Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to mount a gps for my trip in July somewhere it wouldnt get in the way, yet still have good visibility.
so here is the beginning:
removed the upper plastic fairing. Split it apart and cut an aluminum strip that i attached with 3m extreme mount tape

With stainless hardware i mounted the ram ball (RAM Mounts RAM-B-238 RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Diamond Base with 1" Ball on amazon)

next i cut off the stock nav connector since i couldnt source one faster than 14 weeks...maybe...from the UK. so i took the opportunity to learn how to assemble and crimp a waterproof weatherpak connector

then i cut off the rca ends on the 90 degree 1/8" minijack stereo cord.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P1 - NAV +12V Switched Power - Red
P2 - NAV Audio (-) - Grey/Dark Blue (do this one last though...the one in the magnum harness looked like it was maybe light blue and dark blue?)
P3 - NAV Audio Left (+) - Dark Blue/Orange
P4 - NAV Ground - Black/White
P5 - NAV Audio Right (+) - Dark Blue/Pink

the next step in the process is finding a way to cleanly get all the wires routed through the 2 windshield plastic pieces.
i ended up finding a pack of grommets of all different sizes at Oreilly auto parts. placed them in boiling water to soften them up and then cut into the top most piece just enough to get the grommet to place in there. Because the 395lm has a different style connector than the 590lm gps i had to make sure the grommet would fit over the small square part that provides power to the cradle(the small square is a little smaller than 1/2" )

i did have some extra space in the grommet. i was able to make the audio wire "thicker" with some shrink wrap. I will likely put some black rtv behind the grommet just to make up the difference.

night test:

final mount

final ram mount position

and it works great. did 400 miles down to Raton, NM to test it...and it worked flawlessly. paused my music that was coming in via Bluetooth. and told me navigation cues as well as did a fast beep interrupt when there was a hazard ahead or speed limit reduction required.

done and done. ready to ride.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nice looking job. But at night it's going to look like your at the drive in movie. :grin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and thats a problem? lol

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Looks like a great job. Awesome idea using the aluminum to reinforce the mounting area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts