Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago, I began noticing a strong smell of gasoline from my 2012 XCT. This began when the gas tank was pretty empty. I filled it and was able to put in 5.2 gallons. I then continued to notice the smell with the gas tank full. I have ridden about 40 miles this week (I know, not very much) and smell the gas every time I slow or stop. When going at a speed over about 30 mph, I smell nothing - probably because the odor is wafted away by the wind caused by the bike speed. However, when I slow for a tight corner or come to a stop sign or stop light, I smell the gas. Today, I got on the bike after being in the gym for 2 hrs. I picked the bike up off the side stand, turned the kill switch on which starts the fuel pump (keyless ignition is on the bike), and before pressing the start button, I smelled gas.

I have looked under the bike when I park it in the garage and there is absolutely no gas dripping from the bike. This would be noticeable since the garage floor is painted with paint that is NOT gas resistant. I have looked some at both sides of the bike in the engine, cheese wedge, and gas tank areas. I cannot see any leaks or drips.

Before I start looking deeper into the bike for a leak, does anyone have any recommendations for places to look that might be leaking enough to cause this gasoline odor? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
This used to be a common problem. I had it too. The issue is the vent and overfill tubes which run from the tank spout down under the left side of the riders seat. They can get squashed so then the vapor has nowhere to go but out the intake vent in the gas cap. Reroute your lines or make sure they didn't shift somehow so when you sit on the seat it pinches off the lines.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,673 Posts
This used to be a common problem. I had it too. The issue is the vent and overfill tubes which run from the tank spout down under the left side of the riders seat. They can get squashed so then the vapor has nowhere to go but out the intake vent in the gas cap. Reroute your lines or make sure they didn't shift somehow so when you sit on the seat it pinches off the lines.
The two hoses that come out of tank? I was wondering what those do. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I concur with @BBob on the vent tube. 2 lines go to a T then end in one line. I removed the junction and ran the lines straight.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the seat to inspect the two vent hoses. They were tightly in their rubber connectors and had no cracks or damage. I disconnected them and blew through both of them and air passed through them easily. I also blew through the connector openings and these also passed air without a problem. I removed the bottom tank bolts and raised the tank about 5 inches to look under it as this is where the odor was coming from.

I wiggled the quick connect onto the tank nipple and it came off the nipple. This was the problem. I don't know how it could do so but the quick connect was on the nipple loosely but enough for the fuel pump to still send adequate fuel to the injectors while still leaking enough to cause an odor. I removed the quick connect completely, inspected it and the nipple which all looked normal, and reconnected the quick connect. I felt a solid "click" and gave it a tug and it would not come off so it appears properly seated this time. On the other hand a month or more ago when I had the tank off to install a new clutch cable, I reconnected the quick connect and thought I had it right.

I took the bike out for a 1.5 hr ride up US276 to the BRP, west for about 20 miles, and then back home and there was no odor so the problem is fixed.... until and unless the quick connect comes loose again.

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I took off the seat to inspect the two vent hoses. They were tightly in their rubber connectors and had no cracks or damage. I disconnected them and blew through both of them and air passed through them easily. I also blew through the connector openings and these also passed air without a problem. I removed the bottom tank bolts and raised the tank about 5 inches to look under it as this is where the odor was coming from.

I wiggled the quick connect onto the tank nipple and it came off the nipple. This was the problem. I don't know how it could do so but the quick connect was on the nipple loosely but enough for the fuel pump to still send adequate fuel to the injectors while still leaking enough to cause an odor. I removed the quick connect completely, inspected it and the nipple which all looked normal, and reconnected the quick connect. I felt a solid "click" and gave it a tug and it would not come off so it appears properly seated this time. On the other hand a month or more ago when I had the tank off to install a new clutch cable, I reconnected the quick connect and thought I had it right.

I took the bike out for a 1.5 hr ride up US276 to the BRP, west for about 20 miles, and then back home and there was no odor so the problem is fixed.... until and unless the quick connect comes loose again.
Several years back, I changed my air filter and did not get the fuel line latched in good. I road for at least 100 miles when the fuel line blew off the tank nipple. I was on a high traffic highway miles from any town. Took off the seat, removed the tank bolts. A friend held the tank up and I clicked the fuel hose back in, checking it very well. Now when I remove the fuel tank I triple check the hose connection.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Glad you found that. Easy fix.

·
Premium Member
13,702 Posts
An even easier fix than the hoses getting squashed!

Clickity, click, click, click...

If I only had a dollar for everytime I thought I did it right only to find out I had to go back and check or redo it again I could build a second garage. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts