Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few half helmets, and a 3/4 with face shield for cold days. The half helmets I own were all cheap - around $30. One of them (an HJC) fits the greatest, looks okay, and as a drawback to me, it's black. Another one (an Outlaw) is chromed, which is my preferred finish for a helmet, but it doesn't fit as well - it's comfortable, but not as comfortable as the black one, and it also looks okay.

I am starting to think that maybe a German Style half helmet, chromed, might be a good fit, but since I'm so bad at chosing a helmet (given all the mediocre choices I've made so far helmet wise) I decided to ask for some advice.

- Do you guys think a German style half helmet would look good with the XR?

- Is there anything (good or bad) about the German style helmets I should know before I add yet another shell to my garage shelf?

Your input is, as always, highly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well, you asked.... ;)

All a half helmet is good for is keeping your hair in place. God forbid a cager takes you down. Full face is the only real protection for your head, and for the skin & bone on your face.

While I'm not a proponent of 3/4 helmets either, at least you get a lot more protection for your head and side of your face than with a crappy half helmet.

Look up some accident reports on the net and some pictures and you'll see I'm right. I hope you reconsider.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, half helmets provide more protection than just your hair. ;) However, obviously, the more helmet there is, the more of the head is covered.

Anyway, I have a german halfy I use normally when it's really warm out. Most people get a kick out it. Don't go putting a spike on it, though. Completely eliminates any safety. :) I picked mine up at Jafrum.com. One of the few DOT I've seen. Last I checked, they have many options, including a chrome one.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize half helmets offer the least protection and I appreciate showing concern over my safety. However, without being rude, I didn't ask about safety of half helmets. Full face will always offer more protection (a lot more) but by the same token, my cage offers the most protection. I'm not comparing halfs with others, but rather I am trying to figure out if I should add another half helmet to my collection or stick to the mediocre halfs I already own.

And no, I would not put a spike on it! :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sorry, just tryin to help based on your query of good and bad about them, I assumed you needed proper info.

I've learned to not try and talk to those disillusioned by old wives tales, and bad-boy biker tales of how safe half helmets are. Almost as silly as those who actually believe DOT ratings mean anything at all.

We all make personal choices, and many of those choices are cited in police reports and memorialized in eulogies. My choice is Snell rated or ECE, others choose to gamble. To each their own.

Best of luck finding what you want. Safety and all that aside, your choice of spending more than $30 now is a good one.

Check out helmetharbor.com kneedraggers.com revzilla.com for quality helmets, and video reviews of many of them... Halfies included.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How do they look? Is the mushrooming minimized? I like the concept of half helmets but most don't look that great IMO. I like the helmets on jafrum just trying to find a picture of it on someone.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have many friends that ride all kinds of cruisers and almost all of them wear half helmets, including the novelty german half ones and they look fine. In fact I have one of those too that I wear while I'm riding short distances.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, just tryin to help based on your query of good and bad about them, I assumed you needed proper info.

I've learned to not try and talk to those disillusioned by old wives tales, and bad-boy biker tales of how safe half helmets are. Almost as silly as those who actually believe DOT ratings mean anything at all.

We all make personal choices, and many of those choices are cited in police reports and memorialized in eulogies. My choice is Snell rated or ECE, others choose to gamble. To each their own.

Best of luck finding what you want. Safety and all that aside, your choice of spending more than $30 now is a good one.

Check out helmetharbor.com kneedraggers.com revzilla.com for quality helmets, and video reviews of many of them... Halfies included.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I am "disillusioned by old wives tales." :ltr: I did acknowledge that half helmets offer the least protection - I am by no means disputing that. My concern is if that look would match with what I'm riding.

How do they look? Is the mushrooming minimized? I like the concept of half helmets but most don't look that great IMO. I like the helmets on jafrum just trying to find a picture of it on someone.
They look something like this when worn:
german-style-dot-helmet-1.jpg german-style-dot-helmet.jpg

·
Registered
782 Posts
If you were riding a Ural or a true home garage built junkyard-parts Harley bobber... It would fit the look.

But you ride a very modern looking Crossroads, I don't see the fit.

I also would not want the stigma of the Nazis alive and well on my head. Some folks carry stereotypes wayyyy too far and might view that as offensive. 1%ers have worn these for decades, but most folks wouldn't be confronting them. Us normal looking, non-killer looking types however... might get some flak.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Any real helmet is gonna be on the large side. Novelty helmets are the only helmet that is slim, but then why bother.

BTW asking about how cool a helmet would look on a bike; is as bad as asking if this dress makes you ass look fat

·
Registered
782 Posts
Check out:

Nolan Outlaw
Bell Shorty
Scorpion EXO-100
and if you want the best quality, Shoei makes one in a half as well.

These will provide quality, comfort, and in some cases a nice flip down sun visor as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Crossroads,

Here is my two cents!!!

Half helmets make you look like a mushroom and german style is just a fashionable mushroom and jockey style just look gay all together... :crzy:

If you have a bigger nugget than most it makes it even worse :ltr:

If you got a small grape you can get away with more but they still look bad.

If you are looking at going with a open face take a real hard look at the reto style 70's helmets like the new bell custom 500. They cover your ears and make the ride alot nicer if you do not wear earplugs. That and due to the shape it honestly looks the best out of all the open face. I wore these for years and well WELL before the retro craze that has kicked them back off again.

I know wear a full face as does the wife. We had a friend that was cut off at a stop light and went over the handle bars.... you guessed it he went face first into the pavement. He lived but has very little of a lower jaw.

Not to get the boogy man stories out but he was a close buddy that has at least 25 years of riding under his belt and it happened to him. My wife and I went that day to get full face and have not looked back. Now that we have worn them for some time we love them. We use our bluetooth with them and we have a blast being able to talk and share the scenery with each other....

Thats my thoughts for what they are worth...but I think based of your needs and wants you really may want to check out the 3/4 helmets vs the shorties... just a thought.

BSD

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you were riding a Ural or a true home garage built junkyard-parts Harley bobber... It would fit the look.

But you ride a very modern looking Crossroads, I don't see the fit.

I also would not want the stigma of the Nazis alive and well on my head. Some folks carry stereotypes wayyyy too far and might view that as offensive. 1%ers have worn these for decades, but most folks wouldn't be confronting them. Us normal looking, non-killer looking types however... might get some flak.
Yeah, that might be a very good point. By no means do I want to support anything Nazi. Wasn't sure if people associate those helmets with the Nazis still, or if they were just named "german style" because there was no better name for them. ;-)

I guess I'll keep searching for a more comfortable and better looking half helmet.

Thats my thoughts for what they are worth...but I think based of your needs and wants you really may want to check out the 3/4 helmets vs the shorties... just a thought.
All good points, but I already own a Nolan 3/4 and it's very comfortable. But when it comes to grabbing a helmet to go riding, it's never my first choice (unless it's cold outside and I don't want to freeze my ears).

BTW asking about how cool a helmet would look on a bike; is as bad as asking if this dress makes you ass look fat
If I'm not cool for asking questions, then let me be a lame man. ;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah, that might be a very good point. By no means do I want to support anything Nazi. Wasn't sure if people associate those helmets with the Nazis still, or if they were just named "german style" because there was no better name for them. ;-)

I guess I'll keep searching for a more comfortable and better looking half helmet.
lol... CR my wife and are a jews and to be honest we have more issues with the swatiskas on 1% vest then the syle of helmet. It was a fact that the German helmet was a FAR better and safer design then the US Doughboy helmets of WWII!

That said, arrogants would be in your actions and speach not in what you wear or ride... The Nazi's drove VW too and we got enough all Americans driving them daily.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ya but how old is that Nolan 3/4???? These new ones fit way closer and lower on the head than ANY Nolan, that I promise.

Check them out... them with some shades and no will care if that "dress makes you look fat!" :ltr:

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
CrossRoads: Gonna wear the swastika arm band too? And put iron cross decals on your bike? I had too many relatives go up the chimneys of concentration camps to find anything cool about parading around in a Nazi helmet, or anything that represents those thugs and murderers.
Happy Passover, Bigseadaddy!

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya but how old is that Nolan 3/4???? These new ones fit way closer and lower on the head than ANY Nolan, that I promise.

Check them out... them with some shades and no will care if that "dress makes you look fat!" :ltr:
:ltr: I have a Nolan N42, so it's not the latest, but not the oldest. I like how my halfs fit in the saddlebags, so by the time I hit my office, nobody can tell I rode to work. And since the Nolans were so innovative with their latches, I don't even know if anybody makes a lock for those.

CrossRoads: Gonna wear the swastika arm band too? And put iron cross decals on your bike? I had to many relatives go up the chimenys of concentration camps to find anything cool about parading around in a Nazi helmet.
RICZ, you didn't read any of my posts in this thread. Shame on you! :) I hope you'll read this one: I don't wear any patches, insignias or stickers. I don't because I don't want to offend anybody, not because I don't have any preferences in life. I don't wear flames, skulls and bones neither - nothing against them, but I'm shooting for heaven, not hell. And I've said it in a previous post (you skipped over) I do not support anything Nazi. Wearing a german style helmet would not be in order to honor the Führer.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
:ltr: I have a Nolan N42, so it's not the latest, but not the oldest. I like how my halfs fit in the saddlebags, so by the time I hit my office, nobody can tell I rode to work. And since the Nolans were so innovative with their latches, I don't even know if anybody makes a lock for those.

RICZ, you didn't read any of my posts in this thread. Shame on you! :) I hope you'll read this one: I don't wear any patches, insignias or stickers. I don't because I don't want to offend anybody, not because I don't have any preferences in life. I don't wear flames, skulls and bones neither - nothing against them, but I'm shooting for heaven, not hell. And I've said it in a previous post (you skipped over) I do not support anything Nazi. Wearing a german style helmet would not be in order to honor the Führer.
I did read your post and you read mine. Obviously I'm very thin skinned where it comes to anything that is reminiscent of that horrible time. Don't get me started on the Japs who beheaded uncles of mine.

·
Registered
336 Posts
CR,

YOu got a point there!!!!! THat is the only thing that bothers my wife and I about fullface is that they do not fit in the bags!!!

A 3/4 would still not fit and you got a point! We go grocery shoping on the CR all the time and did it today.

IT is great people looking at my wife and I filling up a buggy about half full with helmets riding in the kiddy seat. We get asked all the time if we can get all that on a bike and I alway can!!!

Just roll up and tell the cashier no bags please and then my wife play a game of tetris in the parking lot. I can get three days for a family of six in those bags but not a full face!!! I need a trunk so I can fit those two helmets pluse another three days of food cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts