Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding in 100 degree heat put the JP in the garage and came out later to a strong gas smell. 2nd time it has happened. Any thoughts why?

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
After riding in 100 degree heat put the JP in the garage and came out later to a strong gas smell. 2nd time it has happened. Any thoughts why?
What's the fuel level in the tank?

There is a vent line from the tank, and the hotter it gets, the more gas vapor will leave through it to compensate for gas expansion. It's normal, unless you're sreing gasoline drops on the garage floor.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No gas dripping. About 3/4 tank full. Thanks I feel better

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I get that often at 1/2 to 3/4 tank coming home in the afternoon if I put the bike right into the garage with temps upper 80s and higher.

I assumed it was the heat from the engine causing the fuel to warm a bit more and venting. Much more noticiable if I left the bike in the sun for a few hours and the fuel in the tank is hot already. I have a small shop fan that I leave on to help cool the bike if I am closing the garage door quickly now. It seems to have helped.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
It was in the 90s here the last couple weeks and i could smell some also on my vegas, just from the gas tank venting, like said, I leave my garage door open for a little bit also.

·
13,247 Posts
When it gets hot out gas will expand. There for you will get gas out of the over flow tube or you'll wind up with the vapors. Were talking for the most part 90's plus. If its 80 out side it could be 90 in the garage. Put a thermometer in the garage there cheap.
When it gets hot out do not fill tank all the way.
They always say to fill up in the morning cause thats when you get more gas for your money it hasn't expanded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts