Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to order some derby and cam covers but for now, i sanded down the stock cover and painted it. I will post a few more pics when it dries, and I put it back on the bike.

$0.00 dollars later.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I love it! I'm adding this to my list!

So are there any special instructions or gotchas to removing the covers?Did you use a high heat spray paint?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WJM,
Nothing special removing the cover. Just the two allen screws holding it on. It was on there pretty good after i took the screws out, so i used a small pic-tool to pop it off.

After sanding, i did use a high heat engine enamel in flat black. Came out great. Already had the tools and paint so it cost me nothing, my favorite price!!

cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it put back on the bike and wow, what a difference.
Last pic is my spiked tank bolts. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I am definitely doing this mod in the near future.
I was also thinking about replacing my tach/speedo with black ones but I may just paint them too.

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
Great job mate. Another thing someone could do is, after sanding, apply a self-leveling primer which takes a lot of the small imperfections out of any base it's applied to.

Then sand the primer lightly with 600 wet/dry sandpaper that has soaked for an hour or more. Wipe clean with water and let dry. Then paint it. Even a rattle can paint job can look fantastic with this method. Rattle can clear can be applied as many times as preferred with 2000 grit wet sanding in between to give that deep look and to protect it best.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that info! I will def do that when i paint my speedometer bezel. thumb up

·
Registered
96 Posts
That turned out awesome. I'd like to do my wheel alignment adjuster. that always bugged me. It would look alot better black.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just hit it with a scotch-brite pad, wiped it down with rubbing alcohol, shot it with some sand-able primer then some BBQ black. Shoot the screws black too. There's four holes for the cover, so you can spin it 90' if you want when you screw it down.
That was almost 2 yrs ago, not a scratch, which is pretty surprising.
Powder coating was the original plan, but it's too thin and the foam gasket wouldn't take the oven bake.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KS_GREG,

I love your bike man!! I was just looking through your pictures and your bike just flows real nice. Where did you get the small windshield in the one pic? I am digging that.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mini-Shield

KS_GREG,

I love your bike man!! I was just looking through your pictures and your bike just flows real nice. Where did you get the small windshield in the one pic? I am digging that.
Thanks. That little black one was put on by the dealer when I bought it. I think Vic calls it the "Superfly Mini-Shield". Posted it for sale a couple of weeks ago.
It deflects some wind, but wasn't my thing. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you sell it already?!?

Another question...will the stock speedometer bezel sand down the same as the primary cover since it is chrome? I want to paint that black too.
:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nevermind, I already did it. :)

I also did the small chrome plate under the speedo.

Will post pics when I get em put back on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Still got the shield, but the Kingpin has the inverted forks, so the clamps would be too big for a Vegas.
Looking forward to the pics of the speedo mounting plate. When the sun hits that chrome plate, it can be painful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking forward to the pics of the speedo mounting plate. When the sun hits that chrome plate, it can be painful.
I'm looking forward to see this as well!

For me, the small chrome piece underneath the bars is what glares the sun in my eyes the most. I think this piece used to house the 6 dummy lights that are now inside the speedo. I would love to take that piece off and paint it black.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm looking forward to see this as well!

For me, the small chrome piece underneath the bars is what glares the sun in my eyes the most. I think this piece used to house the 6 dummy lights that are now inside the speedo. I would love to take that piece off and paint it black.
Yes, I'm interested also. I tried removing the chrome piece that houses the small lights (turn signal, brights, etc..) but couldn't get it removed. Is there anything special that needs to be done??

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I sanded and painted them tonight, worked like a charm, I will post pics tomorrow when it's dry and put back on my bike.

Craig, my plate came off easily once I removed the two screws. My bike is a 2012 so I don't have any lights there, just the plate.

Looking forward to getting it all put back together tomorrow!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Speedometer cover and dummy plate...

First pic was just after I took them off. I am really happy with the outcome of all these pieces i have painted myself. The flat black matches up perfectly with the blacked out headlight. Next on my list is the black-holed speedo bezel from KEWLMETAL and black upper n lower fork tubes to finish off the front end. Oh, and led turns....one question, do you guys know if you can pop the fork caps off? I wanna paint those too! ;)
Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 58 Posts