Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks ago, I went for a quick ride, first of the season. Around 8pm or so. Traveling two lane road, car in front pulled into the suicide Lane like he was making a left turn. I rolled on and all of a sudden he came back into my Lane. Never laid the bike down and all things considered, minor damage. My question is, adding additional light output make a difference overall? I know when they're not paying attention, nothing really help. Just trying to increase my chances

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
More light cant hurt I suppose. I have a brite green vest I wear some. (I should get better about that) A headlight modulator will help.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
I have been riding 64 years and conspicuity is my #1 priority. I do not do black. My helmets are white. I have Hyper-Lites running and brake lights on the rear and Clearwater Darla LED lights on the front. They are always on and when high beam is on, they are on 100%. In low beam, their intensity is selected with a handlebar control, but still bright and attention getting. The Darlas are mounted low and wide so I have a triangle of lights as seen by oncoming traffic. I get a ton of compliments about them from other riders.
Clearwater lights aren't cheap, but I chalk it up to a one time life insurance premium and they are high quality to the extreme. There are cheaper LEDs for sure and some can be found here...
motorcycle led - Buy Cheap motorcycle led - From Banggood I have ordered many items from Banggood and never been disappointed. The free shipping is icing on their low price cake.
Another "be seen" are HID conversion headlight bulbs. A forum member, Crossroads, sells very good ones at a competitive price and tosses in a lifetime guarantee.

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
To that, I will add....ride like you are invisible. Never assume they see you. Don't assume they are going to turn left or right or do whatever it is they are signalling. They lie!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm not sure any amount of effort helps these days. people aren't paying attention, they have no courtesy or concern for other motorists, and i feel just as invisible in my wife's subaru or my land yacht old ford as i do on a bike. and now we have collision detection, blind spot warnings and adaptive cruise so drivers can pay even LESS attention

remember when driving was considered a privilege and a responsibility?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Couple weeks ago, I went for a quick ride, first of the season. Around 8pm or so. Traveling two lane road, car in front pulled into the suicide Lane like he was making a left turn. I rolled on and all of a sudden he came back into my Lane. Never laid the bike down and all things considered, minor damage. My question is, adding additional light output make a difference overall? I know when they're not paying attention, nothing really help. Just trying to increase my chances
I have a LED headlight with a modulator plus I have two very bright LED driving lights. The modulating headlights does annoy some but I really don't care. They see me. Headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The weather was so nice this past weekend and found some less traveled roads... nary a car coming or going. I'm in my enjoy but be careful mode and sure enough at 50 mph, a scurrying coon almost met his end. I was wondering if I'd been going 60 if I'd caught him.

Suffice it to say, it still shook me just a little. A 10 lbs critter can knock us off our bikes. I was determined to hit him... not dodge him.

Potholes, limbs, critters, idgit drivers, and so many things that make many motorcycle lovers stop doing what they enjoy.

In my short time of riding less than 5 years, I've heard enough stories to truly make me think twice about all of this.

The joy of riding like this past weekend cannot be compared. I hope I never get the scare of my life enough to make me want to quit.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Dill I just spent 4 days in MS... Vicksburg, Jackson, Pearl. What a great state! I really loved Vicksburg. You have some truly remarkable riding... Natchez Trace is unreal! The food in your fine state is also top shelf! If you haven't been to Beechwood restaurant & bar in Vicksburg it's a must! I am headed back down there later this week to finish up a business deal... Can't wait!

·
13,003 Posts
why is it us. I think they guy in the car never looked. There so involved in what they're doing they forget there is other people out there driving. We have all seen the car stop in the lain cause they don't know where to turn or are going.
I think extra lights should be up high around bars would do more good. A driver can't see lights mounted down low I think

·
Registered
12,207 Posts
Wrong VJ. Long ago, studies confirmed a triangle of lights garners the most attention. That's why railroad locomotives have that as well as many light rail systems.
All the electronic collision prevention devices going into cars these days are going to turn out legions of zombie drivers who are not adept at being able to actually drive a car. So we get another unintended consequence like all the safety devices that created aggressive drivers because they knew they could survive a crash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info. I knew this wasn't an easy question with an easy answer. The fact remains, many, if not most, drivers are distracted these days and with all the gadgets in our cars, how can we not be. I've been saying this for years that all these new "safety" devices are causing drivers to forget how to drive.

RICZ - do you have any links for the products you're talking about? (not the banggood but the others)

·
Registered
12,207 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Wrong VJ. Long ago, studies confirmed a triangle of lights garners the most attention. That's why railroad locomotives have that as well as many light rail systems.
All the electronic collision prevention devices going into cars these days are going to turn out legions of zombie drivers who are not adept at being able to actually drive a car. So we get another unintended consequence like all the safety devices that created aggressive drivers because they knew they could survive a crash.
I agree, down low is where they should be...That way it breaks up the frontal profile of a bike.. and it does get attention..Just look when a bike is coming the other way, and has those small bright led lights mounted low on the case protectors [AKA Crash bars] you can spot them a half mile away.... I personally don't only depend on just lights to save me.. I scan the road with my eyes, Like looking for Gooks in a Spider hole...

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
amd when you want to pull out to the right and go on down the road. Dont trust people that are all in the fast lane as you look left. sure as hell when you pull out someone will pull into right lane. it has happened to me more than once. I will wait till all are by before I pull out. Like said dont trust anything.

glad your ok

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Dill aint it the truth on them critters. A few years back, a buddy of mine and I were on a trip from NC to Cincinnati. On some Kentucky back road (it was a 4 lane) Out from the right side I caught glimpse of something running my way. I missed him and I watched in the mirror as Lynn was following. It had just enough speed he missed it and all he had to do was blip the throttle. I sure was thinking that wood chuck or whatever was going to ruin our trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts