Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any of you have a garden. Mine is about 12' long and 4' wide. I have given away more tomatoes and green beans and cucumbers and peppers then I needed. When picking the vegetates I must eat 8 to 10 cherry tomato's. I swear at times I'm going to turn red. Made blody marys last week end with stuff from the garden. Wasn't to bad

·
Premium Member
13,804 Posts
Of all things grown in a personal garden; tomatoes are my favorite. You just can't buy real tomatoes from the market. They are all grown too fast so they lose their good flavor.
For that reason alone; it's worth going to the trouble and expense of having a garden.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Of all things grown in a personal garden; tomatoes are my favorite. You just can't buy real tomatoes from the market. They are all grown too fast so they lose their good flavor.
For that reason alone; it's worth going to the trouble and expense of having a garden.
Funny you should mention that VJ.....Pretty wife and I have been sweating in the south 40 for the past few hot days, getting the gardens prepped for fall and winter. We have all the above plus a bumper crop of raspberries which are still producing.
I have built her 6 raised beds, most of them I used old garage door panels. They work great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
We have three raised gardens, just about all herbs, some strawberry's and tomato's. I wanna try and turn our old septic field into a garden. Buddy of mine thinks that he can use the old pipes in the field to supply water to the garden. I think the pipes are too big and I would need a big pump to keep the pressure up, house owners before us had installed a new pipe system just before we got the place, then three years later we got hooked up to city water and sewers. I'd like to do a bigger garden, with some water gardens, bamboo, more herbs and stone walk paths.

Blame my grandmother for making me always watch the Victory Garden on PBS when I was younger, that followed by Bob Ross then The New Yankee workshop.

Picture attached is of my property, blue lines are the water lines from the road to our system and the red square is the site I wanna us, total area I have is 1.78 acres.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
That's one big chunk of land. Ours is a mere 100' X 100' city lot.

·
13,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the spring I would water about ever day. As summer went on mother nature would rain about once or twice a week. So never spent money on water. Back when he was here Dad your take fish guts and put in the garden and even get long weed and wrap them around the plants to hold the water in.

Ricz am blowen away by your garden. Mines a postage stamp next to your

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
Mines suffering from lack of water havent had decent rain in ages.
Its a strip of dirt alongside the chain wire fence that fronts the parking lot at the industrial factory complex I'm at.
Was totally going to waste covered with blsck plastic when I cut away the plastic and dug several hundred dollars worth of organic manure and lime into it.
Back braking mattock work to initially bust up the clay dirt.
Hard Work!

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
That's why the raised beds. Not only higher for less back bending, but filled with gooder soil from the dirt store.
If you ever do a raised bed, place on the bottom, newspaper and ground cloth (in that order) so weeds that are in the original soil don't come up through your gooder soil.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Great looking Garden Ricz!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Great looking Garden Ricz!!
That's really my wife's "motorcycle" if you get what I mean. I just help her with its maintenance and tune-ups. She is very accepting of the time and money I spend on my motorcycle, so its only fair that I do the same for her. And she is always right there to assist me when I need additional hands on a bike project.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Before I fully retired from work we were messing with a hydroponics sort of thing for the flower gardens. A 1/4" black plastic line with "T" offs for every plant and a restrictor in the end. The end was buried right at the root ball. This way you only water the wanted plants and not the weeds. It was quite cheap to install and seemed to work well. The trick was making sure there was a restrictor at the end or too much water would come out at the root bal. The incentive was it claimed to save a lot of water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts