Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to pull my tank off today cause I thought I may have had some wiring issues. When I pulled the main fuel line off the tank I busted the nipple of and didn't notice right away when I seen that thought maybe I could thread some thing in somehow. Until I realized it would have 20-30 psi on it on a 210 degree engine if my fix was so inclined to have a leak the result might be a unpaid insurance claim. Long story short there is a fuel pump on the other side of that nipple which is 467.00 is all 1 piece do I say gentle gentle!

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Had to pull my tank off today cause I thought I may have had some wiring issues. When I pulled the main fuel line off the tank I busted the nipple of and didn't notice right away when I seen that thought maybe I could thread some thing in somehow. Until I realized it would have 20-30 psi on it on a 210 degree engine if my fix was so inclined to have a leak the result might be a unpaid insurance claim. Long story short there is a fuel pump on the other side of that nipple which is 467.00 is all 1 piece do I say gentle gentle!
There goes another nipple.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Tis why we remove the gas line from the injector end. Pinch the lime green tabs and pull off gas line from the injector. OUCH on that price!:eek:

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ugh man....I hate that for ya, at that price I hope it comes with some lube.....for you! Ouch!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So, this comes up every month or two. WTF Polaris? I mean. 2011 is now 2014, there appears to have been a revision (whether it was in response to failure rates or as simple as an extrusion upgrade who knows) but the complaints of three years ago continue so whatever the reason for the pump plumbing change, the effect of that change has not eliminated the broken nipple issue. Not to discount the need for care when taking the tank off and on but it is removable for maintenance and has to come off to service the air filter and access other components. Designing in the condition where an expensive and fragile fuel pump outlet is exposed during that maintenance regimen is an unnecessary engineering fail. Either unfragile it or move it or innie it or protect it or whatever.

There are some issues that you put up with because the reduction in repair rate doesn't justify the cost of retooling. There are others, and I think plastic injection molded parts are a prime example, that you assess the issue and work with your supplier to correct in succeeding model runs. If it is happening regularly to new models in 2011 then a reasonable conclusion is that as more of the units are bought and the models age requiring more maintenance then more cases will be reported.

I read through the link VJ posted. Lot's of commiserating, but the end result was you empty your wallet and wait for UPS.

What is the definition of nuts? Doing the same thing again expecting a different result. I have removed my tank a few times and will again and I'm here to tell you, if this fate visits Pop I am going to spend my money on a work around before I spend it on ending up right back where I started. Amazing to me that no one has posted a good shade tree solution. Fears about leaks are worth including in the equation but 51PSI liquid pressure is not a high bar to shoot for. If nothing else plastics are at least easy to work.

Victory tells you in the service manual to disconnect the fuel line at that nipple. WD cautions to take off the line at the injectors and leave it hooked up at the nipple to prevent breaking the nipple. (I bet he learned the hard way). I go with WD on this one.

I mean it's a hunk of plastic. Let those who defend the widespread use of polymers in automotive applications take note of this jewel in the crown of 21st century engineering.

·
Premium Member
8,972 Posts
One of the main reasons I went to Torque Tubes over the Ness filter, the ease of access for filter service.
Means with a bit of luck the next time my tank has to come off is for routine fuel filter change at 30,000 mile.
And after having had it off and on a few times already I'm now convinced to leave it connected at the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I've disconnected at the nipple several times. It's not bad once you get it down. That said, it is of poor design, as I'm always delighted when I don't break it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts