Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice 6th gear having a bit of noise compared to the others? Like a groan or a low-pitch whine like gear noise. Not very loud but noticeable.

It's shifting ok and acting normal I've just noticed this as I've been running a windshield and can hear the bike more so thought I'd ask.

Thought maybe because 6th is an overdrive. I dunno.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I'm guessing it's belt noise due to the teeth. It's traveling quite fast compared to the lower gears.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Anyone notice 6th gear having a bit of noise compared to the others? Like a groan or a low-pitch whine like gear noise. Not very loud but noticeable.

It's shifting ok and acting normal I've just noticed this as I've been running a windshield and can hear the bike more so thought I'd ask.

Thought maybe because 6th is an overdrive. I dunno.

Yup, I can always tell when I'm in 6th gear. Sounds totally different than all the others.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's definitely the tranny and not the belt. You can hear it if going 60 in 5th or 6th at same belt speed.

Due to being an overdrive maybe?

·
Registered
608 Posts
It's definitely the tranny and not the belt. You can hear it if going 60 in 5th or 6th at same belt speed.

Due to being an overdrive maybe?

Yes I hear it to. But 3rd is louder and 4th now sounds like a rock crusher. 5th is very quiet.

It seems the tranny is getting very noisy as the miles climb. I always change my oil well before the recommended interval.

I am at 35,000 km now and I can't see this tranny going the distance unless it just keeps getting louder.

I am getting very concerned how fast it seems to be wearing out....

What milage you guys at?

I was just going to post a thread on this and see if any of the high milage guys are getting tranny noise...

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Almost 9,000 miles and quiet as can be on a 2012 model except for a squekey belt.
Last year I was at wits end with my squeaky belt so over the winter I reversed it.... Yes put it on backwards.
This year no squeak .....

I have run the belt to tight then to loose. Ran it to the inside then the outside of the pulley...... No squeak ....

Some on here say the belt will break but I couldn't take any more squeak...

As far as tranny noise.... Roll into it in 4th and tell me if you hear metallic gear sounds.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you can hear it in 5th & 6th at the same speed, it seems to rule out the tranny and point to the belt? Am I missing something? I hear the noise on my bike too. I am quite sure it is the belt. I'm pretty sure I can fix it with a louder exhaust....:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think it's normal as mine does it too. Now that I have a windshield all gears are noisy except 5th gear. I learned not to use 6th if rpms are under 2400. Mine has 650 miles on ie and the gear noise did not change after the 500 mile service but the engine now has a cold start noise like a piston knock.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nope, don't hear any difference in 6th than any other gear but my RPW slash pipes wouldn't let me hear the end of the world or a nuclear blast if it came from the car behind me. Seriously though, I perceive no difference other than it seems to be even smoother and always the right gear for the highway.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, don't hear any difference in 6th than any other gear but my RPW slash pipes wouldn't let me hear the end of the world or a nuclear blast if it came from the car behind me. Seriously though, I perceive no difference other than it seems to be even smoother and always the right gear for the highway.
Yep.. The slashness / RPW Slash pipes I had on the previous High-Ball made me notice nothing but pure V-twin goodness. cheers

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
If you can hear it in 5th & 6th at the same speed, it seems to rule out the tranny and point to the belt? Am I missing something? I hear the noise on my bike too. I am quite sure it is the belt. I'm pretty sure I can fix it with a louder exhaust....:D
Aloud exhaust will fix anything!
Freedom Performance Slash's through a tunnel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHs0Cb0_WMY
that was 4th gear

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I must concur with both of you gentlemen .... The Slash pipes are music to my ears ! :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Since this one is 5 speed, I'm sure I'll be looking for a 6th as I've done with last 4 bikes I've owned once I get this one. I also will not be surprised if I hear a sewing machine sound. Only sound I really care to hear is the wind rushing past my head.

You know I used to feel the same way. Why have a loud obnoxious bike? My last two bikes have been a BMW K bike and then an M 50 Suzuki and both were quiet and peaceful though there was at the right RPM a bit of a rumble from the M50. Well I wanted a Vic Hammer and this one had RPW slash. Well let me tell you the first time the seller started it, I had a large involuntary smile that probably came to me from my having been 11 years old with a banana seated high rise bar Schwinn Stingray that I would put card in the spokes just to hear the rumble. Well now I have completely reverted back 49 years to my 11 year old self and as another poster stated, it is music to my ears and puts a smile on my face. Perhaps it is more of a statement of my immaturity than the value of a loud bike, but I will tell you that about a week ago all it took was a blip to dissuade a deer from crossing the road in front of me so perhaps if I could mount any argument for having them other than the emotional pleasure they give me, it would have to be that I get noticed as opposed to being an invisible object that somehow our bikes seem to not only deer but worse human drivers.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Perhaps it is more of a statement of my immaturity than the value of a loud bike
Ha! I'm right there with you. I'm about to turn 56. My office has a window facing the interstate and I can tell the difference between a HD and rocket. When I hear that sound, I have to look.

I have a friend with an old goldwing and he hates loud pipes. Do they save lives? He says no! I can't prove it but I know when to crack the throttle and wake up idiots.

You make me want a hammer... thumb up

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Confirmed from a few folks it has to do with how 6th and 4th are configured as opposed to fifth which is a 1:1 simpler gear setup.. Just makes 6th a little louder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts