Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was puttin' around last night and stopped for a beverage. As I got off the bike an orange glow from the engine area caught my eye... the header pipe for the rear cylinder was HOT. I am still in the break-in period, have not installed the Stage 1 yet, and had been taking it easy just puttin' around town.

When I got back on the bike I kept an eye on it, and yes... any load what so ever will get that pipe to glow. While going down the road I can see the reflection off the chrome cover for the front drive pulley.

So... Is this normal??

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
photo.jpg

This is a pic of the glowing pipe as seen in the reflection off the cover... not a very good pic as it had a little time to cool and there was a lot of background light.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You look to be running way lean. Have you changed anything yet like the air filter, baffles, etc?
Completely stock 2013 Cross Country Tour with about 300 miles on it.

·
13,231 Posts
Glowing can be from to lean. What are you getting for miles per gallon?
You could have a slight exhaust leak.
Are you doing a lot of stop and go traffic and lugging your motor

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glowing can be from to lean. What are you getting for miles per gallon?
You could have a slight exhaust leak.
Are you doing a lot of stop and go traffic and lugging your motor
Average since 0 miles is 37.8mpg. Normal Saturday evening in Jax... some stop-n-go, but mostly go. Trying to keep rpms under 3,000 for break in.

Exhaust leak... hmmmm. At the head or where the header meets the muffler can?

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
+1 on way, way too lean. At 300 miles you should be revving 'er up over 3,000 occasionally. Otherwise, you'll have her well broken in under 3K, but not for over 3K. You should have seen what they did at the factory when your bike rolled off the assembly line and onto the dyno. OMG!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I said "trying"... but occasionally I get over 3K anyway. Trying to break it in per Vic recommendations.

Running way lean is a problem and can cause major damage. Dealer is 100 miles away.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just re-torqued exhaust bolts. One was at least 1/2 a turn loose. Set wrench at 15, one side tight, other loose. Moved up to 18 and repeated. I have a feeling that's not the real problem, but we will see.

Breaking out the infrared thermometer and going for a spin.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
same

I noticed this also on my bike. Yes they will do it, the dealer told me because of course I questioned him about it. Yes they run lean, he also told me this. Now I do remember working on my old Chevys at night with the headers on that V8 and yes running them in the dark the old headers will glow. Remember that is single wall of tube steel that is being used to run for the exhaust. It will get very hot.

Reactions: Rickybobby

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I said "trying"... but occasionally I get over 3K anyway. Trying to break it in per Vic recommendations.

Running way lean is a problem and can cause major damage. Dealer is 100 miles away.
Call your dealer RIGHT AWAY and tell them what is going on. Doesn't matter the distance. You could also ask them is THEY want you to pull the O2 sensors so that it will run richer. If you are in your 1st year, Ma Vic pays for towing so you could (probably) leverage that Victory Rider's Association to cover towing... or more accurately, your dealer could do that

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Call your dealer RIGHT AWAY and tell them what is going on. Doesn't matter the distance. You could also ask them is THEY want you to pull the O2 sensors so that it will run richer. If you are in your 1st year, Ma Vic pays for towing so you could (probably) leverage that Victory Rider's Association to cover towing... or more accurately, your dealer could do that
Oh brother. His bike doesn't have some magical map. It was designed to run that way. I still have a pizza I'm willing to bet that if he unplugs his O2 sensors it does the same damn thing.

You want it to run cooler, either buy the Stage 1 kit or buy an aftermarket fuel controller and take it to a tuner.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When working on carbed engines glowing headers when putting around ain't good. The last XC didn't do it, but there was a Stage 1 installed from the start. So this has me concerned cause I don't want to hurt anything.

Dealer owes me a Stage 1, but they wanted to wait untill after the break-in to install.

I took some temperature measurements, which if nothing else will serve as a good base line. Ambient temp was mid 70's.

There was an average of 20 degrees diffrence between front and rear for both the head (top half of jug) and combustion chamber (bottom half).

Average rear header temp was 379, highest was 446.

So, based on the lack of consensus here I will be calling the dealer Monday and get thier thoughts on this....... and go from there.

cheers

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
When working on carbed engines glowing headers when putting around ain't good.
According to AA1Car.com, the normal operating temperature of the converter can range up to 1,200 to 1,600 degrees Fahrenheit. The converter needs to reach 400 to 600 degrees to begin functioning.

·
13,231 Posts
there will always be different temperatures between the two cylinders cause of the way the air gets to them.
Guess we will half to wait till you do some more night riding.
You should take a day off work and be at dealer when he opens
Good Luck Bob

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jonny.... Don't encourage me.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Oh brother. His bike doesn't have some magical map. It was designed to run that way. I still have a pizza I'm willing to bet that if he unplugs his O2 sensors it does the same damn thing.

You want it to run cooler, either buy the Stage 1 kit or buy an aftermarket fuel controller and take it to a tuner.
SB - You do KNOW that there HAVE been a few engines that failed in their first 500 miles, right? I don't think the details have come out on those but I DO know that a new engine was put in one of them. Why not simply socialize it with his dealer rather than chastising someone on the internet?

PS - I've been to a lot of bike nights and to my knowledge, my pipes have never "glowed" as the OP was stating so (to me), it seems like something he should actually check with his dealer rather than (foolishly) ignoring it as you would (appear) to be recommending to him.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
SB - You do KNOW that there HAVE been a few engines that failed in their first 500 miles, right? I don't think the details have come out on those but I DO know that a new engine was put in one of them. Why not simply socialize it with his dealer rather than chastising someone on the internet?

PS - I've been to a lot of bike nights and to my knowledge, my pipes have never "glowed" as the OP was stating so (to me), it seems like something he should actually check with his dealer rather than (foolishly) ignoring it as you would (appear) to be recommending to him.
If I had a dollar for everytime someone noticed their pipes glowing at night...well, I'd have a lot of dollars...

Anyway, I wasn't chastising. Call the service manager, see what he thinks. I just thought your post came across as a little melodramatic. If his machine was running drastically out of spec, it would likely manifest itself in more ways than the exhaust pipes getting hot. They do wear heat shields for a reason ya know. ;)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, SB. That's about what mine was doing just not as bad. Same idea except I was just putting around, not turning 5,000 RPMs on a dyno pushing 100HP.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts