Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a GMAN Bully on my Previous Bike (Suzuki C50) and loved the way it smoothed out the engine and gave a little more power.

Now I have an 09 Vision and want the same!

I see I have more options.... The Lloydz VFCIII, the Dobeck EJK and the trusty Gman.

Anyone here use the first 2 listed above?

They all look the same but are they really?

Thanks!! Roger

·
Registered
690 Posts
From what I understand, for our Victorys, Lloydz VFC III is better of the ones you listed. The maps developed for it are for Victory specific. Where as the others are more of a garden variety type of set up. But the best is probably Power commander V.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well... since I only heard from one person(thanks JaysonL), I did some more checking around, sent emails and made phone calls. Best I could determine, the company Dobeck makes all these type of controllers and sells them to everyone else...Lloydz, Gman, etc. with the EJK brand being their house brand. Dobeck always emailed back in very short notice, i am very happy with them so far.

I emailed Lloydz and never heard back so I finally called Lloydz and all the tech guy could tell me was... "I don't know about the Gman or Dobeck EJK, I just know most people ask for a comparison with the Power Commander". I asked the tech ifthe Dobeck/EJK was same as theirs, just with a different label, cause it has the same buttons, same lights, same instructions.. He said it " Sounds just like the one we sell" ..... duh, I knew that!!!

So, since the Dobeck was cheapest with free shipping, great customer service and apparently they make them, I bought one!!

I will post my findings but will be a few weeks till I can get it installed.

Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Please do keep us posted. Could you provide a link to the one you purchased.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Dobeck is the creator and original founder of Dynojet... You probably didn't make a mistake going that route...

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
The hardware is the same in all the Dobeck units, but the software in the Loydz unit was evolved through hundreds of hours of time on the Dyno, and on the street. I worked with Lloyd in late 07 to help build the initial programming in his units, and we ended up a long way from the initial Dobeck load. Since that time Lloyd has done countless updates to his units to make them as close to perfect as possible. Everybody else including Dobeck are way behind the curve with these controllers

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Thank you very much for that info, Kevin...that got me off the fence, finally. Another advantage to the Lloydz controller is they told me they could dial it in for my mods so I can install it and have it adjusted fairly close to my needs. That's what I call personal service.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kevin, but a few days late!! cheers

The tech guy I talked to at Lloyds had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about the Dobeck controller. Oh well, guess I will have to spend the next 2 yrs relearning what the real Lloyd knows. Would be nice to have someone there answer emails too. I emailed about a week ago and still no response.

I emailed Dobeck several times and never waited more than a few business hours for a response (one email was sent at 9pm, received reply the next morning before noon).

No big deal! Sh!t happens, emails get lost, etc.. Gotta spread the wealth around I suppose, so I did order the Vision Intake Filter from Lloyds!!

Ride safe guys!!

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
wfsdno...never expect a company to know what its competition is doing. Many businesses are too busy making a better mouse trap to spend time eavesdropping on the others. Better you should have limited your questions to their product, after all, that's what they know best. As Kevin stated, Lloydz controller is that better mouse trap for our Vics.
I have always had reasonably fast email responses from Danny at Lloydz and gotten great info on the phone.

·
13,235 Posts
Thanks Kevin, but a few days late!! cheers

The tech guy I talked to at Lloyds had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about the Dobeck controller. Oh well, guess I will have to spend the next 2 yrs relearning what the real Lloyd knows. Would be nice to have someone there answer emails too. I emailed about a week ago and still no response.

I emailed Dobeck several times and never waited more than a few business hours for a response (one email was sent at 9pm, received reply the next morning before noon).

No big deal! Sh!t happens, emails get lost, etc.. Gotta spread the wealth around I suppose, so I did order the Vision Intake Filter from Lloyds!!

Ride safe guys!!
Guess you have never read any of Lloydz post. He is a small shop working on bikes traveling to victory evens and trying to have a life.
If takes time out to answer your email and he has cams to install on some ones bike. Guess what emails can wait.
Hes not a big shop and for a tech not knowing about the controller your asking about its not his job to know about them and he does know what works best for them and there customers.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The hardware is the same in all the Dobeck units, but the software in the Loydz unit was evolved through hundreds of hours of time on the Dyno, and on the street. I worked with Lloyd in late 07 to help build the initial programming in his units, and we ended up a long way from the initial Dobeck load. Since that time Lloyd has done countless updates to his units to make them as close to perfect as possible. Everybody else including Dobeck are way behind the curve with these controllers
KevinX - If I were to use a dyno tuner rather than any type of "default map" that may be built into the tuner, would the Dobeck unit be "just as good" as Lloyds simply because the dyno tuner is going to tune based EXPLICITLY on the bike he is doing the tune for (pipes, etc)?

Or does the Llyods & PVC5 units still have some intrinsic benefit even for someone planning on having a dyno tuner further customize their set up?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry! Didn't know I was stomping on someone's parade!

But, since I've been told to not bad mouth Lloyd, I will finish by saying this --

Don't put an email link on your website if your not going to answer it.

I promise not to say anything else about anybody else to anyone else......

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
KevinX - If I were to use a dyno tuner rather than any type of "default map" that may be built into the tuner, would the Dobeck unit be "just as good" as Lloyds simply because the dyno tuner is going to tune based EXPLICITLY on the bike he is doing the tune for (pipes, etc)?

Or does the Llyods & PVC5 units still have some intrinsic benefit even for someone planning on having a dyno tuner further customize their set up?

Weather home tune or on the Dyno. There is a difference. Idle fueling, throttle influance and crossover; are all changed. So are rates of increase for each point, and a couple of other load equations for control. Getting to play with the software while helping Lloyd was a real eye opener as to how much is really going on.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Sorry! Didn't know I was stomping on someone's parade!

But, since I've been told to not bad mouth Lloyd, I will finish by saying this --

Don't put an email link on your website if your not going to answer it.

I promise not to say anything else about anybody else to anyone else......
Speak your mind man. No worries from me anyway

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Weather home tune or on the Dyno. There is a difference. Idle fueling, throttle influance and crossover; are all changed. So are rates of increase for each point, and a couple of other load equations for control. Getting to play with the software while helping Lloyd was a real eye opener as to how much is really going on.
Thanks for the details. Sounds like using one of the models with the "enhancements" may be worth the $'s. At the very least, it may make tuning easier on the Dyno guy.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Im running vfc3, takes a little trial and error to get it right w/o a dyno but its worth it. I get slight pop from my stupid right hand, a nice gurgle on slow down, mpg last check 38

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dont feel bad lloydz does have crappy customer service. they also have great parts for your bike and know whats it take to get the best out of them thumb up. with that being said him having a small shop is not a good excuse for them blowing you off. i have spent my fair share of money with them and am happy with the finale result but it is not from the help i have received from them. it is from forums like this where i get the most help. just do your research and order what you need from them just dont expect them to know what is going on with the parts you send them. just from the experience i have had with them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts