Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been doing my homework for a while now and I'm ready Purchase my first Victory. I had my eyes set on a new suede orange xc. But my local dealer has a 2011 Ness xc that looks great but has 21k miles on it. That seems like a lot of miles for two years or is that just well broken in. 5 months ago they wanted $21,900 for it and this week they dropped the price to $16,999. But are great bikes but a Ness xc at that price is Very temping. Advice and opinions are appreciated.

-webChad

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Pros
it's a Ness. Marginally higher resale.
He gutted his ridiculous asking price so you have wiggle room for horsetrading.

Cons
That is a lot of miles.
ABS became stock on 2012's and that may mean as much or more to a resale than Corey (Who?) Ness cosmetics.

There are brandy new 2011's and 2012's out there in that price range for the Cross Country Tour. A base Cross bike brand new is out there somewhere for less by thousands.

The givens are that the odds of getting a junkpile are real small, not that it can't happen but these are fairly bulletproof. 20k on the clock is a big number but you can use that number to negate any BS about extra "Ness" value. Thing is, when you first saw that bike months ago did you say to yourself "Man, that would fit just right between my legs but not for that money" or... did you notice the sticker change the other day and say "Man that would fit my wallet ".

Pop says never buy what your wallet tells you to. This isn't a head of cabbage.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Traded my JP in with 35,000 miles. New belt, new brakes, new plugs, clean air filter, change oiled. No problems. Take care of these and you should be fine. Women in Tucson is selling hers with 70,000 miles no problems either

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
20,000 miles on a two year old bike is not a big number.At least not to me. On a Vic motor, that is barely broken in. I have 55,000 on my Kingpin and it runs as good as it ever has. I would use it as a bargaining chip if possible of course, but I wouldn't let the miles bother me.
The Ness models aren't that impressive to me. But I know some people love them.
I think if I were in the same situation, I would lean to the new bike. Since there is only a couple thousand difference in price. And you would get the warranty and you would know how the miles get put on a new one. It's hard to tell how a used bike has been ridden, even if they kept it clean and neat.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Traded my JP in with 35,000 miles. New belt, new brakes, new plugs, clean air filter, change oiled. No problems. Take care of these and you should be fine. Women in Tucson is selling hers with 70,000 miles no problems either
I rode a JP yesterday at the demo. Was surprised by how comfortable it was. Think it was a bit wider at the front of the seat which resulted in a bit of leg splaying feeling. I didn't notice that on the plain Vegas, but aside from that, the JP fit me really well. Anyway, a little Suzanne Sommers isometric thigh exercise wouldn't kill me.

The rear tire ruined it. Felt like ass in a corner. Regular Vegas much superior. They put a 180 or 200 on a JP and I could house one of them for pimpin round town.

But I digress...

As to the bikes, you're styling choice intrigues me. You're choosing between a matte finished, chromeless model and the brightest, flashiest, styling a Vic has ever displayed. Kinda like choosing your clothing between Duluth Trading or the Liberace Sequin Emporium.

Personally, I'm too lazy to keep the sequins clean, so for me the choice would be easy. The fact you get a warranty with a new one is no small consideration either.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I thought the same thing on my JP it after a few miles you can whip that fat tire around with no problem. Only issue I had was fat tire did not feel great locked up during emergency stop. More due to cold day and hard Dunlop rubber. Metzs solve that issue.

Buy+ride=happiness. Too many people wasting days, weeks trying to find the perfect deal. One long ride is worth a lot more than the couple hundred bucks saved

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tarzan, I think you have a great point about the new bike warranty being worth more than the few dollars under retail they are asking for the used bike.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Buy+ride=happiness. Too many people wasting days, weeks trying to find the perfect deal. One long ride is worth a lot more than the couple hundred bucks saved
+1 on this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts