Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering at about what mileage does your little yellow gas light come on? I always seem to fill up before it comes one but thought it would be nice to know. Maybe one day I will just take a nice long ride and see for myself but thought others might have some kind of idea. Thanks

·
Registered
539 Posts
Around town I usually wait for it to come on. My Kingpin says it has a 5 gallon tank, and whenever I stop and fill up after the light comes on I usually require about 4 gallons +/-. I fill up about every 100 to 150 miles when on a long ride.

I get about 35 to 40 mpg so I guess I have about that many miles to get gas after the light comes on.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just wondering at about what mileage does your little yellow gas light come on? I always seem to fill up before it comes one but thought it would be nice to know. Maybe one day I will just take a nice long ride and see for myself but thought others might have some kind of idea. Thanks
I've checked this a number of times and I CONSTANTLY have right at 80 miles left in the tank when the light comes on. I have verified that it is pretty accurate for highway travel so generally look for a station within the next 40 miles or so and don't really get worried until I've gone over 60. If I am in the city, that figure is about 50% of that as I can't resist twisting the wrist from the stop lights. Shortest I have run into was 50 miles AFTER the light came on and that was all in city, stop & go.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Stop what?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Low Fuel Light

Mine usually comes on around 178 miles when I'm commuting and riding around town, and I usually will fill-up then, or sometimes go another 25 miles or so. I have a 5.8 gal tank, and around town get approx. 44 mpg, and on the highway long distance have gotten 48 mpg at 65-70 mph.

The XCT are suppose to have 1.0 gals. when the LFL comes on, however I have put as much as 2.0 gals. when I fill-up right after the light comes on. My Dealer and I went back and forth with Victory for months about this until finally like the fifth Tech fessed up and admitted they purposely had the LFL come on at 2.0 gals. vice 1.0gals so we don't burn up our fuel pumps. There is also a design/engineering flaw in the way these tanks/fuel float was designed.

When asked why there was no "Tech Bulletin" on this, there was that usual "you could hear crickets" on the other end of the phone.

Elliot
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
mine usually pops on around 160-170 miles, and I'll usually push it another 30 or 40 lol. The most fuel I've ever put in was 5.5 gallons (!) when I missed our exit on I-15 for Soda Springs and ended up most of the way to Preston, ID.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
My light fuel bar starts flashing at around 165 miles give or take but I have yet to put in more than 4 gallons of gas. I have a running average of 42 mpg's right now but that may change with the upcoming stage 1 flash.

·
Registered
75 Posts
First off miker thanks for this thread. My light comes on at 120 miles consistently. I have never really pushed it past that. I did always think it was odd that i could only put in about 2-3 gallons afterward. "I thought this was a 5 gallon tank?" LMAO!!! I just never considered running it out of fuel to see how far i can go. And never will cuz i dont push, i ride!

Tunica, MS is 55 miles from my driveway in Memphis. I always put five bucks in on the return trip. I know the bike will get there and back on a tank but i always thought why risk it. I guess i wasnt risking anything!!!

·
13,318 Posts
First off you should read your owners manual it will tell you how big your gas tank is and it will tell how much you have left when light comes on.
Second if you would use your trip meter when you fill up and learned what your miles per gallon is you could do the math that would tell you how many more miles you might be able to go when the light comes on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Gotta call bullsh*t on the manual. It says the indicator light comes on when there is "approximately" 0.8 gallons (3 liters) of fuel left. I have NEVER put four gallons of gas in my bike and i only have filled up with the light on. And thats at 120 or 140 on the tripometer. It got to the point where i figured they were just wrong about the size of the tank.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Gotta call bullsh*t on the manual. It says the indicator light comes on when there is "approximately" 0.8 gallons (3 liters) of fuel left. I have NEVER put four gallons of gas in my bike and i only have filled up with the light on. And thats at 120 or 140 on the tripometer. It got to the point where i figured they were just wrong about the size of the tank.
The capacity's right, it's just the low-fuel sensor is usually not calibrated as claimed. In the case of my Kawasaki, you could actually change out the resistor for the fuel light and get an accurate 1 gallon warning. I don't know if that would work on the Vics.

·
Registered
837 Posts
2011 Kingpin light comes on like clockwork at 147-149 miles on flat land. I'll stop at the next station. Tank will hold 3.7 gallons----ALMOST EVERY TIME. If I am doing city riding it is different, but 80% of the time for the 2000 miles I have owned it it is very dependable.thumb up

·
Registered
418 Posts
I went for a push it ride one day just to see, I put almost 60 miles in after the light stayed on and it took just about 5 gal. So I figure with my XCT I'm good for longer then I can sit before I need to stop and fuel. My back, knee and hip are not what they used to be and I need a quick stretch every hour or so. Every other stretch I put fuel in and will never have a worry, if I'm BFE or on a "get lost" ride I fuel at every stretch just in case. Most of the time I ride with friends who have smaller tanks and they need fuel before I do so it is a mute point, other then I wish I could see the remaining miles count after the light comes on.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have a 2010 XC, 5.8 gal tank. Depending on how full I had filled it up I can go 170 to 200 miles. As for your question, when does the light come on, At 1/8 of a tank, and if I fill up right away it takes 4 gallons. Drops real fast to emty, then takes 4.7 to 5 gallons.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I did not say After, I said I can go 150 miles before I stop. POP needs to be put to sleep.:crzy:
:confused: The title of this thread is "Gas Light". All the post here (up to yours) are about how far you can go once the light comes on... in response to the original posters inquiry.

POPs is a very funny member and I'd miss his humor so I vote that we grant him amnesty and forego any such drastic actions. You on the other hand...

However, since you took this to a "total milage" thing I will post that I don't even BOTHER filling up until I get to 200 miles and nobody on here should stress in ANY way waiting until 200 miles to fill up. These are 5.8 gallon tanks and these bikes get around 45MPG on average so that means that we should ALL be getting OVER 200 miles before the light even came on IF the manual was right. However, as this thread points out the manual is NOT ANYWHERE NEAR correct so that is why some are seeing a low fuel light as low as 120 miles in some extreme cases. The point is that even if you were only getting 38 miles to a gallon, you STILL would not have a thing to worry about riding 200 miles with a 5.8 gallon tank, right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts