Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wearing SWAT style boots for riding quite a while now. I pay ~$100-120/pair and I've noticed something lately....these boots don't hold up very well and I go through a pair every 1 to 1.5 years. After the upper came apart on my latest SWAT pair I decided it was time to invest in actual quality riding boots. The problem is there is limited retail places and even more limited retail selections. I hate buying clothes or wearable items off the internet, pictures and vids don't always represent and then there is the whole fitment issue(especially for footwear) then we have to get into calls to CS, returns, shipping and that whole scene. Anyway, I started doing my research, I came across a pair that I thought would fit my wants; 1.quality 2.comfort 3. style 4. waterproof/breathable. I wasn't too concerned about price as I was looking to invest in boots that will last this time and knew I'd be north for $200.
I zeroed in on these Forma Adventure Low boots but for the reasons above didn't buy them right away. I have a Cycle Gear about 30mins from my house, I headed up there to pickup some helmet shampoo and find out if by the off chance they had these boots in stock. Of course they didn't but told me if I purchased anything off the web site and I didn't like or it didn't fit I could bring it to the store and they would 100% handle any return or exchange :) Well that boosted my confidence to buy.
I placed my order on Wednesday night with the free shipping option and had the Forma boots Saturday afternoon. Well my first thought as I took them out of the box was "damn, these kinda look like snow boots" :( I put them on and after 1/2 hour I had some serious toe ache going on..so these are a no go.

Sunday morning I brought the boots to my local Cycle Gear and they did the refund no problem. The sales associate said they got more riding shoes in for the season, if I wanted to have a look..I had seen their selection in the past and its mostly the cheap BiLT brand, which I wasn't interested in. Not expecting to find anything that would fit my bill, I did look and much to my surprise I found the perfect boot and in my size :D TCX Hero WP I put them on in the store, wore the boots around for about 45mins while my buddy Dave and his wife shopped for a helmet and about forgot they were on my feet thumb up. Rode with them home, they were just as comfy and I love the look...Scored my new boots...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm curious what shoe size do you normally wear? In a tennis shoe, I wear a 10 4E (extra wide), but in western style boots and work boots, I wear a 9.5 D. So, I'm like you, comfort is a concern and of course, buying online is tough. For tennis shoes, I wear New Balance, I can buy those online, since I know my size and they do a good job of all of the shoes they make fitting the same.

I currently wear a western style work boot made my Justin when I'm riding. They are comfortable and breathable for the most part, but if I'm riding to work everyday, they will start to hurt my feet toward the end of the week, so I'd like to move to a more comfortable tactical or swat boot style.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The photo you sent me of the boots looked great. The photo above definitely looks like snow boots. Glad you were able to return them hassle-free, and glad you found something that works for you.
Turns out there's a CycleGear about 30-40 mins away from me too! :D

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm curious what shoe size do you normally wear? In a tennis shoe, I wear a 10 4E (extra wide), but in western style boots and work boots, I wear a 9.5 D. So, I'm like you, comfort is a concern and of course, buying online is tough. For tennis shoes, I wear New Balance, I can buy those online, since I know my size and they do a good job of all of the shoes they make fitting the same.

I currently wear a western style work boot made my Justin when I'm riding. They are comfortable and breathable for the most part, but if I'm riding to work everyday, they will start to hurt my feet toward the end of the week, so I'd like to move to a more comfortable tactical or swat boot style.
I wear a 12W these TCX boots are size 46. On a side note, the Forma boots that hurt my toes were size 47. (Both TCX and Forma are made in Italy so they are Euro sized)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Bought a pair of "tactical boots" from 501 Tactical. They are lightweight, comfortable and waterproof. Have put over 40,000 riding miles on them and they're still going strong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Bought a pair of "tactical boots" from 501 Tactical. They are lightweight, comfortable and waterproof. Have put over 40,000 riding miles on them and they're still going strong.
I searched for 501 tactical, 5.11 tactical came up, is that the one or do you have a link to 501 Tactical?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That's a high price for footwear.
Curious how well they hold up.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have worn a pair of low cost (~$60) leather work boots for years when riding. They go slightly above the ankle, were purchased at Meijers grocery/dept store, say "Caterpillar" on them, and have a yellow highlight on the sole. I've got probably 40,000 riding miles on these boots and they look barely used.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have worn a pair of low cost (~$60) leather work boots for years when riding. They go slightly above the ankle, were purchased at Meijers grocery/dept store, say "Caterpillar" on them, and have a yellow highlight on the sole. I've got probably 40,000 riding miles on these boots and they look barely used.
So I should have bought Caterpillar boots instead of Walmart.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
They might have these Caterpillar boots at Walmart. I bought them at Meijers which is just another big chain store and not some sort of specialty shoe emporium :) But in general, yes, you should strive to do everything exactly like I do it :) You are well underway in this endeavor my young padawan with the purchase of a sunset orange (really burgundy) XCT.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
A few years ago (3?) I bought a pair of Bates boots from a former LE only shop. They're waterproof, lightweight, have a front lace with a side zipper for easy on/off, they're as comfortable as can be, they're quiet when walking in the house and they're holding up wonderfully. I love them. They're a combination of leather and ballistic nylon. After a few years, even the soles are still looking great.

They look like this and have these same features: https://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en/siege-waterproof-side-zip/31976M.html?dwvar_31976M_color=E05168#cgid=men-use-tactical&start=1

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
GT Distributors 100 McFarland Ave. Rossville, GA 30741 is the place to go. You won't pay MSRP for anything I've ever seen their.

Plus they offer the very best gun and ammo pricing I've found anywhere in the Southeast. I recently bought 15 boxes of brand new Speer Lawman 357Sig ammo for $8.99 a box/50. Yup, $8.99 a box. They often have LE agency turn in ammo. When they do, it's clearly brand new, never opened boxes. Two months ago I got several boxes of Speer Lawman 45ACP for $12.99 a box/50. It was also LE turn in ammo in never opened brand new boxes. As LE agencies switch to 9mm, GT gets their non current ammo and sells it cheap and fast.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Those Bates boots are nearly identical to the Walmart boobs I've been wearing.
Love a side zipper.

No Vinish I can't be as cool as you. Lol
I am in the market for new boots since my current have the soles held on with duct tape. It got me home.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I searched for 501 tactical, 5.11 tactical came up, is that the one or do you have a link to 501 Tactical?
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................where are we? :eek:

Pardon my 'brain fart'. Yep it is 5.11 Tactical. The A.T.A.C. Storm Boot is the one I have. They are lightweight, comfortable and most important, waterproof. Have gone up about $15 since I bought mine but they have been worth the money.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm still digging my Icon Patrol 2 boots. They're my first actual motorcycle boot*. They have a flat sole that is super comfortable when I stretch out like I like to on the Vision.

I almost went with a pair a TCX. They look like they make a great boot. Maybe next time.

Now if I could just find the wife a pair of armored boots she doesn't hate.

*These are my first armored boot. I do own a pair of Milwaukee harness boots but they are just leather and not that great in my Vision. They worked better in my Pin.

·
Registered
483 Posts
GT Distributors 100 McFarland Ave. Rossville, GA 30741 is the place to go. You won't pay MSRP for anything I've ever seen their.

Plus they offer the very best gun and ammo pricing I've found anywhere in the Southeast. I recently bought 15 boxes of brand new Speer Lawman 357Sig ammo for $8.99 a box/50. Yup, $8.99 a box. They often have LE agency turn in ammo. When they do, it's clearly brand new, never opened boxes. Two months ago I got several boxes of Speer Lawman 45ACP for $12.99 a box/50. It was also LE turn in ammo in never opened brand new boxes. As LE agencies switch to 9mm, GT gets their non current ammo and sells it cheap and fast.
I've ordered my duty ammo from them for years. They do have good prices and usually have 50 runs boxes instead of the 20 round that many stores stock of defence ammo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts