Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my last street bike when I got my XR because I just wan't riding it much and it was taking up space. For some reason I went back on that and picked up this heap of rust for a project bike. It is a 1973 Kawasaki F7 enduro. It was my father-in-laws who bought it used in 1976 and just never really rode it. It was last started in 1999 but had carb issues and wasn't worth it to him to fix. The bad side is that it was parked under his house that is always wet. It is rusted up pretty bad but with enough liquid wrench I was able to get the cables to move and put it in N to roll it on my truck. The engine was seized from but I sprayed the cylinder down last night and this morning I was able to get it to move. Going to clean the carb up tonight and make a make shift gas tank bottle to see if I can get it to fire. The tank is rusted pretty bad on the inside so that will be a whole other issue. Don't want to sink alot of money into this but it would be a cool bike to ride on the Forest Service roads near my house. Wish me luck with this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I sold my last street bike when I got my XR because I just wan't riding it much and it was taking up space. For some reason I went back on that and picked up this heap of rust for a project bike. It is a 1973 Kawasaki F7 enduro. It was my father-in-laws who bought it used in 1976 and just never really rode it. It was last started in 1999 but had carb issues and wasn't worth it to him to fix. The bad side is that it was parked under his house that is always wet. It is rusted up pretty bad but with enough liquid wrench I was able to get the cables to move and put it in N to roll it on my truck. The engine was seized from but I sprayed the cylinder down last night and this morning I was able to get it to move. Going to clean the carb up tonight and make a make shift gas tank bottle to see if I can get it to fire. The tank is rusted pretty bad on the inside so that will be a whole other issue. Don't want to sink alot of money into this but it would be a cool bike to ride on the Forest Service roads near my house. Wish me luck with this one.
Good luck!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2013/07/kawasaki-celebrates-40-years-of-motocrossers/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Boy howdy L you sure can pick 'em.

I don't imagine you need any suggestions but

1. Order another set of EZ outs, taps and inserts for after you snap off the ones you got now. Make that two new sets because you will bust your father in laws too. On second thought, don't replace his. He has it coming for his part in this project.

2. Buy mama a new deep fryer before you even start because after you get done slow cooking that mill in Marvel for a month her current one is going to be exhibit A in the divorce proceedings.

Brother, here's a thought. You might could find another one not running and then threaten it to put some of the parts from that one on it if it don't shape up.

Well, some men climb mountains. At least if you are a prideful guy this will be a lesson in humble.

I got all the faith in you L but I question the breadth you choose to apply to the term "barn find".

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Brother, here's a thought. You might could find another one not running and then threaten it to put some of the parts from that one on it if it don't shape up.
Cruel bastard! :ltr::ltr::ltr:

·
Registered
418 Posts
As much as I love old enduro bikes that one has turned yard art. Good luck but I'd never attempt that, I'd start with a new everything. If it is rubber or supposed to move it needs replaced.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Aww, a little Mother's and she'll be like new again.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't expect much from this old bike but I am going to give it a go anyway. Messed with it for 4 hours this evening testing for spark which it still has and the rest of the 3.75 hours was dealing with the carb. Took forever to get it out and I broke part of the engine casing that its cover bolts to in the process. Still going to try and get it to at least run but it will probably be heading to the scrap yard before it is all said and done. I still appreciate the advise though, no matter how honest it is.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good luck on it looks like its going to be a lot of work

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I think id rather be spending my time riding my CR.... Just saying.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't argue with that! Bought a spark plug for it today and if I can get the choke cable working like it should I am going to see if the old terd will come to life. I agree it is going to be too much trouble to really restore but I have been wanting a dual purpose bike for a while and was hoping this would be a good winter project. My plans are to get it running just for the hell of it and then probably take it apart and ebay the carb, brake and signal lights, seat, the CDI ignition and what few other parts are salvageable and take the rest to the scrap yard. Just going to take up too much time and money to even make it trail ready much less road ready. From doing searches on this thing there are alot of people who are fixing them up (ones that are much better shape than mine) and having a blast on them. Man, what was I thinking when I loaded it up in the truck!
On a side note my XR is still in the shop, rear shock came in today and hopefully will be ready tomorrow so getting back on it should help get this hopeless resto project out of my mind.

·
Registered
273 Posts
2 cycle? Just dug a 71 Yamaha DT 250 out of a buddy's shed that hasn't been started in about 15 years. Pulled the fuel line off of the tank and poured a oil fuel mix in it and it started and actually rode it up the street and around the block.

·
Registered
273 Posts
2 cycle? Just dug a 71 Yamaha DT 250 out of a buddy's shed that hasn't been started in about 15 years. Pulled the fuel line off of the tank and poured a oil fuel mix in it and it started and actually rode it up the street and around the block.
Working on a 79 kz 750 for the one nephew and just finished a 97 Suzuki marauder 800 for the other nephew. Finding the 79 a little more challenging.

My old stock xc mirrors fit the marauder.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Yeah, it is a 2 cycle with a seperate oil tank for the mix but when I pulled the carb cover off I noticed one of the oil lines was broke off where it goes into the engine. Those are some nice bikes you are working on and they look like they were much better taken care of than the one I hauled home. If it were not the bike sitting in a wet dirt floor under a house for so long I think it would have been a good candidate to restore but those years of moisture took its tole on it. Suprisingly the seat is in great shape along with the carb and the oil tank and tranny (both full of oil so that helped) and all the light housings but everything else is pretty bad. I am pretty sure the engine is OK as well but not 100%, will find out in a few days when I construct a make shift plastic bottle tank for fuel mix.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its a shame that bike is so rusty-its kinda cool. If you do part it the oil tank and pump may bring a decent $. My 71 dt 250 is missing its pump and tank. The pump I can get used for maybe $80 but the oil tank is about non existant. I think I seen one for 200 on ebay. It would be cool to see your bike run down the road. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it a KE-175, or am I seeing something different?

Pretty cool project though. My 1st bike EVER was a KE-100, then I had 2 of the 175s. They are a fun bike, but all 3 met the exact same demise. Piston skirt cracked off, got chewed up in the bottom end. The 175s had a fiber rotary valve that also didn't survive. Too bad they all got hauled to the junk yard, or i'd offer them up as parts sacrifices.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you are into fixing her up theres a bike salvage yard near me that has some older stuff in it. Knestrick cycle 724 783 7295.. He's in Dayton PA. I seen a good bit of 70's stuff when I was there a few weeks ago getting wheels for the 79 kz 750.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spent about half a day Friday on the rust heap mainly cleaning out the carb really well and taking out the throttle and clutch cables and lubing and reinstalling. Put it all back together with a new plug and made a make shift water bottle gas tank and started cranking. Tried to fire but no dice. Went to wallyworld and got a bottle of starter fluid and low and behold she fired right up! I don't have any kind of repair manual for specs but I fiddled with the carb till she started purring like a kitten! Rode it in first gear but couldn't get in second so that is a whole new problem but I may just keep this rust bucket around a little while longer and fiddle with it some more this winter. Got my XR back yesterday with a new rear shock so that is where most of my free time will be (till deer/turkey season anyway).

·
Registered
273 Posts
Spent about half a day Friday on the rust heap mainly cleaning out the carb really well and taking out the throttle and clutch cables and lubing and reinstalling. Put it all back together with a new plug and made a make shift water bottle gas tank and started cranking. Tried to fire but no dice. Went to wallyworld and got a bottle of starter fluid and low and behold she fired right up! I don't have any kind of repair manual for specs but I fiddled with the carb till she started purring like a kitten! Rode it in first gear but couldn't get in second so that is a whole new problem but I may just keep this rust bucket around a little while longer and fiddle with it some more this winter. Got my XR back yesterday with a new rear shock so that is where most of my free time will be (till deer/turkey season anyway).
i was at the bike junkyard yesterday and I think I seen the same bike there. Should of took a pic.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I did a restoration of a 73 F-11 that I found with a "FREE" sign on it leaning up against a post at the end of a farm house driveway. Had a lot a fun tracking down some of the small bits and ended up buying a parts bike for a better engine. My wife & daughter both learned to ride on it and then sold it for $500 and made a small profit. It's a worthy project-I've done several Japanese vintage restorations and if you can find a motorcycle junkyard you'll find most the bikes are low mileage and were neglected more than anything. Colorado is a great place for old cars/bikes-more sunburn than rust. Lots of new old stock parts out there on Ebay & carb kits & cables available through good old JC Whitney. The expensive stuff-if you want to take it that far-are the original decal kits. Do it

1 - 20 of 42 Posts