Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought but I'm trying to find out if I can do something to help my fuel economy. My 2012 CCT is getting about 33mpg, to my mind a bit on the low side. I expected somewhere closer to 40mpg. My normal commute is 35 miles one way with 2/3 of it at 75-80 mph on a turnpike. I've read that the CCTs take a big dive above 75, is that common? While it's not imperative for the mileage to be higher, I don't want my HD buddies to out do me on trips. Thanks all.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just a thought but I'm trying to find out if I can do something to help my fuel economy. My 2012 CCT is getting about 33mpg, to my mind a bit on the low side. I expected somewhere closer to 40mpg. My normal commute is 35 miles one way with 2/3 of it at 75-80 mph on a turnpike. I've read that the CCTs take a big dive above 75, is that common? While it's not imperative for the mileage to be higher, I don't want my HD buddies to out do me on trips. Thanks all.
I dunno about the CCT, but my stock HighBall gets roughly the same mileage as your bike. My commute is just under 30 miles (29.7) one way
no interstate, all back roads, state highway, and a couple of small towns (speed limit 35 mph). I would think that the mileage should be closer to 40-45 MPG, both new bikes I have purchased before this one were over the 40ish mark.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'm retired, so I don't commute anywhere (hey, it's good to be old, in some respects). On my '12 XCT, I get around 40 - 42 in most of my backroad day trips, as well as most of my superslab days visiting far-flung relatives. On the backroads, I ride pretty spirited, but we're typically talking 55mph limits, so I don't cruise much above 65, and then there are towns with 30 or 40 limits thrown in. On the superslab, I'm typically doing a real (i.e., GPS, not speedometer, which is a little bit high) 71 or 72. I have nothing against going over 100, for instance; it's just that I do that sort of riding in pretty short bursts.

You have to keep in mind that wind resistance increases with the square of the speed. That is, if you're going 70mph and you increase to 77, you just jumped 10 percent in speed, but the wind resistance -- and hence the power to overcome it -- went up a bunch more than that. So, yep, you're going to pay for those fast freeway droning miles.

A couple of questions. You have any engine or exhaust mods? And do you get time to do any full-tank backroad weekend jaunts, so you can check your mileage at slower speeds?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

The bike has almost 18k miles on it. As for modifications, I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure. I just bought the bike used and I didn't think to inquire about any modifications. There are several upgrades and I wouldn't be surprised to find stage 1s but I'm not sure how to identify whether or not they are indeed upgrades or not. The current exhausts have adjustable clamps holding them which I don't believe are stock so I'm leaning toward upgrades. Hope that's helpful.

·
13,002 Posts
On my stock vision if I keep it below 65mph I get 44 mpg. If I go over 70mph I drop down to 40mpg. Running at 80 mph I get 38mpg.
When you check you mileage don't go by what the bike says. Get out your phone and do it the old fashion way gallons into miles.

Do Lloydz timing wheel you love it and its something you can do your self

http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000125

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Mine gets much better milage when I use the built in MPG readout than when I do the math. Gas prices are high is money is short, so I'll stick with readout. I can't afford the lower MPG.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well my 2012 CCT has almost 34K on her now and I have gotten as little as 22MPG out west in heavy wind and over 50MPG tooling around the back roads.

But interstate riding like you say at 75mph is about 35 to 38. Drop to 65 and I'll get mid 40's.

The right hand has a lot to do with it too. Keep the rpms down and its gets good mileage. Seems over 2500 rpms is where it starts to drop fast.

Have you checked your spark plugs? They gapped right? You were due for plugs at 15K according to the manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll be pulling the plugs this weekend when I check on the air filter and install the new lights. I've just purchased the PIAA 15211 H11 Style Xtreme White bulbs. I like the high beam on the CCT but the low leaves a lot to be desired so I'm giving these a try and see if they help. As for the plugs, the dealership I purchased the bike from said they performed a complete service on the bike when they took it in (do I have faith that happened? Not a lot) but I need to check on things.

Johnny, I've not done a lot of reading on the Lloydz timing wheels (I will do some research though), what kind of benefit could I expect from including these in my upgrades?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
my advice is get a timing wheel and lloydz filter, at 65-70 i get between 45-47 above 70 and yes it starts to drop, i would be the harley guys do also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,002 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Last weekend I went on a poker run type event with a few HD friends. We rode 60 miles to get to the start (Kingman, AZ) and didn't know where the first stop was going to be so they decided to fuel up. I on the other hand looked at the fuel gauge and decided that I was probably okay. When one of the guys asked me what was gonna happen if we headed towards Flagstaff I told him that I'd probably fuel there (another 150 miles). "Well what happens if we wind up in New Mexico?" My response was that I might stop for fuel in Winslow.:cool:

By the time we got back to base in Lake Havasu City I had just over 180 miles showing on the trip meter and the fuel gauge wasn't even close to hitting the red. Although the fuel gauge and the range computer are pretty goofy most of the time, if you're riding steady I've found that these things have got some pretty long legs.cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
13,002 Posts
Slyerone

Are you going by what the bike say for mileage or by doing math on your phone?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never accept the "electronic" lie display on any vehicle. I've done the calculation based on actual use. My display has said I'm getting 38 on the last tank and at times been above 40.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mine gets much better milage when I use the built in MPG readout than when I do the math. Gas prices are high is money is short, so I'll stick with readout. I can't afford the lower MPG.
:ltr::ltr::ltr: depot , stop ! :ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im getting a steady 43 to 45 mpg.....mixed riding. I go about 220 miles to empty.

This is a 13 XC cammed, fuel controller, LLoydz intake, timing wheel at about 110hp.

Stock it got about 40 to 44.....so not a huge difference.

I do quite a bit of interstate riding at 80 as well.

Id say consider the wind when your checking mileage.....its the biggest hit when Im keeping track of fuel.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I never accept the "electronic" lie display on any vehicle. I've done the calculation based on actual use. My display has said I'm getting 38 on the last tank and at times been above 40.
Couple of things you can do to help with Fuel mileage:
1) Slow down, 80+ you are pushing a bunch of air lotz of drag and it take power to overcome that drag. Power = fuel burnt= poor mileage.
2) look at some modifications:
- Cams yep they take a bit of a bite out of your fun budget but after the install you will wonder what happened to that old slow bike.
- Timeing wheel big help at lower RPM, coupl ethis to a power commander and your off.
- Pipes stocker are designed for the EPA, many different kind of mods out there and some real good pipes too. Ness Honkers, D&D Wrapped, glass Pack mods, Witch Doctor Pipes...
-Dyno Tune the bike, yes it is worth the money spent no you will not have any issues going in the mountains.
3) Calcualting fuel mileage, it is damn hard to fill the XCT to the same level each time, I am getting between 170-210 miles out of a full tank I have found that 2300 rpm is a sweetspot for my setup 2500 is ok and after that the fun monster come out and fuel mileage goes up in smoke.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Im getting a steady 43 to 45 mpg.....mixed riding. I go about 220 miles to empty.

This is a 13 XC cammed, fuel controller, LLoydz intake, timing wheel at about 110hp.

Stock it got about 40 to 44.....so not a huge difference.

this is good to know with a cammed motor!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 38 Posts