Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a gear indicator to their Hammer? I'm curious if there are any that are good and how they connect.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
I got a green OD light when I fitted a tach. Apart from that its a matter of counting if I wanna know what gear I'm in.
I ride more by feel than instruments anyway.
At times after a good hard run up a freeway ramp to merge ahead of traffic I might find myself in 6th with the OD light lit. These things got plenty grunt to pull just about any gear anywhere if need be.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Gear indicators are available on AliExpress or Amazon etc, the simplest ones have a magnet that "sees" the shifter position and go's to a LCD gear indicator

If your bike does not have it, then you do not need it ... It just makes riding your bike mor FUN right ?? I only look at the thing at trafic lights or when I'm cruising along and have time to actually look at it, going through the gears, no need to look as traffic is much more important .

Completely agree with MbX, having a neutral light is cool to have, the rest is feeling ....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I agree on the comments about riding by feel, and really don't care what gear I'm in as I ride. I primarily want to know when I'm downshifting and am in 2nd gear. I find it much easier on my bike to shift into neutral from 2nd that from 1st, so it annoys me to go to 1st, then to 2nd, then to neutral. It's not a particularly big deal, I was just curious if anyone had tried one.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Thanks guys. I agree on the comments about riding by feel, and really don't care what gear I'm in as I ride. I primarily want to know when I'm downshifting and am in 2nd gear. I find it much easier on my bike to shift into neutral from 2nd that from 1st, so it annoys me to go to 1st, then to 2nd, then to neutral. It's not a particularly big deal, I was just curious if anyone had tried one.
Vic has this feature: never miss your neutral again ....

But i think that is from first gear only (i think)

Must try your way from 2 straight to neutral ..... Not sure if that is easier though ?

Ride safe and put some miles on her hey ???

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have one, but only because i changed out my whole cluster:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ragtopdodge,
Do all of the features work on the Hammer?

·
Registered
459 Posts
ragtopdodge,
Do all of the features work on the Hammer?
Yup. i like having a gear indicator. Plus for a motorcycle, I think a digital readout is better as you get instant readout of your measurements (like speed).

Plus having a multi-function odometer is nice for oil changes (Trip B) as well as for gas (Trip A).

I love it! Cleans up the front end too. Kind of $$$, but worth it IMHO.

Next oil change, I'll put in a diff sender so I can get real oil pressure. Maybe one of these days, figure out how to put a Harley sending unit in the tank somehow so I can get real fuel level.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of fuel and oil readings do you get now? It's not priced that high when you consider the features. Just a gear indicator is $250, and then you have an ugly indicator mounted on the bars. I'm an analog guy, but it would be nice to have all of those readings, plus a damn clock!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Right now, Fuel and OIL is an idiot light. But when I change my sender, I should get actual PSI readings.

As aforementioned, I would need to fab up some kind of sender for the FUEL to actually read FUEL level. Don't know if anyone ever done that.

Yes, the clock is nice too, but you have to press a button to get it (if you're in a diff mode), hence I just got the handlebar clock and temp gauge on my bars. See above picture w/the white faces.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was it difficult to wire in?

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
One of my winter projects is installing a Healtech gear indicator. I've lived with this bike almost 6 year without one, but there have been many times I wished I had it. Such as when downshifting from 3rd to second in the twisties, only to discover I was already in 2nd. Things got exciting when I let the clutch out in 1st.
The Healtech is over $100 and I found one on Banggood.com for only $2.69 with free shipping yet. I don't know if I can trust it (like Hillary) and with the Healtech, I get great tech support and all the connections are in the headlight nacelle.
Here's the link to the Banggood one...http://www.banggood.com/Red-LED-Universal-Digital-6-Gears-Indicator-Motorcycle-Display-Shift-Lever-Sensor-p-982242.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Based on the BangGood reviews I read, it's a scam site.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Based on the BangGood reviews I read, it's a scam site.
I have ordered many items from them with no problems. I hope you don't believe all the reviews you read.

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
Yup. i like having a gear indicator. Plus for a motorcycle, I think a digital readout is better as you get instant readout of your measurements (like speed).

Plus having a multi-function odometer is nice for oil changes (Trip B) as well as for gas (Trip A).

I love it! Cleans up the front end too. Kind of $$$, but worth it IMHO.

Next oil change, I'll put in a diff sender so I can get real oil pressure. Maybe one of these days, figure out how to put a Harley sending unit in the tank somehow so I can get real fuel level.
So the Harley fuel gauge is accurate is it?...it'd have to be the first accurate fuel gauge ever fitted to a production machine, bike or car.
For a clock on my Vegas Ive stuck a $9.99 analog watch over my idiot lights so the hi-beam is mostly obscured as its distracting when on, also fitted a lower candlepower bulb to it to lessen it more.
Oil changes as well as everything else I log in a small book.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't put too much credence in reviews, but when there are dozens and dozens of reviews stating that people placed an order and never received the merchandise and can't get a response from support, it does raise a red flag.

Thanks for letting me know that you've had good experiences with them, though!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts