Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm coming to you guys from the Volusia Riders forum. I am in the market for a Victory Cross Country right now. It doesn't have to be new though. I decided last year that the XC would be my next bike.
I have to get my finances right first, but I hope to be riding one here within the next 6 months.

·
13,185 Posts
after you come up with final price tell salesmen you want the 500 mile check up for free. That will save you a good 200 bucks. Ask for 20% off extras for the first year.
Be firm

·
Registered
99 Posts
Make sure you ride one at highway speeds for 20 minutes or more before you buy. Buffeting can be a big problem on these (and other similar bikes)

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the demo ride earlier this year. I rode the XC and the tour. The tour had a much taller shield and didn't give me any buffeting. The XC was crazy with the buffeting. I will definitely have to have them include a tall shield. Are there any recommendations on brand or type?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did the demo ride earlier this year. I rode the XC and the tour. The tour had a much taller shield and didn't give me any buffeting. The XC was crazy with the buffeting. I will definitely have to have them include a tall shield. Are there any recommendations on brand or type?
It seems to be subjective. Some claim they get no buffeting. Others get hammered by it. I'd recommended that whatever one you choose you get a right to return and/or try it before you drive away with it.

Madstad has a good solution that seems to work for many people and he has a 60 day return policy.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Agreed. No ride-no deal. I did not get to ride my new Judge beforehand.

Now- nothing happened. But looking back- I could not have been more stupid. That will not happen again.

You probably needn't be too concerned about a major factory defect- especially a mechanical one. You have every right to be concerned about the competency of the "technicians" that perform the pre-delivery checks and service. and you also have every right to verify the proper operation of everything on the bike & make yourself aware of any issues that have been at least somewhat common- like the buffeting.

That way you and you alone determine if that unit is the bike you will be taking, and what if anything needs to be corrected before any money changes hands.

Otherwise- you are at their mercy

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Indeed, I'll back up everything hat was said here. I have almost -0- buffeting on my XCT and I came from a GoldWing GL1800. I had no idea I had a buffeting problem until I got my XCT. Tall windshields FTW!

I bought mine May 2013 with -0- miles on it, I now have 16,300 or so and no issues with the exception of normal maintenance and a set of tires.

When they say "Ride One, You'll Own One", they are not bullshitting you. Do yourself a favor; don't test ride until you are ready to buy; I wasn't planning on buying until 2014, but the dealer made it work for me. Gave me a good trade on my Wing and a good price on the XCT, and I had them include the first service and an additional Oil Change Kit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts