Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my highball delivered as it was from a different state in Australia (nsw to sa) i had to checked by our cops for roadworthyness etc so I can get sa plates....I thought no problem as it's a 14 highball off the shelf from the vic dealer in nsw....boy was I wrong.....

Was politely informed by the cop the bars on the bike don't meet Australian specifications and it's illegal to have bars higher then 380mm from the bottom of the seat...my bars are 510mm....so when explaining the bike is stock and this is how it is imported sold and marketed here in australia and world was then told victory are wrong and every highball in Australia should be recalled and fixed as it doesn't meet Australian standards....WTF. ..... (this is the quick short story as there was a lot more said between me and the cops) was also told as it was a defect I would not be covered by insurance...

In the end went to the car park rolled the bars down under 380mm drove back through inspection and he said fine and signed off on the bike so I can get my plates....mind you the bike was more dangerous to ride with the bars lower than normal highball height....went hom and put those sicker straight back up....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Some traffic cop raining on your new bike parade!!!! Blasphemous!!! May that prick burn in the Australian sun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not even a traffic cop these guys are trained vehicle inspectors that are cops and apparently know what they are doing
So either victory are feeding us hi ball folk a lie in oz or this guys a drop kick I'd like to think option 2

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's exactly what the cop gave me I did ask if it's a state thing and he said on its federal....so thus applies to all of Australia this rule....so we hi ball owners are technically in the wrong apparently. I spoke to vic headquarters and they sent me this document that ill attach later just out at the moment...but it doesn't look good....

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Yeah that's exactly what the cop gave me I did ask if it's a state thing and he said on its federal....so thus applies to all of Australia this rule....so we hi ball owners are technically in the wrong apparently. I spoke to vic headquarters and they sent me this document that ill attach later just out at the moment...but it doesn't look good....
Ignorance is bliss...in the words of Sgt Shultz ( I know nuffink!)

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
1. Why does a brand new bike need to be inspected?
2. If the bars are a problem, why not just change the bars?

The bike would look killer with some Z-bars or Bilt Rite bars. Apes are SO 4-years-ago anyway... not that I'm a slave to fashion.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Can't Vic give you shorter bars?
I got a feeling Highball buyers/riders go for the Highball primarily for the mini-apes look.
our low low seat heights compound the 'problem'
Behave yourself out there and you're not likely to come under close scrutiny...like most aftermarket pipes would be technically illegal too.
Stay cool and you'll be cool

·
Registered
460 Posts

The bike would look killer with some Z-bars or Bilt Rite bars. Apes are SO 4-years-ago anyway... not that I'm a slave to fashion.

Nice pic. Those bars would look good on a HighBall. But would we have to change the name? LowBall?:ltr:

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts

:D Apes never go out of style. :D

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
This was all victory gave me....
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:...yes well that's how Victory gets around it hey, in the low position they'd be inside the legal ADR measurement.
very smart thinking.

·
Registered
460 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:...yes well that's how Victory gets around it hey, in the low position they'd be inside the legal ADR measurement.
very smart thinking.
Just have to remember to adjust the hand controls as well
But that no more than loosening the Allen bolts and rotating them.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
:D Apes never go out of style. :D
Style fads come and go. There is one thing that will ALWAYS be in style no matter what fashion trends come and go, and that is horsepower. It will never be fashionable to be the slowest bike in the pack.

Nice pic. Those bars would look good on a HighBall
Yes, and after all, the most important function of handlebars is to make the bike look cooler. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Style fads come and go. There is one thing that will ALWAYS be in style no matter what fashion trends come and go, and that is horsepower. It will never be fashionable to be the slowest bike in the pack.

Yes, and after all, the most important function of handlebars is to make the bike look cooler. :rolleyes:
It's not the most important function but it doesn't hurt. You can't see how much horsepower a bike has when it's parked. And you are always at the front of the pack when you ride alone. You build your bike for what works for you. The pack doesn't ride your bike, you do. And who wants to be part of a pack that you have to chase? Riding fast in a group raises the risk exponentially. Riding a bike is dangerous enough.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's not the most important function but it doesn't hurt. You can't see how much horsepower a bike has when it's parked. And you are always at the front of the pack when you ride alone. You build your bike for what works for you. The pack doesn't ride your bike, you do. And who wants to be part of a pack that you have to chase? Riding fast in a group raises the risk exponentially. Riding a bike is dangerous enough.
Well stated.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts