Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm currently 1000 miles in to a ride and from the start I've been noticing a steering wobble. Its most pronounced over 80 and in slight turns on the highway, also when I lean my weight forward. Its really bumming me out about this bike, I just got it tuned up and fresh tires for this trip, I can't remember noticing this before the new tires but I hadn't ridden it much so not sure.
Anyone have any clue what might be going on or is this normal for an 04 kingpin??? Thanks for any tips :D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
What tires are you running? If they aren't the stock Dunlops, it could be that.Another thing I have experienced on mine, if I don't have the fairing perfectly centered(and the same when I had the windshield) , I get a wobble and an unstable ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It better not be the tires I just spent a million dollars on them but they are the metzelers, stock I'm pretty sure. I doubt ill be able to get a refund on them :(

Any other ideas?

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh, well thanks a lot for the tip ill adjust pressure in the morning I just left it at whatever the dealer put it at. Between mounting the tires and the tires themselves this may have been a costly mistake.
Ill post back tomorrow and report on how the pressure change goes!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I'm sorry I'm a huge noob and have no clue what you're trying to say, could you explain it to me barney style? Thanks!!
Look at the tire size on both tires, and make sure that both either have an "R" in the size, or both do not.

As in 180/55-R-18, or 180/55-18. There may be another letter in the descriptor, but only R means Radial

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I'm sorry I'm a huge noob and have no clue what you're trying to say, could you explain it to me barney style? Thanks!!
To check your tires, do what kevinX said.

What's a radial tire, anyway?
Tires have plies inside, which are reinforcements that hold up the tire's body in its manufactured shape and resist the tensile forces applied to it. These plies (think of them as trusses on a bridge or roof, or as steel reinforcement inside a concrete wall) can be designed to run at 60° to the path of travel (bias ply tires) or at 90° to the path of travel (radial ply tire).

Why does this even matter and how does it relate to wobbles?
Well, the tire ends up having different elasticity characteristics if it's a bias ply or a radial ply tire. The amount of grip also changes at different speeds from one tire type to the other. For example, at 15mph the radial might have less grip than the ply tire, but you won't feel that difference since you're going too slow. At around 40mph, the two tires might end up being a perfect match when it comes to grip. Then you take it to 70mph, and all of the sudden the radial has a lot more grip than the ply tire. This creates the imbalance necessary for a speed wobble to show its ugly head. An under inflated tire will also yield the same effect, which is why everybody keeps reminding everybody else to check their tire pressure often.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts