Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up two action cameras to make vids and vlogs that look halfway decent. I mostly want to record because of all the rides and touring I've done I have very little to remember them by, figure if I have the vid cams on-board I'll use them ;) I want to make the videos for me but also enjoyable to watch for anyone else interested.
I purchased a Sena Prism Tube(which the test vids were made on) for the helmet vlogging portion and a Yi Lite for the wide view non-voiced and off the bike stuff. I plan to start posting more once the riding season starts. Before then I'm going to do an intro vid, grab some footage at the up coming Springfield Motorcycle Show on the 20th of this month and once we get decent enough weather day I'm going to roll the XC out of the shed for a walk around and discuss where it is and how it got there.
This is the channel I started for these vids:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpHkUFif8YZZbxIv4YaU3tg

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cam looks great Pain I subscribed to your channel looking forward to your spring rides!!

Come ON Spring!!

Rob

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cam looks great Pain I subscribed to your channel looking forward to your spring rides!!

Come ON Spring!!
Thx Rob...and I couldn't agree more. Seemed like last year went by in flash but this winter is just dragging ass :mad:

·
Registered
218 Posts
I subscribed too. Been thinking about doing something like this too.. but I'll wait and see how yours turns out. :)

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I have 8mm movies I took of my kids and travels going back to the early 60s. I have VHS cassettes of same. Ditto a smaller tape format; discs, memory cards and albums chocked full of photos. I hardly ever view them. I have ridden the Alps, Hawaii, the east and west coasts and the land in between and find my best "videos" are the ones in my mind and not in a drawer.
When watching others' videos, the ones that hold my attention have crisp editing, that is, takes are no longer than 5 seconds unless there is interesting content being shown. But just leaving the camera on for miles and posting that puts me, and others to sleep. Put in amped up rock music for a sound track and I'm outa here. The finest riding soundtrack I ever heard was the Celtic Woman singing LaMer (Beyond the Sea). The best version of that song, I think. I hear melody like that (in my head) when I'm riding.
Celtic Woman || Beyond The Sea - Celtic Woman (Full songs) by song of the sea - Dailymotion
I'll check out your vids PaiN and see if I stay awake. :) Just my 2 cents...carry on.

·
12,983 Posts
As long as you have a long wait you could mount it on the car or even the snowblower. Just to get a better understanding of focus and view.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As long as you have a long wait you could mount it on the car or even the snowblower. Just to get a better understanding of focus and view.
Good Luck
I've been playing with the setups and making vids around the house. I've also been practicing on Windows Movie Maker(made up an intro for my vids already thumb up ) a little post production editing goes a long way toward making vids enjoyable to watch. I've come up with format I'm going to use where I vlog introducing the area\ route I'll be riding then switch over to the Yi Lite camera for the actual ride with some appropriate music....

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Subscribed... looking forward to some videos......dance 1dance 1

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you all that subscribed.....I feel like I better start getting some content out. ...lol :grin

I have 8mm movies I took of my kids and travels going back to the early 60s. I have VHS cassettes of same. Ditto a smaller tape format; discs, memory cards and albums chocked full of photos. I hardly ever view them. I have ridden the Alps, Hawaii, the east and west coasts and the land in between and find my best "videos" are the ones in my mind and not in a drawer.
When watching others' videos, the ones that hold my attention have crisp editing, that is, takes are no longer than 5 seconds unless there is interesting content being shown. But just leaving the camera on for miles and posting that puts me, and others to sleep. Put in amped up rock music for a sound track and I'm outa here. The finest riding soundtrack I ever heard was the Celtic Woman singing LaMer (Beyond the Sea). The best version of that song, I think. I hear melody like that (in my head) when I'm riding.
Celtic Woman || Beyond The Sea - Celtic Woman (Full songs) by song of the sea - Dailymotion
I'll check out your vids PaiN and see if I stay awake. :) Just my 2 cents...carry on.
I've seen some really bad vlogs on YouTube :rolleyes: I'm sure there will be a "learning curve" but I hope to make vids I like and want to watch to capture a good record of the places I've gone and people I go with....which I hardly ever do now.
I just don't think you're going to like my music @RICZ ...

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I just don't think you're going to like my music @RICZ ...
Pressing FN&ESC turns off the speakers. If I don't like your tunes (not Barry Manilow?) it will be like watching the silent movies of my youth. :grin

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your videos. That said keep in mind that you only have so much bandwidth between your ears and don't want to slow your reaction time too much by concentrating too hard on another visual task while riding. You'll have to work out how much distraction your comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking forward to seeing your videos. That said keep in mind that you only have so much bandwidth between your ears and don't want to slow your reaction time too much by concentrating too hard on another visual task while riding. You'll have to work out how much distraction your comfortable with.
I'm not making vids to talk about my life, beliefs, politics or anything like that... Its all about motorcycling, my aim is to record the great local and touring rides I'll do along with the friends I do them with. I'm planning to keep chatter to a minimum while on the bike, if I'm jawing away I probably won't be enjoying my riding and you're right, I'm sure there is some level of distraction.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I'm not making vids to talk about my life, beliefs, politics or anything like that... Its all about motorcycling, my aim is to record the great local and touring rides I'll do along with the friends I do them with. I'm planning to keep chatter to a minimum while on the bike, if I'm jawing away I probably won't be enjoying my riding and you're right, I'm sure there is some level of distraction.

I am sure the content will be great, I'm really looking forward to watching it. Not trying to be negative about it.

The bandwidth thing directly effects your reaction time.

When your brain believes your suddenly threatened with extinction it reacts by initiating physical movement it deems will save you in parallel to bringing the event to consciousness in your mind.
Your body is already in motion by the time you realize any part of what is happening or the situation you are in.
Your brain does not wait to ask your permission to move your body, it acts instantly from a subconscious level at the same time it is trying to bring you on board to what it is doing.

It helps your reaction time, the time it takes to get on board with the action your body has initiated, if you are waiting to respond to such an event not concentrating on something else. It also raises the chance of completing a successful evasive maneuver if you are on board mentally with what you are already doing physically as early as possible. You can see where this really ties into riding.

If your chair breaks unexpectedly you mostly land on your feet or give it a darn good try. You might someday find, as many have, that you jumped backwards out of a crosswalk only then to realize that you had narrowly avoided being run down by a vehicle you never saw till it had already passed where you were. These are common examples of what I am talking about. It's not good luck, it's how your wired.

Just brain trivia to be aware of.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Joe_ There is Japanese concept known as "mushin" meaning "no mind", which is basically; reacting without thinking about reacting. Mushin is typically a martial arts concept thought to require much training but I believe every person is capable of this, a trained person is just more likely to have a more correct or effective mushin reaction.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
@Joe_ There is Japanese concept known as "mushin" meaning "no mind", which is basically; reacting without thinking about reacting. Mushin is typically a martial arts concept thought to require much training but I believe every person is capable of this, a trained person is just more likely to have a more correct or effective mushin reaction.
Didn't know that. Looks like the concept of mushin has being born out by modern scientific brain research.
What I wrote above is my understanding of what I believe that I recently read in a book named "Anxious" by Joseph LeDoux, a neuroscientist and researcher. Apparently it has been well documented by brain research in the near past though the information has not made the transition from brain research to psychology yet, part of the reason for the book. I am slowly re reading the book again because it contained so much counter intuitive and fascinating information about how we respond to threats, process fear and also anxiety.

I would say the Japanese unsurprisingly as well as you have it right based on what you wrote. If you trained hard to use this natural response it could make a huge difference in the outcome when it occurred in real life and you are right that this is available to everyone. I'm not sure how well the knowledge of what happens can be incorporated in riding but I think it is relevant at some level and am rethinking my own mental processes while riding because of that.

One last thing from that book that might interest you, when you do observe your brain moving your body without your conscious initiation your brain responds by fabricate a story to make sense of the action you observed.
It just lies. They know this from research done on epileptic patients that have had the connection between both sides of the brain severed trying to control their chronic epilepsy. Probably why we think we are always in complete conscious control of our bodies. Science has proved though that we aren't. I believe that isn't necessarily a bad thing since it can heighten our response time, maybe.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Here's us on the Vegas riding the great section Woodenbong to the border gate.
Wind noise is a bastard but the music muffles it a little.
https://youtu.be/-3OX1anWn7I

Watching this makes my heart ache to get back on my Vegas again!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I like your gloves MBX ;)
Pretty cool hey! Riggers gloves!
Real leather , comfy, only $6 a pair!
Highly visible for the hand signals I sometimes use to supplement indicators
Gets the point across to car drivers exactly where Im going!
Toldya Victory riders are different.
Dare to be different.
VICTORY! WE RIDE!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts