Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am in the process of getting a victory and I am totally stumped as to what to get (hence joining the forum).

I do regular club cruises and I live somewhere with plenty of hills and twisties as well as km and kms of long empty straight road.

The price of the baggers and the tourers mean I will be looking at a multi functionally cruiser.

My first instinct is to go for the Hammer - how does this fair when say bags etc. are added? Will it do long distances comfortably?

My first impressions looking here is that Vegas is the most versatile of he VICTORY brand? Would this be a correct assumption?

My other query is about the service from Victory/Polaris, is there a benefit to buying new (excellent after care etc.) or are the savings from buying second hand well worth it. Bear in mind that where I live a Vegas costs $22,000 for the base model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and one last query, which bike looks best with a decent sized windscreen?

I would really like one as the wind gets very tiring.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would say find a low mileage 2-4 yr old bike and save half the price of a new one.
Go to a dealer and test ride a Vegas and a XC and go from there.
Remember resale on Vics isnt great.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
My Vegas ticks all the boxes for me but Im old school wind and bugs in the face.
Bought mine used and saved heaps, service everything myself.
Warranties are rarely used.
Ride a few different ones and see which feels like your bike.

·
12,970 Posts
where do you live?

if you want a short ride day say 150 miles a vegas would be fine. If you want a 200 to 300 mile ride a dat get a cross country

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
With a Vic , the warranty is a waste of money . IMO the most versatile Victory is the KINGPIN , it simply rocks all phases of the game . The Kingpin 8Ball in all black is an ASS Kicking ride .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, plenty of long rides and wide open spaces, California weather and conditions bwith Arizona sparseness.

Thanks for the advice so far, some food for thought. There really aren't many second handers here (and they tend to cost almost as much as new, a few grand down, as bikes hold their value very well in Australia).

I am test riding a Hammer S on Saturday, but concerned about the fat tyre.

I have seen a few kingpins forsale, they cant be bought new. Will look deeper. Must make sure its a 106 I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen a 2011 Vegas LE (nice red paint job) for a good price, is this a decent example of a Victory?

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I cover 400-500 miles a day with ease on my Vegas, its got Progressive rear shock, Grasshopper backrest, and I use an Airhawk R over the stock seat.
It eats up miles no worries.
And its 100 cube 6 speed.
BUT... After covering 80,000 kms in just over 2 years of riding pleasure, thats 50.000 miles...Id happily swap my Vegas for a CrossRoads with tubeless mags and a removable screen.
Extra cubes is HP, my Torques the same with my mods.
Better rear suspension and much better ground clearance when scratching through the twisties.
Comfort factor has gotta be better töo on an XR
Though if youre a windshield sorta bloke then go the XC, I like the wind in the face myself. But I tend to live in the past and like my motorcycling raw.
Horses for courses as they say.
Whichever way you go youll be happy with a Victory.
And Welcome to the Forum from a fellow Aussie!

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, plenty of long rides and wide open spaces, California weather and conditions bwith Arizona sparseness.

Thanks for the advice so far, some food for thought. There really aren't many second handers here (and they tend to cost almost as much as new, a few grand down, as bikes hold their value very well in Australia).

I am test riding a Hammer S on Saturday, but concerned about the fat tyre.

I have seen a few kingpins forsale, they cant be bought new. Will look deeper. Must make sure its a 106 I guess.
Are you aware of Victory Australias "WEEKEND ESCAPE" ?
take a bike with a full tank of juice and ride, they throw in a $200 Best Western Hotel voucher so you can stay overnight with a friend on your ride........ Unbeatable test ride and no pressure cos they know "ride one and you'll own one"
Check it out on their website

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
The only downside on the Hammer is the fat back tires don't last all that long and once they wear down some; it's like riding with a car tire in a way because you will have to use more effort to switch back and forth in turns with a bit of 'stand up' feel to it.

I haven't seen anyone do it yet but if you could find a car tire to fit the back wheel you would get a lot more mileage out of it and it may ride better over the life of the tire vs the motorcycle tire. Something to think about anyway.

I agree with the comments about the Vegas, Kingpin, and Crossroads. All excellent machines. If you find one in the 2004-2007 range; don't be afraid to buy it even if it has 50k or more miles on it. If you have a passenger a lot then look closer at the larger baggers such as XR and XC.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
If you ride long distance or like touring ... Don't buy a hammer .... I LOVE my Jackpot, and have NO problems doing twisties ...

When i go on a weekend i put a bag on the rear ...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice everyone, I actually went for a bike because it was a good deal on the end.

I have bought a Used Vegas LE, it looks fantastic and was exactly in my price range. Can't wait for it to arrive!

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Cool!...think I saw the bike you bought...Red and Black with 106 on the sidecovers?...very striking bike if its the one...saw it on bikesales.com...Good score!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts