Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ahve had 2-3 times a noticeable amount of gas leaking out of the right side of the engine, at speed it sprays onto my right shin. Seems to be intermittent, not alays happening, and most noticeable in terms of volume during acceleration.
I can't tell exactly where it is coming out from, as the wind picks up the flow, sometimes an actual stream of gas.
I've not had the plastic off to see where this may be coming from. Anybody had this happend or have ideals. I'd guess it comes out just behind the right side cheese wedge.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If this happens when you have a full tank only you most likely have a bent/damaged fuel filler neck. They can get damaged if you hook the gas nozzle into the tank rather than holding it and the weight of the handle can bend the aluminum causing leakage. I've had a strong smell of fuel a few times on my Vision but it's always turned out to be pilot error not putting the gas cap back on so it seals up correctly.

·
Registered
209 Posts
anyone else have a leaky gas cap?

I think I finally figured out that mine leaks after a fill up. It sloshes around and checking the cap when I got home and it's all wet around the cap. Cap is still tight, then it runs down wherever and leaves a puddle.
checking price from Honda east toledo with shipping is $60 :(

·
13,002 Posts
There is a cap on ebay or NAPA has one for less p/n 703-1220

look at the bung lip it could be bent. With a channel lock pliers you might be able to bend it back

·
Registered
7 Posts
08's had soft aluminum filler necks. Easily bent if you rest the nozzle in it, and it will indeed crack at the junction of the neck and tank. Had mine replaced under warranty, it was doing exactly as you described.

I tried straightening the top of the neck where the gas cap seats, that helped a little, but there was nothing I could do about the tank crack. Anything over 3/4 full and it would hose my right leg down with gas on acceleration.

They changed to a stronger neck on the 09's.

Jim

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The wife's had a bad fuel rail. Was leaking right where the rubber hoses were vulcanized to the pipe work. It started as a drip and got progressively worse.

Bike was new and under warranty and of course the fixed it right off because it is a safety issue. If you have a similar issue you might try asking nicely if they will fix it out of good will and concern for your safety. Can't hurt to ask. Pull the right cheese wedge the rail is right there. Ours leaked near where the fuel hose from the tank connects.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've had a strong smell of fuel a few times on my Vision but it's always turned out to be pilot error not putting the gas cap back on so it seals up correctly.
This happened to me on my first two up ride after purchasing my Vision. Glad to eliminate the gas smell. Pulled over, tightened cap, and it all got better.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The wife's had a bad fuel rail. Was leaking right where the rubber hoses were vulcanized to the pipe work. It started as a drip and got progressively worse....Pull the right cheese wedge the rail is right there. Ours leaked near where the fuel hose from the tank connects.
THIS right HERE was what the problem was with a friend of mine's '09 Vision. We traded bikes one day and I was wearing shorts. He NEVER wears ANYTHING other than jeans so he never noticed it. I actually refused to ride it more than the 1/2 mile it took to feel the fuel as we didn't know what was causing the leak. His was out of warranty. I think the dealrship charged him a hundred or so to replace hoses

1 - 8 of 8 Posts