Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all. I've been in the market for a new cruiser, as I've stated on this forum before. Obviously it's come down between harley and victory.

I've gotten past my fear of the lack of dealerships, as they don't seem to need them as much as harley, for the most part. However, a new concern has come about. Will these bikes continue to be supported for the foreseeable future?

There has been a lot of talk that with the resurrection of Indian, Polaris is gonna either scale back, or phase out Victory as their lead brand. Being a current Buell owner, this scares the hell outta me. The last thing I want to deal with is having two bikes in my garage with no support, parts, resale, or possibility of future brand growth.

How much of this is "the sky is falling" and how much is factual possibility? I just don't want to shell out the cash for a pricey bike only to end up hosed again.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Having Indian to go after the nostalgia/tradition market frees up Victory to stop chasing Harley Davidson's tail and build some innovative machinery. They might build bikes that set the cruiser world on its ear. Recently, they have been trying to sell spoke wheels and apehangers, maybe the Indian brand will take that and Vic can go back to making killer bikes.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Victory shifts models around. They create new models and retire old ones as the market shifts around but I don't think they are going anywhere soon.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Evening all. I've been in the market for a new cruiser, as I've stated on this forum before. Obviously it's come down between harley and victory.

I've gotten past my fear of the lack of dealerships, as they don't seem to need them as much as harley, for the most part. However, a new concern has come about. Will these bikes continue to be supported for the foreseeable future?
When all the hulabaloo about Indians first surfaced, I was worried for the continuation of our brand. After I rode one and discovered the lack of ammenities for touring folks, I'm pretty sure the Vic brand will be just fine.

·
Registered
608 Posts

There has been a lot of talk that with the resurrection of Indian, Polaris is gonna either scale back, or phase out Victory as their lead brand. Being a current Buell owner, this scares the hell outta me. The last thing I want to deal with is having two bikes in my garage with no support, parts, resale, or possibility of future brand growth.

How much of this is "the sky is falling" and how much is factual possibility? I just don't want to shell out the cash for a pricey bike only to end up hosed again.
There is a video interview on the web asking this very question by one of the motorcycle rags..
The answer was that Victory would build bikes leaning toward the younger crowd.

There not going anywhere.
Most young riders are not interested in Indian.
The potential for Victory will be bigger now that Indian is in the picture.
As HC said. They will stop chasing Harley.
Part of the interview said it was time Victory had a new (I think driveline) motor tranny maybe .........

Vic and Indian will have completely different customers. There will be no competing between the two.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
There is a video interview on the web asking this very question by one of the motorcycle rags..
The answer was that Victory would build bikes leaning toward the younger crowd.

As HC said. They will stop chasing Harley.
I think the above is somewhat contradictory. Young folks seem to like the steel frame cruisers with unaturally positioned controls and have bodies that can be deformed for periods of time without suffering permanent damage from it. If that's there gig, then they will still be chasing potential customers of Wide Glides and Fatbobs.

If Indian takes over sporty cruisers, they will have to cheapen them up functionally and cosmetically to fall within younger buyer's budgets.

And if Victory kills their old man touring models, I predict a loss of customers as Indian is not a suitable replacement by a long shot.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say we'll continue to see a new steel framed cruiser with some new combination of beach bars/ape hangers/drag bars and highway pegs/midmounts that emulate some Harley model or other for some time to come. And I'll bet that they'll rest on their laruels with new paint for the touring bikes year after year.

I get the impression that the Polaris execs looked at Harley sales and saw Street Glides sold a ton, hence we get a Chiefton to sell to older guys to ride around town with their friends on sunny weekends. I'd be more inclinded to side with NDABUNKA. Whatever Indian makes next will likely be targeted to people who desire a shiny garage toy to show off to their golfing buddies.

·
Registered
450 Posts
That would be great, but I was looking at a high ball... Haha!
So buy a highball. As far as I can tell, the difference in the highball and the other steel frame bikes is the bars, fenders, paint, and whitewall tires. So unless they scrap the entire steel frame line, you'll still have parts available.

·
Registered
450 Posts
So buy a highball. As far as I can tell, the difference in the highball and the other steel frame bikes is the bars, fenders, paint, and whitewall tires. So unless they scrap the entire steel frame line, you'll still have parts available.
I wasn't trying to sound snippy. I just don't quite understand why so many people put faith in what consumers say about the future of a brand. I choose to believe Meneto when he says Victory isn't going away. That's all it is, a choice of what to believe since none of us have a crystal ball. Victory is growing in a market that is different than HDs. It makes sense to keep the line alive. Indian is certainly going after a piece of the HD market. I don't think Indian will hurt HD any time soon but HD will be smart to pay attention.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I test-rode the Indians. They're gorgeous. Our test course was of varied streets and speeds, but was short. They seemed to ride and handle very nicely. If I didn't have my Harley and if I had a local dealer I would buy one, no question. But there wasn't enough wow factor to make me get rid of my Harley for one, and having to travel 4 hours one way for warranty work is not an option for me.

As far as Victory, I bought an XCT simply because it is not a Harley. The primary reason I bought it is because the OL was quite uncomfortable on the back of my Street Glide. She has much more room on the Victory, the position of the floorboards suit her better, and she likes the comfort and security of the trunk as opposed to the sissy bar on the Glide. The XCT also rides much better than the Glide, which is lowered from the factory and only has 2" of rear suspension travel. As was said, Indian can chase Harley and Victory can focus on building innovative products. Like any manufacturer, they'll want a diversified product lineup, so I imagine they will continue with both a cruiser line and touring line.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies everyone. I love my buell, but every time I go into the garage and stare at her, I want to kick harley in the balls.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I like the jacket concept, but I own both kinds.

Anyway, if Vic started both companies this year, I'd agree that'd make perfect sense just like Yami's now got Star. Pretty silly to those of us who know a Star is just a new logo on a Yami, but to those mesmerized by the marketing such branding seems to work.

But Vic has a lot tied up in a great lineup of bikes. If they came out next year and gave me the choice between a wire wheel Chief or a 36" seat height adventure bike, and I was in the market, I'd go buy an R1200R or RT.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well DD every time I go into the garage and don't see my Indian I want to kick the thief in the cajones.
I too lived through the demise of the manufacturer of my machine, in my case Gilroy, CA based IMCOA. My 26k Indian Vintage was orphaned two months after I bought it and unlike Buell owners, I didn't have any factory to provide any motor or chassis parts after Gilroy tanked.
When it was stolen nine years later and after I had grieved an appropriate period of time I bought a Victory largely because I believe they will be around awhile to back my play if I need it.
This is the #2 manufacturer of heavyweight cruisers globally. It's a confusing stat when you factor in the resurgent Indian, but it is the fact and I can't think of any boards of director that have voted to discontinue production of product because it was number 2. Your best strategy if you are #2 is to shoot for #1. Every other option requires accepting loss of revenue, real or potential, and stockholders take a dim view of that result.
So is Vic in it for the long haul?
Right now, how can they be otherwise? It's a bargain Polaris struck with Old Nick. Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.

As far as them folding up goes, Mark Twain said it more than a century back,
"The report of my death was an exaggeration."

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Victory, if Polaris smartens up and starts backing the motorcycle product better than they do their farm quads, could be around for a long time. If history repeats itself, as it always has, you will see Indian go away for about the 8th time. The huge price premium for Indian will not be able to be sustained with the company's present questionable level of support to the end users. People paying the premium for vehicles and other items demand the no-bother follow-up and they will go elsewhere if they don't get it. A fact clearly seen with the mid-life crisis surge to get back on a bike. Both branding's could survive but Polaris would have to take some marketing and support lessons from their competitors. Reliability and a satisfied user base are worth more advertising than any company can buy. For the informed rider, it's not about the T-shirts.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If history repeats itself, as it always has, you will see Indian go away for about the 8th time.
Indian will outsell Victory within the 2nd year of production under Polaris... making them #2 In heavy cruisers. Polaris has DEEP pockets. They carried Victory in the red for years and never batted an eye.

2015:
Harley
Indian
Victory

·
Registered
450 Posts
Victory, if Polaris smartens up and starts backing the motorcycle product better than they do their farm quads, could be around for a long time. If history repeats itself, as it always has, you will see Indian go away for about the 8th time. The huge price premium for Indian will not be able to be sustained with the company's present questionable level of support to the end users. People paying the premium for vehicles and other items demand the no-bother follow-up and they will go elsewhere if they don't get it. A fact clearly seen with the mid-life crisis surge to get back on a bike. Both branding's could survive but Polaris would have to take some marketing and support lessons from their competitors. Reliability and a satisfied user base are worth more advertising than any company can buy. For the informed rider, it's not about the T-shirts.

While I agree that Polaris needs to step up the support piece based on Internet chatter, have you read some of the horror stories on other forums dealing with warranty support? If it's no-bother follow- up, I don't know where folks could turn. Before choosing Victory, I scoured the forums of all the bikes. Horror stories where everywhere. I chose Victory because they make what I want. 15,800 trouble free miles and just ordered another set of those junk Dunlop E3s that folks can't get mileage out of. Oh, this is my first tire change.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I agree
It used to be that a race won on Sunday meant sales on Monday ....
Not any more..
It's service and quality that sells now.
And no one can hide any more, as the word of mouth spread through the internet will make or break you.........

So I hope Polaris is paying attention .....

Over on the *** I was reading about the Indian. There is a lot of them on the road already. They are selling fast....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts