Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wondered if anyone else gets this. I hear a low frequency whistle, I guess you would call it. It seems to be coming from my gas cap. It's not real loud, but sitting in my garage sometimes I will hear it. It sounds like a slow build up of pressure is being released.

Anyone else get this, something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not service tech but I believe it's just the tank releasing pressure. On my busa I'd hear that noise when riding the bike was resting after a hard run. It was the tank whirring as the vapors and fumes came out of the overflow port. I'd hear it sometimes when I went to open the cap. The sun would heat up the tank and the excess vapor would whistle out. As it cooled it would make a vacuum like sound as it equalized.

Check the seal on your cap for dirt or grime maybe that mould be it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
As your gas heats up, just like everything else, it expands and builds pressure. I'm not sure if the Kingpin is the same but the Cross bikes have vent hoses that go below the seat to in front of the left side of the rear wheel. Your gas cap also has a vent as well. For the Cross bikes two vents come out of the tank and join under the seat in a "T" and a single vent line then a singe line goes down to just in front of the rear wheel. This setup tends to get a vacuum lock so the gas cap does all the venting. For a Cross bike we end up smelling gas. The fix is to remove the T and run two lines all the way.

I haven't heard of a similar problem with the Kingpin but if you do have separate vent lines under the seat they may be pinched or blocked causing the cap to do all the venting.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For the Cross bikes two vents come out of the tank and join under the seat in a "T" and a single vent line then a singe line goes down to just in front of the rear wheel. This setup tends to get a vacuum lock so the gas cap does all the venting. For a Cross bike we end up smelling gas. The fix is to remove the T and run two lines all the way.
Well Goatlocker, you just gave me my honeydo list for this Sunday morning. I did not like that gas smell the first ten or fifteen miles after fillup and I betcha this little Hint from Heloise is going to fix that.

Thanks.

·
13,026 Posts
when you here the noise open gas cap. Noise goes away check your cap for vent hole you might have to peel gasket back to see vent hole make sure cap is sealing on gasket

·
13,026 Posts
like I said if there is a hole in gas cap make sure its not blocked

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just to follow up the Vent was clogged, when I took off my tank to clean the throttle body I found it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts