Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the camel. Lizard is OK. Don't really care for Maxwell. But I am coming to really HATE the company.

I have heard from others who have had claims on bikes and cars and have all been happy. Quick service and reasonable settlements.

My wife was a passenger in an automobile accident on the 3rd of January. The motorist T Boned her at 55 and witnesses verified the other guy ran a red light. No argument at all as to who is at fault. Total hospital bills for her is around $8,000 and some bruises and lost time and ringing in her ears that will not go away. They will not pay--have not paid a cent to this point. They do not even want to pay for all of the medical bills. Wife's insurance paid most of the hospital and ambulance and we are making payments on the $1700 balance. They are saying her insurance should pay and they will pay the difference and give us about $700 for our troubles. Having settled personal injury settlements before, I decided to try without a lawyer again.

BIG MISTAKE!!!!!! I have now turned it over and in the waiting stage.

Has anybody dealt with them in the personal injury department? Not auto or bike claims, but PI? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
They can't afford to keep making payouts all the time, they have those fancy commercials to think about...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is what the wife says!

It seems that if you are a CUSTOMER and have a claim, they tend to treat you OK. If you are not a paying customer to their company and have a claim..................................................

·
13,251 Posts
Not that this helps. Had my stolen in 09 called state farm and lady said someone would contact me. Next day claims office called and said we will be back in thirty days. Thirty days to the date they called said check was in the mail.
I was impressed how they handled every thing.
I hope you stick it to the other insurance good

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
4 Inch, you didn't say if your insurance carrier is doing the leg work to get the claim paid or if you are. Here's what I have learned that works; be assertive but polite and drag it out a long time, if you can afford it. Claims agents are under great pressure to 1. pay nothing or next to it and 2. get it done right away cuz more claims come in daily. Did anyone take photos of the crash and did you take photos of the wife's injuries? That's very important and can get you what you want and maybe more. Here's why....
I had a girl hit me while I was on my bike, the property damage agent couldn't pay fast enough as he was so taken with the XR, but the PI guy was another story. I told him what I wanted for pain & suffering (no broken bones, just scrapes and bruises) and he told me what ridiculously low amount he'd pay. I'd let a month go by before replying (all negotiations were via phone or email) and told him no deal, then he'd up it a tad. Another month, etc.. After 4 months, I emailed him a photo my wife took of a huge ugly bruise on my thigh and told him this is what a jury would see on a 75 year old with over 60 years riding experience, many training courses and this was his first go down of any kind ever. And, oh by the way, he's an incurable cancer patient (I did not say I was going to take them to court, mind you). I got the full amount right away. Ya gotta know how to play their nasty little game.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wife had an wreck and geico had an agent there before I got there. Looked over the damage said they could fix it or he would write it off and cut us a check to replace the car as it was only a few months old. Asked for a check and was printed right there, so I have been very impressed by them but have not had to use them for medical bills

We did have the extra gap insurance on the car for five dollars extra a month

·
Registered
504 Posts
4IP - all joking aside - if you want some real service and you want it now, there are two key words to learn in the insurance industry that gets them hopping real quick.

"BAD FAITH"....

Just let them know that you'll be calling your local insurance commissioner with a claim of "bad faith" against them. Im almost positive they will sing a different song. good luck.

EDIT: - I just reread your post and saw your wife was a passenger. Is Geico the car owners insurance company she was riding in? or where do they come into play? you also said "They are saying her insurance should pay and they will pay the difference and give us about $700 for our troubles" - this is true and all they have to pay is the difference. A bad faith claim against a insurance company can only be made by the policy holder.... sorry for that.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sucks that you have to go though it but really, you can't expect them to be jumping all over themselves to pay you. While they are financially responsible for their client, they are a business and the only way for them to make money is to not pay out claims. They're going to pay out to customers because they need to retain people and brag about their customer satisfaction ratings. But they're no going to pay anyone else unless they absolutely have to. Most people without a lawyer will eventually settle or give up for MUCH less money because of the time and effort involved. Hiring a lawyer puts them in the position of dealing with the ins company and they're not going to give up until you tell them to/stop paying them. You can get the same results without a lawyer but you will have to work much harder and longer to get it.

Now, that said at the end of the day their client injured your wife, they are responsible to pay her medical bills, vehicle damages, and likely a "pain and suffering" amount but not to exceed whatever the guy that hit her is covered up to. Bear in mind that the vast majority of people only carry the state mandated minimums for liability coverage. In CT the minimums are 10k property damage, 20k bodily injury per person/40k per event. So your wife falls under the 20/40k portion of that (if this happened in ct for example). If the driver of the car she was in sustained more than 32k worth of injuries (including pain and suffering claims and possibly lost wages though I'm not sure if thats included under injury or property) then the guy who hit them would not have enough coverage to pay your wife's medical bills. At that point the uninsured/under insured coverage carried by the owner of the car she was in comes into play, up to whatever those limits are (if any). After all of that is exhausted, your wife's personal medical insurance should take up the remaining slack less any deductibles or copays she may have.

So it is entirely possible that even after lawyering up, you will get nothing out of them. It's a shitty situation but that's how ins. works.

I'm glad she is relatively ok given the severity of the crash, hopefully having a lawyer now will get this resolved for you both sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What REALLY REALLY REALLY bothers me the most is the attitude. I have settled PI claims with (and know others who have) Nationwide, State Farm, Liberty Mut. In these cases I was dealing with agents--real live people. Here, it is a voice that passes a message on to their boss whom I never get to speak to. The coverage is 30, 50, 100. I understand them not wanting to throw money at me, but you would think they would jump at the chance to keep a lawyer out of the discussion. You can bet I would never buy anything from them and I will use the chance to tell this story whenever I can.

·
Registered
611 Posts
What REALLY REALLY REALLY bothers me the most is the attitude. I have settled PI claims with (and know others who have) Nationwide, State Farm, Liberty Mut. In these cases I was dealing with agents--real live people. Here, it is a voice that passes a message on to their boss whom I never get to speak to. The coverage is 30, 50, 100. I understand them not wanting to throw money at me, but you would think they would jump at the chance to keep a lawyer out of the discussion. You can bet I would never buy anything from them and I will use the chance to tell this story whenever I can.
I feel what you're saying, I really do. I'm by no means an apologist for the insurance companies, I've had plenty of issues with them myself. Coverages being what they are I suspect your wife should be able to get something out of them but you will have to stay with it and annoy the hell out of them. You'd think they would jump at the chance to keep a lawyer out of it and most companies do by simply paying out as little as possible in an upfront settlement. Not sure why geico is taking the hardball approach but I have to assume it's because it has worked for them in the majority of cases. They're hoping you will give up and go away without having to pay you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts