Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In process of purchasing a "Brand New" 2012 Executive Demo Sunset Red XCT on Monday. Looking forward to learning all there is to know about my new bike and getting to know my fellow proud Victory riders. Little nervous about my purchase, as it is a big one and a lot of money to spend on a bike but I love to ride and it is time to get something I can see myself owning and enjoying for long long time. Have had many bikes over years and my current is a 2008 Suzuki B-King so the XCT is a huge change but for the better. Looking forward to my 7 hr ride home from the Dealership on Monday. Should be a great first ride.

Lou

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Hi all,

In process of purchasing a "Brand New" 2012 Executive Demo Sunset Red XCT on Monday. Looking forward to learning all there is to know about my new bike and getting to know my fellow proud Victory riders. Little nervous about my purchase, as it is a big one and a lot of money to spend on a bike but I love to ride and it is time to get something I can see myself owning and enjoying for long long time. Have had many bikes over years and my current is a 2008 Suzuki B-King so the XCT is a huge change but for the better. Looking forward to my 7 hr ride home from the Dealership on Monday. Should be a great first ride.

Lou
Welcome to the forum. Have you seen and test ridden the bike?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen numerous pictures of every angle but have not rode that particular bike. Did take one out locally though and was a great ride. I am taking a little risk with this bike but got what I think is a great deal on it and worst case scenario I just walk away from the deal if any time of scam. Very reputable Dealer and bike comes with warranty and has been serviced so thinking should be OK. Now you got me worried, thanks bro lol

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I have seen numerous pictures of every angle but have not rode that particular bike. Did take one out locally though and was a great ride. I am taking a little risk with this bike but got what I think is a great deal on it and worst case scenario I just walk away from the deal if any time of scam. Very reputable Dealer and bike comes with warranty and has been serviced so thinking should be OK.
Make sure you ride it before anything else, and make sure you get a really good deal on it. This is likely a demo tour bike, which means it traveled across country, and hundreds of folks (if not thousands) test rode it. It's possible that it was dropped too - it would be surprising if it wasn't. That being said, be cautious, and don't assume that it's perfect just because the dealer's selling it.

Now you got me worried, thanks bro lol
Not my intention at all. But you should proceed with caution, which is hard when you get excited about a new bike. Do your homework before you go to see this bike, and know exactly how much you can get a brand new one for, so you know if the amount of savings is worth the risk or not.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Chill.
It's warrantied so they're backing the play. It's a '12. Not that I have any particular bias but there are four or five items specific to the '12 that distinguish it. Some of those items are optional on the '13's and other items are of, let's say, a more economical manufacture on the newest model year to keep the price stable in the face of rising costs.

So you are getting a loaded road boat for what others are paying extra for of doing without.

Get eggzited, stay eggzited. This kind of butterflies in the stomach is supposed to be the good variety. Don't waste a rare moment like this fretting. Just act like an adult at the dealership when you go. Remember it ain't a done deal until you say so. Beforehand revel in the anticipation. After the fact, well you'll not need interweb knuckleheads like Pop telling you how much you are going to enjoy the machine. The proof as they say is in the pudding..

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
As Ronnie would say, "Trust but verify." And remember, when it comes to the price, it never hurts to ask for a break. You can offer less than their offer and always go up from there. I like you saying that you are not afraid to walk. Good attitude. Keep us posted and if you get it, post pictures, please.
As far as info goes, the search function works well. Re test riding the bike; make certain the tires are aired up (38F-40R would be good) and the rear shock is AT LEAST up to the label in the right saddlebag lid. Lots of luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great advice guys. I do think I am getting a great deal but maybe you can tell me what you think. A little outside advice never hurts. Spent a lot of time going back and forth to set all this up and stressed numerous times that I was not interested unless bike was near perfect even if used. So anyway the bike was an Executive Demo and has around 6k miles on it. Perfect looking in pictures and according to Dealer never repainted or anything so assuming never dropped(well severely anyway lol). The deal I am getting is basically after rebates, which it qualifies for even with the mileage the bike has. So 2012 XCT with 6k miles, Kicker upgraded speakers all around with originals returned to me, trunk and bag liner kit, couple accessory cables thrown in and of course the 2yr warranty all for 18200 out the door including all prep and freight. So good deal or am I paying to much for this? Input appreciated and always welcome. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Thanks for the great advice guys. I do think I am getting a great deal but maybe you can tell me what you think. A little outside advice never hurts. Spent a lot of time going back and forth to set all this up and stressed numerous times that I was not interested unless bike was near perfect even if used. So anyway the bike was an Executive Demo and has around 6k miles on it. Perfect looking in pictures and according to Dealer never repainted or anything so assuming never dropped(well severely anyway lol). The deal I am getting is basically after rebates, which it qualifies for even with the mileage the bike has. So 2012 XCT with 6k miles, Kicker upgraded speakers all around with originals returned to me, trunk and bag liner kit, couple accessory cables thrown in and of course the 2yr warranty all for 18200 out the door including all prep and freight. So good deal or am I paying to much for this? Input appreciated and always welcome. Thanks guys.
Be aware, the 2yr warranty is likely not the factory, but an extended warranty, which comes with a $50 deductible per repair, and dealers will have to call in and get repairs approved before they actually work on it. Ask your dealer if it's a Polaris warranty, and ask what the deductible is. You need to know this before you decide. In my opinion, 6,000 miles is nothing on a Victory, but 6,000 miles on a demo bike means the bike got started about 6,000 times. If you assume that some inexperienced riders have taken it for a spin, the clutch might need a sooner than normal replacement. The rest might be good to go unless you see visual evidence suggesting otherwise.

How much can you get a 2012 XCT out the door, with no miles on it? Find out what the difference is, and you should be able to decide if it's worth the savings or not.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I think you're getting a very good deal. 5k off list, great color... Other than resale due to it being a year older than a 2013, there were zero upgrades and are no other advantages on buying the 2013 model...

I wouldn't worry about the clutch at all--most new/demo riders aren't spending much time in the friction zone at low speeds on a big bike like that... Plus most new riders will pick other, smaller bikes for demo rides...

If the warranty is a Polaris warranty you might want to try getting them to throw in the 5 year...its cheap and they might throw it in to close a sale...

Good luck!!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is the standard warranty they offer on all new bikes currently. First year Polaris and the 2nd yr is the Extended with the $50 deductible. Been a hassle trying to get this done with my Bank. Getting Loan through them in order to not lose a $500 rebate from Victory that goes away if you take longer term financing. I can't afford $500 plus a month payment so short term is out of the question. The bike has a MCO not a Title and the loan officers won't release funds till they get a copy of the Title with them as the Lien holder. Dealer will accept a Letter of Credit to release the bike to me so working on that now. Hopefully it will all work out and I will be going on Monday to pick up bike. Did a little more haggling and got an extra $200 off so now with all taxes and tags it is going to be $18000 even out the door. Tried to get him to throw in the Chrome Handholds but he wouldn't go for that or the extra 3yrs on the Warranty but gave me $200 off instead, I'll take it lol. If you build the exact bike on Victory Website with the options I am getting it is $23153.96 without Tax, Tags, Prep, Freight Fees. So am saving $6000 plus or roughly a $1 a mile since it has 6200 miles on it. Think that is well worth it. Lets hope it looks as immaculate in person as it does on the 15 pics I have of it and of course doesn't drive sideways down the road when I test drive it lol. Wish me luck, will post details of experience and trip back as soon as I can. Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
... Wish me luck, will post details of experience and trip back as soon as I can. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you Crossroads!

Everything is set and good to go finally between bank, dealership, etc.. Will be leaving on Sunday and arriving home Monday evening with my "brand new" 2012 Sunset Red XCT. Hoping I get fully accustomed to the controls and all quickly. 7 hr ride is long enough as is for a 1st ride so hoping get used to it so it is enjoyable and stress free. Been riding a 200HP 400lb Standard for 5 yrs now so is totally different world between the 2. Have had a lot of bikes but never a Touring model before. Looking forward to it though and other than it being a 90 degree and humid day in the forecast with a slight chance of hitting some Thunderstorms when I get back to my area it should be an awesome ride.

Will post pics and all as soon as I get a chance. Love the looks of these bikes stock by the way but like many others have stated from what I read on here. I wish the aftermarket was bigger for these bikes but am used to it being limited. I ride a 1yr only in the US model now so never has been a big supply of affordable aftermarket upgrades/accessories available to me but maybe in time as the popularity grows of Victory's amazing line of Motorcycles that will change. We can all only hope...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Picked up the bike on Monday and drove 392 miles back from Ohio to Pa. Was a great ride for the most part. Was expecting Rain the whole way but did not get hit with any so that the plus. However it was extremely hot and humid and I did not prepare for 7 hours of blistering Sun properly. So needless to say I have some pretty severe Sunburn. That and a nice heat blister on the inside of my Right Calf from the Exhaust I believe. I read that they get hot but having a few Twins before, I thought maybe you guys were exaggerating a bit. Well you weren't and I really need to figure out what to do about that. Is something that I really dislike about the bike, and the only thing so needs to be fixed if even possible.

My lower back was a little stiff and had some cramping along with sore bum but attributing that to it being a long long time since took a ride that long. Hopefully is not a seat design issue for me but may have to add the Driver Backrest if that even helps. Leg position was awkward for me due to the past 5 yrs riding a standard with legs under me instead of ahead of me. Bars were fine on my wrists but I really would like some apes on this bike or at least something with some significant rise. Think it would help my shoulders and back even and make for a more comfortable ride but options are very limited it seems currently.

Overall the bike is amazing and I can see myself enjoying it for many years to come. Just have to get used to the inferior braking, acceleration, and handling from my other bike. On the highway was so easy to get used to and enjoy but i do feel a little uneasy at slow speeds. Bike is a tad Top heavy and feels like it wants to go over quick if you let it lean to much. That along with my difficulty getting used to the foot positioning made for a few interesting slow speed situation at the gas stations, etc.. lol. How long did it take for most of you guys to adjust? Between getting hung up on the floorboards and trying to make sure I do not get my ankle or calf stuck to hot pipes I had some moments I thought was going to join the VTOC but muscled through it lol.

Anyway, here is some pictures. Stock "Executive Demo" 2012 Sunset Red XCT with Bailey's Windscreen and 6500 miles.

20130613_170412.jpg

20130613_170420.jpg

20130613_170439.jpg

20130613_170448.jpg

20130613_170428.jpg

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Congrats. I recognize that bike. I don' t recognize the blistered leg bit. Mine is the same bike but the heat issues are not to that level. Curious.
Pop doesn't have heat control far up the scale of priorities but others have suggested position experimenting with your vent system. Hey, couldn't hurt and the price is right.
Don't know your size but whatever it is you will benefit from getting some air between your carcass and them pipes. There's ample room on them boards to get away from the heat, at least in my book. If you are short legged there's adjustment in the boards. Definitely roast leg takes the joy out of riding.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Picked up the bike on Monday and drove 392 miles back from Ohio to Pa. ...

Anyway, here is some pictures. Stock "Executive Demo" 2012 Sunset Red XCT with Bailey's Windscreen and 6500 miles.
She's gorgeous! Congrats! cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts