Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this engineering to make a nearly fool-proof bike, and they can't make a reliable fucking clutch cable.

This is how i shifted for 130 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
All this engineering to make a nearly fool-proof bike, and they can't make a reliable fucking clutch cable.

This is how i shifted for 130 miles.
Pretty ingenious really.

Someone posted a vid of a tech demonstrating how to lube them. It was a good video and I went out and did it after I watched it. Mine seemed fine, but a little grease certainly can't hurt any.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I lubed it regularly using a hose and a clamp just like in the video.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hydraulic conversion. Or a savuride

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I lubed it regularly using a hose and a clamp just like in the video.
What hose and clamp? From what I understand all that's needed is to grease the end pivot points at the handlebar and at the transmission. But after reading about so many broken clutch cables I bought a Sav-U-Ride inner clutch cable and keep it in my saddlebag with the appropriate wrench to tighten the end at the transmission. I thought the inner cable housing was teflon and it didn't really need any lube. Maybe I'm wrong on that???

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you grease the end pivots? Have you de-burred the area where it broke?
There werent any burrs, since it snapped cleanly right at the ball. I had greased the pivot though.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
rumblebox,

It's posts like yours that reminded me to go out to the garage just now and grease the ends of my clutch cable. I know that doesn't effect your broken cable. My hope is that your pain will remind others to grease their clutch cable ends as well.

I did it just like the AZ Victory Police video shows. Remove the end at the transmission and then it's easy to remove it at the handlebar. The grease on my ends was just starting to dry out so it looks like I need to grease them more often.

Thank You!

·
Registered
180 Posts
After buying my 08 Kingpin, I kept reading posts about the clutch cable breaking so I took mine loose and checked it. Ends looked good, appeared to have been regularly greased. Cleaned up and lubed the ends and put back together. Three hundred miles later, in heavy Houston traffic, clutch cable broke. Got back home and bought a cable stop and ordered a Sav-ur-ride. Fifteen hundred miles later, still riding on the repaired cable with the Sav-ur-ride as a back-up.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A hose and a clamp??
Put a hose over the end of the cable and secure it with a clamp. Then use pliers to squeeze the hose around the silicone spray nozzle to seal it.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
What pisses me off is Polaris knows there is a problem , But like GM deny deny deny, just hope the problem goes away. Now if they would have built a bunch of bikes between 2003-2009 all hell would have broke lose on their LOW BID QUALITY item.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Are these the original cables on your bike? If so 7 years of life from a set of cables doesn't sound too bad.

Put a hose over the end of the cable and secure it with a clamp. Then use pliers to squeeze the hose around the silicone spray nozzle to seal it.
If your replacement cables have a Teflon coating do not lube the inside of the cable housing. Lubing a Teflon cable will gum it up. Just lube the cable ends. Also inspect the cable ends for wear when lubing them.

Personally I bought the Sav ur ride and keep it in my saddle bag just in case. If I ever have to use it I will buy the hydraulic clutch kit.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
:D:D
rumblebox,

It's posts like yours that reminded me to go out to the garage just now and grease the ends of my clutch cable. I know that doesn't effect your broken cable. My hope is that your pain will remind others to grease their clutch cable ends as well.

I did it just like the AZ Victory Police video shows. Remove the end at the transmission and then it's easy to remove it at the handlebar. The grease on my ends was just starting to dry out so it looks like I need to grease them more often.

Thank You!
its funny. i had just lubed my cable ends sat morn after i had read another thread on the forum. now this one pops up. until last fall
i didnt realize you can move the clutch arm by hand to remove
the cable[if you have a clutch arm cover]. see, there is a good reason to have a victory only ez clutch. 10 mm socket is the only tool needed.---

long as your in the area might as well check the battery terminal tightness too.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
What pisses me off is Polaris knows there is a problem , But like GM deny deny deny, just hope the problem goes away. Now if they would have built a bunch of bikes between 2003-2009 all hell would have broke lose on their LOW BID QUALITY item.

Hey, you think a silly cable is bad, BMW just issued a cease riding directive for all 2014 R1200RT owners...about 8k of them. And no official recall has been commenced. Their owners are sitting on $20k paperweights. Makes carrying around a spare cable seem pretty minor in the scheme of things...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/18624/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Issues-No-Ride-Warning-for-14-R1200RT.aspx

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, you think a silly cable is bad, BMW just issued a cease riding directive for all 2014 R1200RT owners...about 8k of them. And no official recall has been commenced. Their owners are sitting on $20k paperweights. Makes carrying around a spare cable seem pretty minor in the scheme of things...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/18624/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Issues-No-Ride-Warning-for-14-R1200RT.aspx
I know it's a very minor problem compared to harley problems, but reliability is one of the main reasons i got a victory.

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
I know it's a very minor problem compared to harley problems, but reliability is one of the main reasons i got a victory.
And you've chosen the most reliable option out there. Yes, it's not perfect, but nothing is. I would replace the cable and ride happily ever after (or for another 7 years, whichever comes first). cheers

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Cables break, ropes break, brakes break, hearts break...so why is the OP getting his undies in a knot over the failure of a THING? Routine maintenance, preventative maintenance and carrying spares should be the norm here. If he gets this upset over a cable (inevitably) breaking, how's he going to act when he gets a flat tire or, Gawd forbid, a dead battery. Will that be Ma Vic's fault too? Sheesh fella, calm down...shite happens.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cables break, ropes break, brakes break, hearts break...so why is the OP getting his undies in a knot over the failure of a THING? Routine maintenance, preventative maintenance and carrying spares should be the norm here. If he gets this upset over a cable (inevitably) breaking, how's he going to act when he gets a flat tire or, Gawd forbid, a dead battery. Will that be Ma Vic's fault too? Sheesh fella, calm down...shite happens.
Well there's no need to speak in 3rd person, since I'm right here. But we're not talking about cars where a certain level of failing parts is acceptable, and we're not talking about tires that are expected to fail if you run over something you're not supposed to. We're also not talking about expendable items like batteries or brakes. If parts fail on bikes, people are more likely to die. As mentioned before, no amount of PREVENTIVE maintenance ensures reliability of these cables. And not everyone rides a bagger to carry a spare.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts