Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had the dreaded gas smell some XC/XR riders have. Kinda funny how it's only some and not all.

Anyway, after much trial and error in finding a fix, a Tech Guru at Ma Victory sent an email to my dealership saying it's a common problem and the fix is to separate the two vent lines where they come together under the seat and run them separately down to where the existing one ends.

The cause is the two lines coming together so close to the gas cap causes a positive pressure which force gas fumes out the vent hole in the gas cap.

So I separated them. Put a bolt in the T-fitting and added a length of hose and secured it with some zip ties.

Problem fixed. No more gas smell. Victory came through in the end.

Hope this post helps others who experience the same issue.

Edit: Using a 2"-3" length of hose in place of the T-fitting is better than using a bolt to block one part of the fitting off. Just thought of that.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Thanks, BBob. thumb up

I'm printing your post and taking it to my dealer here in CT so he is aware of the fix for other XC/XR riders. No dreaded gas smell on my XC yesterday but, it was the first day on my new XC. :)

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Well, scratch out my last reply. I caught a whiff of the gasoline at least twice on our latest ride today. Thanks to BBob I will have my service tech perform this fix when I take it in for the 500 mile service on Tuesday or Wednesday.

281 new miles on this Blue XC and it's all that I knew it was. I rode a demo XC in Aug. 2010 with the wife and we decided this was the right one for us. The weather so far this Memorial Day weekend is superb!

Remember the Fallen.

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I had the dreaded gas smell some XC/XR riders have. Kinda funny how it's only some and not all.

Anyway, after much trial and error in finding a fix, a Tech Guru at Ma Victory sent an email to my dealership saying it's a common problem and the fix is to separate the two vent lines where they come together under the seat and run them separately down to where the existing one ends.

The cause is the two lines coming together so close to the gas cap causes a positive pressure which force gas fumes out the vent hole in the gas cap.

So I separated them. Put a bolt in the T-fitting and added a length of hose and secured it with some zip ties.

Problem fixed. No more gas smell. Victory came through in the end.

Hope this post helps others who experience the same issue.
I just noticed the smell today.

What size hose is required?

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a good question. I just used some hose I had laying around since it was just going to handle fumes. If you take the left side cover off you will see the end of the vent line. You can take a measurement there because it's the same under the seat where the T-fitting is. Now that I think about it; a 2" inch length of the hose can be used in place of the T-fitting. I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Duh.

I routed the hose going down under the wiring harness in that area then over to the same place the existing line ended.

I'd like to see Victory do a recall on this with the correct hard vent lines and connectors at the T-fitting. Seems like a safety/fire/health hazard issue with the gas fumes and all.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that, when the job is completed, you simply end up with two independent tubes? I too have smelled gas fumes in my garage. If this is a serious safety problem, perhaps NHTSA should be informed.

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Am I correct in assuming that, when the job is completed, you simply end up with two independent tubes? I too have smelled gas fumes in my garage. If this is a serious safety problem, perhaps NHTSA should be informed.
Yep. Two hoses, lines, or tubes. However you would like to describe it.

Well, actually I do think it's a safety hazard, and emailed my dealership about it. I'm hoping he forwards it to Ma Vic but unless fires start happening or someone passes out from the fumes; I doubt anything will be done about it.

I'd be happy if Victory would just send out the repair kit which would include a hard line like the existing one to run parallel and two pieces of hose to connect them. Just send it to everyone who has bought an XC or XR. If someone is uncomfortable installing it themselves they can always take it to the dealer or anyone who can take two bolts off for the seat.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I have a contact at the Vic factory that I informed about this issue. He requested a link to this thread and said he would pass the info on to the engineers. Hopefully, we will get the results we desire.

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great RICZ! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I think I'm noticing it more than others because I live in one of the hottest places in the nation. We've been up around 100 quite a few times this Spring.

As the tank and gasoline heats up the gas expands and starts pushing fumes out. With the t-fittings causing a bit of back pressure or positive pressure on the vent lines it pushes just a little of the fumes out the vent in the gas cap. Most of the fumes, I'm sure, go out the vent line as designed.

I'm not an engineer nor do I play one on TV but I can still see how this could happen.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
That's great RICZ! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I think I'm noticing it more than others because I live in one of the hottest places in the nation. We've been up around 100 quite a few times this Spring.
For the first time in over nine months we are finally getting a spate (3 days) of temps over 70. We have had nothing but rain and cold until today, but come Monday, we're going back to 60s and rain. I'm going out for a Victory ride today.thumb up

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
RICZ, thanks for passing the issue along. thumb up

I just had my 500 mile service performed this morning and I passed along the gasoline smell issue to my dealer. He sent an email to Victory and to his regional rep as well. He said I'm the first XC owner that's brought this issue to him and he asked me if I didn't mind waiting until he has a reply from Victory on this issue.

I'll let everyone know as soon as I know. cheers

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For the first time in over nine months we are finally getting a spate (3 days) of temps over 70. We have had nothing but rain and cold until today, but come Monday, we're going back to 60s and rain. I'm going out for a Victory ride today.thumb up
It takes a special kind of person to be a webfoot. thumb up

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
It takes a special kind of person to be a webfoot. thumb up
Yep, got webs between my toes and moss on my back. My Vic dealer also sells personal watercraft...sales must be good. They also carry ATVs, the Canam Spyder, snowmobiles and Segways. I'd say they have the bases covered.thumb up

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the gas smell on my XC. Thanks for the info on the fix. The funny thing about my gas smell is after I pull into the garage and open my left saddle bag, it seems the smell is pretty strong from the inside of the bag... I know, sounds crazy but true. Anyone else notice this??

·
Premium Member
13,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Shuffles; that would be because the vent line ends right behind the left saddlebag. It shouldn't be getting into the bag though. Do you think it is? The seal around the top of the bag should prevent it unless you have the soft bags. It might happen with them somehow.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have the gas smell on my XC. Thanks for the info on the fix. The funny thing about my gas smell is after I pull into the garage and open my left saddle bag, it seems the smell is pretty strong from the inside of the bag... I know, sounds crazy but true. Anyone else notice this??
Most likely not normal - I don't smell any gas when I open either saddle bag. You should look into it further and see how the gas gets to the saddle bag.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My bags are the hard ones. I have never had any water get into them when I have washed it, everything is dry, so that means the seal should be working. Rainy season has not yet started here in Fl, so I will give another check with the water hose.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
My theory on the left bag smelling like gas:

Alright, I was able to smell it too, today, after I got home from a ride. It smelled when I opened the left saddle bag too! But I do have a pretty good theory on it. When I opened the saddle bag, I got closer to see what I was grabbing, so my nose got closer to the open saddle bag. You would think you're smelling the inside of the bag, but instead you're smelling the gasoline vapor which is being propelled upwards by the hot exhaust. The rear fender and left saddle bag act as a chimney for the gasoline vent. The time when you look into your left saddlebag is the time when your nose is closest to the vent opening, and when the exhaust is hot, is when the gas vapor is being pushed upwards. Try riding it and sniffing that area without opening the saddlebag and most likely you'll smell it just as strong as when you do open it.

...that would be because the vent line ends right behind the left saddlebag...
That's correct, and here's a picture to prove BBob's point.
VENT.jpg

1 - 20 of 64 Posts