1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Futureshop like a Canadian Walmart? Never heard of this store , or do you guys have Walmarts there too ?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Futureshop like a Canadian Walmart? Never heard of this store , or do you guys have Walmarts there too ?
Yes we have Wal-Marts here in Canada, they are exactly the same as the ones in the States.
FutureShop is exactly like Best Buy stores with electronics, software and stuff like that.

I guess it makes sense to close one twin store down and have everything under one name. It is just sad that none of the employees knew about it, a lot of people out of work now.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Futureshop and Best Buy are large electronics retailers.

Futureshop is owned by Best Buy but there were Futureshop stores long before they put up the Best Buy. Never understood why they did that, especially when in some areas they are right next to each other. Maybe the corporate plan has always been to eventually close Futureshop but they never said anything to anyone .. just shut them down.

http://futureshop.ca/

http://www.bestbuy.ca/

yes, we have Walmart including their super stores.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You knew it was coming as soon as Best Buy bought out Future Shop, but. I was surprised they operated both as long as they did.

All the new stores they're opened in new shopping centres or relocated were made Best Buys so this was definitely coming.

Really hate what this does to the employees who lost there jobs while other stores are hiring.

One more Canadian retail name chewed up and spit out. The day theY change the name of Canadian Tire will officially confirm us as the 52nd state.

Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Canadian Future Shop = US Best Buy

Canadian Radio Shack = US Circuit City

Canadian Woolco = US Walmart

Canadian Zellers = US Target

Every name on the left is now gone ...... Replaced by their US counterparts name. :mad:

At least the Tim Hortons franchise name is invading SoB

Mike

Mike

·
Registered
971 Posts
This is simply a re-badging in our area. Future Shop will re-open next week as Best-Buy. I can only think this had to do with executive objectives because it just doesn't make any sense unless there are still a lot of locations to close. Implies they are doing something when it will probably have a minimal impact on customer service. In this area they closed the Best Buy a year ago. (they built it only a couple of miles away) It was clearly the better of the two as far as selection goes and especially the people working there. The Future Shop was left alone. So BB gave up the space, all the signs, the experienced personnel and I would imagine some loyal customers. Now they have to pay for the signage and in-store restructuring all over again.

I can only imagine that someone figured this would somehow address their sales losses to the internet businesses. Don't see how though as they both already have good internet offerings. I've ordered on-line twice during the last few months and everything was good.

Related - Target bought out all the Zellers stores then couldn't make it work. Target is pulling out fast too.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Canadian Future Shop = US Best Buy

Canadian Radio Shack = US Circuit City

Canadian Woolco = US Walmart

Canadian Zellers = US Target

Every name on the left is now gone ...... Replaced by their US counterparts name. :mad:

At least the Tim Hortons franchise name is invading SoB

Mike

Mike

Circuit City is nowhere near the kind of store Radio Shack was.

Taget is closing or has closed all Canadian operations.

Tim Hortons is owned by US Wendy's and you'll find many of them sharing the same store area.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Circuit City is nowhere near the kind of store Radio Shack was.

Taget is closing or has closed all Canadian operations.

Tim Hortons is owned by US Wendy's and you'll find many of them sharing the same store area.
Radio Shack started going down hill as soon a Circuit City bought them and rebranded them "The Source" by Circuit City, and then ultimately just The Source. I remember when you used to be able to buy components to build almost any electronic device you wanted. Now the staff couldn't tell you what a resistor was to save their life.

Target bought up Zellers and figured that people would flock to their stores just because. They did, then realized Target only stock the shelves with crap they couldn't sell at home. That experiment didn't last long.

At least when Tims got bought out years ago the name didn't get changed. A steel town (Hamilton) classic startup named for a legendary Toronto Maple Leaf hockey player.

As long as it doesn't become a Stam Makita's Donuts any time soon, and I can continue to order my double double and a Dutchie donut I'll be happy a while longer!

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts