Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yes
You have to have the audio adapter cable.
You can then listen to the satellite radio, weather and traffic alerts through the aux input on the radio.

I meant to mention you have to disconnect the ipod connector, but if you're wanting satellite, who cares about ipod.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Zumo 660 cradle Vic sells will NOT work with the 665, you plug the earlier mentioned cable into the harness that comes with your 665.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
There is a GUY that makes a cable that splits this and allows you to STILL use the iPod and the 660/665...BUT not at the same time. You can only listen to one at a time.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Victory sell a GPS harness for the 2013 independent of the IPOD.

For the 665, you will have to use the 665 cradle or circuit card in the 660 mount. Easy fix, search on garmin 665 and it should return the mod detains.

If you just the GPS for radio it will override the intercom function and CB functions if they are installed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What am I missing? I wired my 665 harness into the provided nav socket in the harness of the Tour. It cost me about seven bucks to get a M/F assy and cut the socket end off the Vic harness and replace it with the one I bought. I only did that because the Vic harness socket does not mate to any readily available over the counter plug.
My Ipod connector is not part of the equation. I use the Ipod connector with my Droid through a Dock Boss from time to time and I don't notice any issues with the 665.
I run the 665 on Aux/Nav although it isn't necessary. If I access the MP3 player or the SXM stations or if the 665 GPS is delivering a command it overrides the radio regardless of what source is selected on the radio. Sourcing Aux/Nav just eliminates any other source from cutting in if I shut down the 665.
The functions for MP3 and SXM are only available on the 665 touchscreen. I think that if they were available on the control wart of the bike I would still use the touchscreen. Easier than tapping out morse code on the wart. The 665 interface however is stone age.
I don't use the Ipod for much anymore considering that the Droid and the 665 hold hands bluetooth.

Am I missing some functionality that would recommend moving my set up to the Ipod connector?

One more thing. The 665 is a halfbaked solution. Too bad too. It is exactly the right idea for a motorcycle. An electronic Leatherman, a compact box of info and entertainment that is easily removeable.

If it wasn't glitchy in its operational capacity, unbelievably dated in its presentation and interface, reliant on Garmin software which is pathetic, virtually invisible except at night unless shaded by some method that negates its compactness, then it would be a marvel. Oh yeah, another favorite of mine is that I'm jamming along and DING! Snow in the area. Really? Not unless by the area you mean that while I am riding in the plains in 100 degree temps to my west are the Rockies and somewhere up there above the tree line yes Virginia, there is snow, or rain or whatever inclement weather that won't affect me. But it is what it is.

You can have part of the 665's benefits for less than 800$ by other means but you can't have all of them. The one thing that truly recommends it is that it is the only team in its league so you either suck up and deal or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Pop, how do you really feel about your Garmin? - Mike

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
What am I missing? I wired my 665 harness into the provided nav socket in the harness of the Tour. It cost me about seven bucks to get a M/F assy and cut the socket end off the Vic harness and replace it with the one I bought. I only did that because the Vic harness socket does not mate to any readily available over the counter plug.
Pop,

You did it the hard way, or quite possibly the wrong way. Without ever cutting a wire or splicing into anything, you could have used the Victory Auxiliary Audio Cord ( http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/victory/2013/pages/detail.aspx?ItemID=2877196(PolarisPGACatalog) )

It simply plugs into the audio OUT lead on the Garmin zumo 665 harness and then plugs into the iPod adapter plug in the fairing.

The 665 interface however is stone age.
I don't use the Ipod for much anymore considering that the Droid and the 665 hold hands bluetooth.
If you think the zumo interface is stone age (and it is compared to most smartphones), then you need to see the other options out there like Tom-Tom or some of the other LESSER known GPS units. For what it does, the zumo 665 interface is adequate).

One more thing. The 665 is a halfbaked solution. Too bad too. It is exactly the right idea for a motorcycle. An electronic Leatherman, a compact box of info and entertainment that is easily removeable.
I totally disagree. It is an electronic leatherman (great analogy)...but although the zumo 665 is not perfect, there are many features that work well and I for one, have never traveled without mine on my bike. I LOVE my zumo!

If it wasn't glitchy in its operational capacity, unbelievably dated in its presentation and interface, reliant on Garmin software which is pathetic, virtually invisible except at night unless shaded by some method that negates its compactness, then it would be a marvel.
Have you updated your Garmin? Many of the bugs have been fixed, although some still exist. With that said, I rarely have trouble with my GPS unit. As for seeing it during the day in direct sunlight...YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT...terrible glass glare. The Garmin software is (in my opinion) the best available on a motorcycle specific unit. Yep, there are some issues if you are a "power user", but for me, I rarely see any of these "glitches".

Oh yeah, another favorite of mine is that I'm jamming along and DING! Snow in the area. Really? Not unless by the area you mean that while I am riding in the plains in 100 degree temps to my west are the Rockies and somewhere up there above the tree line yes Virginia, there is snow, or rain or whatever inclement weather that won't affect me. But it is what it is.
Your IMG file is corrupt. You need to replace it and your NavWeather will work fine then.

You can have part of the 665's benefits for less than 800$ by other means but you can't have all of them. The one thing that truly recommends it is that it is the only team in its league so you either suck up and deal or not.
Yes you can. There are many GPS options out there for a fraction of the cost of the zumo. What they don't have is XM Radio, NavWeather , weather forecasts, MP3 player (some do and some don't), and aren't water resistant. If you think losing a signal with a GPS is bad...I know you know how bad signal loss is with a smartphone. Go through Kansas or Nebraska with AT&T...and you'll see what I mean...and then there's data charges.

Nope, I'm not a spokesman for Garmin, but I do use their product as it is the best out there right now. I run a website for the zumo 220/550/660/665 and 350LM. There are close to 40,000 members...and while I am sure every one of them can complain about one feature or another, many of these people would not trade their zumo for any other GPS out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts