Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. After installing all of my updated from the past few weeks I went and tried to start up my bike. After realizing that I had the spark plug wires backwards (Insert comment here) the bike fired up. I realized that I had gas dripping down my exhaust so I shut the bike off.

Every time a primed the fuel pump about 10 seconds later gas would start running down the front exhaust. It doesn't look like its coming from where the exhaust enter the motor. The gasket halfway down from the tip seems to be where the leak is coming from.

It also is important to mention that I am 95% sure that I flooded the motor trying to get it to start when I had the spark plugs backwards.

Any ideas? I have no clue how this is possible.

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
I never disconnected it from the tank. I only disconnected the connector under the right cheese wedge.
But did you break the nipple while moving the tank?

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
I just went out and checked. Nipple is still in perfect working order.
Try to dry it out, and maybe put paper towels around, and give it another squirt. See if you can find where it's coming from.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try to dry it out, and maybe put paper towels around, and give it another squirt. See if you can find where it's coming from.
I have it narrowed down to either where the exhaust goes into the motor or were the top and bottom section of the motor meet together. looks like there is a gasket. (The whole area is wet around the gasket)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
HZ , make sure where the hose connects to the fuel rail it is properly snapped in , maybe even disconnect it and plug it back in , you should hear a pronounced "CLICK" when it snaps back in ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have it narrowed down to either where the exhaust goes into the motor or were the top and bottom section of the motor meet together. looks like there is a gasket. (The whole area is wet around the gasket)
It cant be coming out of the exhaust at the motor , you would have a massive exhaust leak , and some serious internal engine malfunctions .... Re- check hose connection .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Pull your plugs , crank engine over and watch to see if fuel is blowing out of spark plug holes , watch your eyes .... Check oil and smell dipstick , does it smell like gas ? Is any fuel blowing out at the rear of the exhaust ? Sorry for all the questions , just trying to help .

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pull your plugs , crank engine over and watch to see if fuel is blowing out of spark plug holes , watch your eyes .... Check oil and smell dipstick , does it smell like gas ? Is any fuel blowing out at the rear of the exhaust ? Sorry for all the questions , just trying to help .
I checked the dipstick and I don't smell gas in the oil. A tiny bit a fuel came out of the exhaust when it first fired up. assumed it was because the pcv and autotune haven't had a chance to work their magic. Does it have anything to do with flooding the motor from priming the fuel pump too much?

I will check the spark plug holes tomorrow when I get the battery back in it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Does it have anything to do with flooding the motor from priming the fuel pump too much?

I will check the spark plug holes tomorrow when I get the battery back in it.
It certainly could .... Could be flooded right out , especially if its coming out the back of the exhaust . You might want to have a fresh set of plugs handy ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You might want to pull those 02 sensors out too and see if they are wet , and let them air out over night , being doused in fuel cant be good for them ...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might want to pull those 02 sensors out too and see if they are wet , and let them air out over night , being doused in fuel cant be good for them ...
So I went out and checked for an exhaust leak with the soap and water trick and there is not a leak. There is a good amount of fuel coming out the back of the pipes. Could this all be because I don't have the pcv programmed with the right map? I havnt had the riding weather to get the autotune to do its job. I am going to let it dry out overnight. How long should I wait to let it dry out? Theres still snow on the ground so I have time. Ill get a new pair of plugs before the riding season begins. I am just so baffled to where it is coming from. Worried that it is something internal. Luckily I bought the extended warranty if its necessary to take it to the dealer which I am trying to avoid if possible.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
What PCV map are you using ? Auto tune will not change your map until you accept your trims .... Did you set your air fuel ratios in the auto tune software yet ?

·
13,177 Posts
what you see spraying out of exhaust is more then likely water.
Its cold out and your motor putting on heat makes water.
If it was gas it would evaporate fast water would bead up.
Priming pump will not flood motor. But if you twist the throttle a lot it will flood motor

Did you gas hose hooked up on the tank. If not don't start motor it could catch fire.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What PCV map are you using ? Auto tune will not change your map until you accept your trims .... Did you set your air fuel ratios in the auto tune software yet ?
It came preloaded with a map for an S&S intake and d&d pipes. I am going to hook it up to the laptop tomorrow.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Priming pump will not flood motor. But if you twist the throttle a lot it will flood motor

Did you gas hose hooked up on the tank. If not don't start motor it could catch fire.
The gas hose is hooked from the tank to the motor. No leaking between the two. The leaking comes from the motor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I did twist the throttle when I tried to get it to start.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts