Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all, been a while since I posted on this forum.

We did a trip from Alberta to BC back in July. I noticed on the way home from that trip that there was something happening to the power of my bike while on the highway going at speed. It would almost be like my rear wheel was spinning out when I gunned the throttle in 6th gear.

Forgot all about this until a couple days ago. I was back on the highway, in 6th gear and I gunned it, felt the same slippage again but I noticed that the gear indication on the tach was displaying 5th. When I stopped gunning it, the indication went back to 6th. Gunned it again, watched the display switch to 5th, released throttle, display read 6th again.

Did this a few times. Hit an off-ramp and downshifted. Tried the same throttle use as before but experienced no problems between 5th/4th and 4th/3rd. Only seems to be a problem while in 6th gear and heavy throttle.

Not a big deal, just wondering if anyone is having a similar experience.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
+Check your clutch cable adjustment. It might be too tight. There should be some slack to the cable and an easy way to determine that is wiggle the exposed cable down at pivot. This needs to be checked frequently.
+If you are member of the "I don't want to hurt my engine by going over 3,000 RPMs Club," that will overwork a clutch. You should not go into 6th gear until you are doing over 70 MPH, or 113 KPH. Endeavor to keep revs at or above 3,000 RPM.
+ Make certain that the oil you are using is rated JASO-MA or MA2. That means it's intended for wet clutch engines.
+ The reason your gear indicator went bonkers is that it gets its info from a bike speed sensor and an engine speed sensor. So when the clutch is slipping, it thinks you dropped down a gear. It's just doing the job it was designed to do.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
If you don't adjust it quickly you will be replacing it very soon. Almost momentarily.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Do you have a Eazy Clutch installed on your clutch arm OP ?

Like everyone mentioned check your freeplay ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
103 Posts
He never stated how fast he was going. I agree RICZ, he should not be in 6th unless he is at least 70 or above. I never get mine into 6th unless im doing 75-80. When I first got the bike I had the same experience with what I thought was a slipping clutch. It was in 6th doing 65 with a strong headwind. The bike likes to be in the higher revs.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Funny thing--if I'm traveling under 75 in 5th gear, she gets better fuel mileage. Prolly less strain on the engine, ya think?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Regarding the speed at which I was going when this was happening, it was about 120kph. Divided highway speeds.

The clutch cable, too tight? That's odd. One would think it would become too loose as time went on. I'll check it out tho.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the same problem once and found that the nylon nut holding the clutch lever in its housing had tightened itself up somehow. I loosened it off and all was good. Just something to check.

·
Registered
302 Posts
To the OP... did you go to the last RevUp Rally at Revelstoke in July? I had planned to go with a few Red Deer buddies, but it was either that...or visit my parents who I hadn't seen for 4 years in Sask. Didn't have the time to do both.

·
Registered
780 Posts
@half_crazy showed me that the adjustment specs in the book are NOT appropriate- at least- they are not appropriate if you have some go fast goodies installed.

I was having the same symptoms: A periodic slip in high gear. This on a relatively NEW clutch- i.e. installed 2017 riding season. Like RICZ said- your clutch is too tight.

Wise man Larry say: "**** that book. I can't read." Warm up first. When at speed- Pull in the clutch a little bit. If your clutch is disengaging with very little pull- it's too tight.
I popped my side cover off- and Larry pulled his glasses down a little bit and scared the adjustment turnbuckle a turn or so. Clutch pull strong now.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
@half_crazy showed me that the adjustment specs in the book are NOT appropriate- at least- they are not appropriate if you have some go fast goodies installed.

I was having the same symptoms: A periodic slip in high gear. This on a relatively NEW clutch- i.e. installed 2017 riding season. Like RICZ said- your clutch is too tight.

Wise man Larry say: "**** that book. I can't read." Warm up first. When at speed- Pull in the clutch a little bit. If your clutch is disengaging with very little pull- it's too tight.
I popped my side cover off- and Larry pulled his glasses down a little bit and scared the adjustment turnbuckle a turn or so. Clutch pull strong now.
LOL... Actually, I used a Crescent Hammer and a 13mm wrench.

It's almost impossible to static adjust a Victory clutch and get it right.

Yeah, higher gear and some throttle... put a load on it... give the lever a slow tug. It needs to move a bit before the revs come up (disengaging). If as soon as you touch it the revs go up, "I found the problem!".

How ya doin'? Ready for the hurricane that's rollin' in?

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Funny thing--if I'm traveling under 75 in 5th gear, she gets better fuel mileage. Prolly less strain on the engine, ya think?
Ya know, everyone is in a big hurry to get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible... If I'm rolling at 60-65 in 5th it will get way better fuel mileage than it will if I shift 6th. Moral of the story? When you think you need to shift up, don't, leave the shifter alone. There's no law that says you must be in the highest gear possible. Let it spin some, it won't hurt it.

·
Registered
780 Posts
How ya doin'? Ready for the hurricane that's rollin' in?

I've decided to forgo grab-assin' with Florence & fly to the Texas hill country for the remainder of the week so I can flirt with the 3 Twisted Sisters instead.

(actually set this up weeks ago)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts