Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being old sucks...............

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Being old sucks...............
yep...50 next month :| but at least I'll be on a ride in Nova Scotia when it happens :D

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I feel that I am aging my body quicker than it shows, but I can still play with the kids and have the energy to keep acting a fool on 2 wheels. There are days I wake up and ask myself "Why does all the fun stuff end up hurting?"

Skin

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I feel that I am aging my body quicker than it shows, but I can still play with the kids and have the energy to keep acting a fool on 2 wheels. There are days I wake up and ask myself "Why does all the fun stuff end up hurting?"

Skin
I take it as a sign that I wake up feeling worse than when I went to bed ;)....You know, that "ewh!, oh!, ouch!, okay Mike move slowly to the edge and let your feet slide off.....the floor is down there somewhere" feeling .....

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Skin
I have a great grandson, five grandkids. 3 girls and 2 boys. all in their 20's.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I take it as a sign that I wake up feeling worse than when I went bed ;)....You know, that "ewh!, oh!, ouch!, okay Mike move slowly to the edge and let your feet slide off.....the floor is down there somewhere" feeling .....
That is almost an every day and you hit it spot on.

Well I am not disrespecting my elders in any way and I am 37 going on 70...

19yo Son, 17yo Daughter, adopted 17yo daughter (just saying they aren't twins lol), 16yo, 15yo, 14yo, and 3yo Sons.
Corrections Officer on a Max Yard for 4 years, OTR Flatbedder for 6 years, 6 years active duty Army with 2 trips to AFG, 2 years of OK National Guard.
Action sports enthusiast and MTB racer. Dirt bike crasher. Wrestler. The list goes on. I hurt every day but am thankful for each one :grin

Skin

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I suddenly feel a lot better..... :laugh

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is almost an every day and you hit it spot on.

Well I am not disrespecting my elders in any way and I am 37 going on 70...

19yo Son, 17yo Daughter, adopted 17yo daughter (just saying they aren't twins lol), 16yo, 15yo, 14yo, and 3yo Sons.
Corrections Officer on a Max Yard for 4 years, OTR Flatbedder for 6 years, 6 years active duty Army with 2 trips to AFG, 2 years of OK National Guard.
Action sports enthusiast and MTB racer. Dirt bike crasher. Wrestler. The list goes on. I hurt every day but am thankful for each one :grin

Skin
You have a house full, for sure. I'd hate to feed all of those kids. Have 9 and 1/2 years Army, Infantry. 75 thru 84. Peace time Army. Thank you for your service.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
You have a house full, for sure. I'd hate to feed all of those kids. Have 9 and 1/2 years Army, Infantry. 75 thru 84. Peace time Army. Thank you for your service.
Thank you as well. Peacetime service is still service. I was an 88M for deployments supporting CIED operations...then I wised up and reclassed to 15T. Such a large family is the only reason it has taken me this long to buy a new motorcycle. I have never owned a NEW bike ever until now cheers

Skin

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
You kids are giving this 80-1/2 year old the giggles. I realize we all age differently and considering what I've been through, I am one very lucky SOB to still be carving the twisties of life and roads with the best of them. Often, when I'm working a road with tight switchbacks, I say to myself, "Hey, you're 80 and STILL pulling this off....high fives to ya ol' guy!"

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
You kids are giving this 80-1/2 year old the giggles. I realize we all age differently and considering what I've been through, I am one very lucky SOB to still be carving the twisties of life and roads with the best of them. Often, when I'm working a road with tight switchbacks, I say to myself, "Hey, you're 80 and STILL pulling this off....high fives to ya ol' guy!"
47 here and getting stronger everyday....

Health is pure luck of a lottery ticket, but it is the most important thing in life....

Hats off to you RICZ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Over the years I've met guys in their 80's riding. I met a guy in Roswell, New Mexico. He was 83 on a Ultra. He had ridden from northeast Oklahoma to Ruidoso, New Mexico. Met a guy in Junction, TX last fall, riding alone. He was 80 from Corpus Christie, TX. Retired Navy man. His wife had a domino tournament every year and he would take off and ride. He had been married to the same woman for like 60 years. He had some good stories. He had the room next to mine at a motor inn. He was on a Dyna. There are more out there than you realize. RICZ Washington does have some great roads.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
NAB, I ain't claiming to be the oldest, or near to it. Just in my area, there are groups of riders where I'm the kid. There was a guy over 100 who rode every day - on a Honda Cub, but he was still up on 2 wheels. He's my role model.

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NAB, I ain't claiming to be the oldest, or near to it. Just in my area, there are groups of riders where I'm the kid. There was a guy over 100 who rode every day - on a Honda Cub, but he was still up on 2 wheels. He's my role model.
Didn't think you was. It's great you and the others are still able to ride at 80+ years. Don't think I'll live to see 80. Could nothing wrong with me other than getting crippled up. Everything else ok.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
It isn't the number of years; it's the quality of life during the years.

Of course if one is lucky and can have both the quality and quantity of years; all the better...

When I think of all the times I was "rode hard and put away wet" I get a little smile. ;)

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
I have to admit that luck has played a huge role in where I am at health-wise.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
luck isn't it my friends. You are blessed by the Lord and he gives us life every day. It's a gift. I know so make the best of each day. I've been through 2 Heart surgery's and still going at 70 and love riding my CCT through the twisties :ride :.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
It isn't the number of years; it's the quality of life during the years.

Of course if one is lucky and can have both the quality and quantity of years; all the better...

When I think of all the times I was "rode hard and put away wet" I get a little smile. ;)
Agreed. I look back on my life, short as compared to some of you gentlemen, and I am thankful for everything that has made me who I am.
"I don't lose, I learn."
Stay safe out there and keep clocking those miles and making new memories cheers

Skin

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
While luck in the form of good genetics or lack of deadly or disabling accidents plays a large role, there are things we can all do to help improve and maintain our good health. These things are very well known and include such unpopular options as don't smoke, limit alcohol intake, exercise, maintain a balanced diet, control your weight, wear a seatbelt. Of course these are all statistically able to lengthen life and benefit your health. For every one of these things, you can find statistical outliers - someone who does an unhealthy thing or does not do a healthy thing and still is healthy and lives a long life. That is part of the luck aspect. But statistically, these things are well known to improve health and make it more likely that you will be lucky. I am a strong proponent of the items I listed and practice them all (with the exception of the limited alcohol intake). I would much rather have a higher chance of being healthy and living a longer life than have a lower chance.

I am 56 years old, have a good weight/height balance, eat healthy but not obsessively, work out for ~90 minutes almost 7 days a week, have never taken a single drag off a tobacco cigarette, and always wear my seatbelt. I'm very healthy, am on zero prescription medicines, and the only surgeries in my entire life were removal of wisdom teeth and removal tonsils (when I was ~5 y.o.). Certainly I've been lucky both in the genetics department and in avoiding accidents but my actions and lifestyles have contributed significantly to this luck.

Still, I do wake up a bit sore in the mornings and definitely can't do as much or as strenuous physical activity as I could as a youth. Getting old is a losing game :)

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 20 of 21 Posts