Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New High-Ball Owner

Hello from Asheville.. Closest Vic' dealer I think is better than an hour away (shamefully). However, while out of town (kudo's to Phil at Victory of Louisville) I got to finally check out a High-ball in person.

Nice nice scoot. It's changed my mind I believe from having Yamaha Raider on the brain for better than a couple years now. The High-ball is set up perfectly for what I'm after, except for maybe some carry capability (which can be done with I suppose a sissybar bag or some kind of quick detach bag). Saw/heard some RPW Slash pipes while there.. Ok I'll take 'em! thumb up

So given I have no local dealer to support within an hour drive (that I know of), and a solid quote from a solid dealer, I foresee a trip over the mountain for a couple guys from Louisville to deliver a scoot and get some Smokey Mtn riding in, hopefully before the end of the year. (wood flooring project must happen first for wife-acceptance-factor).

There's my story and I'm sticking to it. Sold on the Vic's and sooooo glad to see the company doing well. After two, I cannot see me buying another H-D. Done with overpriced chinese bikes.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't post in threads.. :( Newbie hasn't earned the privilege maybe? :confused: Mr Awesome Admin can I join in? :cheers: Bribe needed? First round on me? LOL!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Deposit on a 2013 High-Ball today unless I come to my senses. Dealer is about 1 1/2 hour drive. Couldn't pass up the quote.

I'll be looking at some kind of sissybar bag parts or luggage rack maybe. Also I'll be in the hunt for exhaust options. Something that performs and rumbles like the old rineharts did on the previously owned fatboy.

Stoked is an understatement! FINALLY!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Can't post in threads.. :( Newbie hasn't earned the privilege maybe? :confused: Mr Awesome Admin can I join in? :cheers: Bribe needed? First round on me? LOL!
You didn't read the rules, but we'll forgive you since you're new. You have access to the rest of the forums now. cheers

Deposit on a 2013 High-Ball today unless I come to my senses.
Huh? If you come to your senses, you will stop beating around the bush and ride that stallion home. :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't read the rules, but we'll forgive you since you're new. You have access to the rest of the forums now. cheers
Yep.. I obviously must have missed something good. :eek:

Huh? If you come to your senses, you will stop beating around the bush and ride that stallion home. :D
If it weren't supposed to be 40-something degrees and coming over that Mountain from TN to Asheville, I'd be all over it.. On top of which I don't even have a decent jacket anymore.. Basement mold got to it. :( and sold the chaps back in 08 when the last scoot (fatboy) left the driveway for the last time with its new owner. I bet I'd have a helluva time just finding my gloves and helmet. Talk about unprepared.. I've gotta go find some trailer straps even.

Spontaneous out of the blue purchase. The quote combined with the Mrs warming up to the idea after I put in my side of the bargain (4" red oak flooring) plus not having the kids this weekend.. Perfect storm for a road-trip to pick'r up. Oh why couldn't it be 67 degrees like last weekend?!?!?! :ride:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! I'm staying stock through break in while I come to some decision about exhaust. Just beginning to learn. Unfortunately no local dealers close by so a dealer-installed download remap will be very inconvenient.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@#//&! No pickup this weekend. Trouble acquiring truck and trailer and snow on there ground at the dealer anyway. Not like I'm riding in this weather anyway. So waiting a week. Oh well. :(

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's home and happy and now I'm anxious for decent riding weather. Yeehaw!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice ride....waitin on mine to arrive tomorrow. Will have to shovel a path to the shed...freakin snow.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now all the work.. Insurance, Registration, NC Sales Tax (gotta love the gub'ment), gear (jacket is ordered and have an eye on a Bell Custom 500).

But also.. Decisions:

I know with Harley's it used to be the sound of exhaust hitting the ground before the bike left the dealer, but I'm being told with Vic, you'll void the warranty if you go with non-Victory exhaust or engine mgmt.

I have to say, their X-Bow swept exhaust I could live with, but I'd hate to be limited to just Victory branded exhaust and Vic tuning hardware/software.

Just how big a deal is this?

Also, are their any auto-tuning plug in systems available?
There's a Cobra setup for the Yamaha's for example.. Plug and play and supposedly works awesome regardless the intake/exhaust combo. Sure would be convenient rather than a 2-hr ride over the mountain for the factory tune as I'm a pretty good wrench myself.

My plethora of questions begins. thumb up

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First little ride today... First impression: Vic has come a loooong way since the Vegas I tested in 2003. No regrets abandoning the idea of a Raider. Now to break in the engine right.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I know with Harley's it used to be the sound of exhaust hitting the ground before the bike left the dealer, but I'm being told with Vic, you'll void the warranty if you go with non-Victory exhaust or engine mgmt.
If you go with aftermarket pipes, the only warranty you'll void is for the stock mufflers. :D

Hypothetically, if you were to be able to blow up your engine, you could pull the fuel controller off the bike, and nobody would know it was ever there. Realistically, you won't be able to blow up the tank engine your bike has.

Also, are their any auto-tuning plug in systems available?
There's a Cobra setup for the Yamaha's for example.. Plug and play and supposedly works awesome regardless the intake/exhaust combo. Sure would be convenient rather than a 2-hr ride over the mountain for the factory tune as I'm a pretty good wrench myself.
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro (http://www.fi2000r.com/html/pwrpro.php). I have it on my bike and love it. Send Kate (Honda East Toledo) a Private Message for pricing as she will give you a deal nobody else can get close to. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
This deserves it's own thread. I didn't even know Cobra brought these out for Vics. Weren't you running aftermarket pipes with the stock map? What difference did this make for you?
I was running D&D's and stock air filter with the stock map, until I added the Lloydz air filter, which commanded a fuel controller. I went with what worked best for my needs, the Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro. This fuel controller does have a thread, here: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=12781. See thread for a wide variety of opinions, including KevinX nearly calling it the antichrist. :ltr: It's been nothing but an angel on my bike. thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you go with aftermarket pipes, the only warranty you'll void is for the stock mufflers. :D

Hypothetically, if you were to be able to blow up your engine, you could pull the fuel controller off the bike, and nobody would know it was ever there. Realistically, you won't be able to blow up the tank engine your bike has.
Well allllllrighty then. thumb up

Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro (http://www.fi2000r.com/html/pwrpro.php). I have it on my bike and love it. Send Kate (Honda East Toledo) a Private Message for pricing as she will give you a deal nobody else can get close to. ;)
You are the man!! Awesome! I read up on the Fi2000 when I was cruising the raider forum prior to my "victorious" change of mind towards the High-Ball.

I didn't even consider that they made one for the Vic. Well that little problem is solved then. cheers Those Raider guys swear by the Cobra unit, and were actually working with some folks at Cobra to improve the build of the device.

Nice!! With both parts and I imagine a couple header gaskets, I can git r done in the garage and ride off.

PS. The last scoot required a jet kit, if that tells you anything.. This plug and play stuff just might make me shed a tear. No tearing into the carb and praying you get it somewhere close without screwing something up.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there also a "break in" thread where everybody and their brother debate about breaking a new 106, either by following the manual or riding it like you stole it approach, etc. ?

What's your take, Sir? I can certainly understand both concepts of varying 'engine' speed without extensive constant speed, and also getting those rings seated best you can by good roll-on's.

I did one little 1/3 throttle roll-on for giggles and immediately found out this ain't no 88 cube pushrod. LOL!! This thing stock would walk all over my old fatboy on it's best day.

BTW, Thank you for spoon feeding the newb.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Is there also a "break in" thread where everybody and their brother debate about breaking a new 106, either by following the manual or riding it like you stole it approach, etc. ?

What's your take, Sir? I can certainly understand both concepts of varying 'engine' speed without extensive constant speed, and also getting those rings seated best you can by good roll-on's.

I did one little 1/3 throttle roll-on for giggles and immediately found out this ain't no 88 cube pushrod. LOL!! This thing stock would walk all over my old fatboy on it's best day.

BTW, Thank you for spoon feeding the newb.
Here are a few threads on break-in period to get you started:
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8812
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=3377
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=64610

If you want more, use the search box (top/left of the page) - I recommend the one that says "Google Custom Search" in it. thumb up

1 - 20 of 23 Posts