Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to buy a full Madstad setup with the brackets and an 11" dark gray windshield, but I couldn't find a deal on the 11", Madstad has a sale on demo 9" and 13" Vic setups but none for the 11" So I was back & forth on trying one of the other sizes or paying full price for the 11" :(
Until this morning when @LILMAGS500 made the suggestion that I just get the brackets and use them with my windshield which is a 12" Gustafsson Eurofilp...perfect :) Hopefully I'll have them soon, then I can report back.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Good luck. I think you're gonna dig it.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck. I think you're gonna dig it.
Me too, I haven't read a bad thing about the Madstad....but you were the motivating force.
The under tank buffeting is pretty well under control, but I still get some over the shield at higher highway speeds and I have lot of wind noise. On the other hand, when I'm off the highway I wouldn't mind more wind in my face. I have to say it, last Sunday after riding the Indians with the adjustable wind shields I really liked the ability to have that adjustment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Love my Madstad brackets and shield. Being able to adjust for back roads and highway is well worth it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
I plan to do this as well. I installed the billet ace fork deflector as well. In my research I found that you are NOT supposed to use a flip windshield with the Madstad brackets.

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
350 Posts
Madstad works like magic.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
LOL...guess I'm the only guy that did not care for them...instead I went with the Cee Bailey's CUSTOM height windshield. Yes, I have owned both. I was very disappointed in both the application of the Madstad Brackets/Windshield as well as the aesthetics. In other words...it looked like crap, and performed "marginally" better FOR ME. Others I am sure are very pleased, I just wanted to point out that not everyone was happy with it...I now have about 40,000 miles on this single Cee Bailey's Custom height windshield.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Funny, I have been running a tall Cee dragon and I hate the look of it. Maybe the flip moves the pocket of protection too far forward when angled on the bracket?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have the original design at 14". Love it. I have had 4 different shields on this bike in 5 years and this is by far the best. The only change I will do on the next shield is that I will get one without the vent (cutout) at the bottom. Next time it will be filled in...

·
Premium Member
13,655 Posts
Interesting. I wonder why...
The short answer is they weren't designed to work with a flip shield and the flip isn't needed anyway when you have so many ways to adjust it.

Because of this adjustability the shield can be set up to just barely look over it. The flip at the top of a shield causes a thick line of blurred vision. Sure, one can get used to it or ignore it, but why when the shield can simply be adjusted. I'm sure they don't recommend it but I have been known to adjust mine on the fly while moving. Obviously at higher speeds it's easier to adjust it back rather than forward against the wind.

On one road trip I had a pretty good cross wind until the route I was taking turned me into the wind. I noticed my gas mileage drop 10 mpg from having my shield straight up so I just laid it back to the stops and continued on gaining back about 6 mpg. Not a big deal in the big picture but it did show me what a difference that shield angle can make in a head wind and to think about stopping for gas sooner rather than later.

As an early adopter of the Madstad brackets; I swear by them and the second gen is so much cleaner than the first. Do they look kinda different at first? Yep but not bad; at least not to my eye and any aesthetic loss is far trumped by their functionality.

JMHO, YMMV, FWIW.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The buffeting on these bikes is their least redeeming "feature." Around May I take my fork lowers off cause I like the breeze in my crotch. And then, the head wobbles return. I am really hoping the added ace billet thingy is doing more then it seems.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The buffeting on these bikes is their least redeeming "feature." Around May I take my fork lowers off cause I like the breeze in my crotch. And then, the head wobbles return. I am really hoping the added ace billet thingy is doing more then it seems.
Amen to that.. I still remember the first time I got this bike on the highway for an extended period :crzy: holy crap! and it was only 55mi up rt93 in NH at 75-80mph, I never experienced head buffeting like that on any bike before. I had the dealer put on a Flair windshield when I bought the bike and that's all I had up front....I was not comfortable and it was not fun :mad: in fact I had to hold my glasses on my face, the wind was coming up so hard from the tank it was pulling them off.
I have the bike in a much better state now and the Bad Ace deflector seems to be doing a great job. If I have any issues with the BA triple tree deflector I have a set of BA Tank Wings that I can attach to the cheese wedges(my idea...see the pic below). These little things do a great job of killing the buffeting and cause no heat build up. I just went to the triple tree deflector for aesthetics, didn't want those wings sticking out if another solution worked just as well. I know..its vanity LOL
As for the Madstad....might as well try to make things better and I love having adjust-ability on a motorcycle...We ride in so many different conditions one setup definitely does not fit all. I like being easily change things as conditions or ride types change. ...And that adjustable windshield on those Indians was a very cool thing :D thumb up

This is how I had the Tank Wings mounted

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm... very interesting. Have you found your little foils do the same thing as the bad ace? Does the Indian have buffeting?
The wings do a good job, but I think the deflector does a little better. The demo route sucked for the Indian demo ride....there was no highway speed areas(I barely got out of 3rd) so I can't comment on the buffeting, I've not heard or read any complaints about it from Indian owners through.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Me too, I haven't read a bad thing about the Madstad....but you were the motivating force.
The under tank buffeting is pretty well under control, but I still get some over the shield at higher highway speeds and I have lot of wind noise. On the other hand, when I'm off the highway I wouldn't mind more wind in my face. I have to say it, last Sunday after riding the Indians with the adjustable wind shields I really liked the ability to have that adjustment.
love my Madstad windshield

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What @BBob said, re not looking through curved portion, nor is it necessary.

I had a KlockWerks Flare (not Vic Flip) for a season, which has a curved lip on top. I thought it was very good ... but only for my height/torso/inseam (I'm 5'9", 30" inseam). Shorter folks would be too close to looking through the curved portion, and taller folks -- my buddy Ken rode my bike for a while -- would get buffeting.

Fine for me, but just for the heck of it, and to be able to vary the flow to the pillion, I bought the Madstad brackets and 11" shield the next year. I find it slightly better in general, and of course adjustable for special occasions (rain, extra cold, windy day, passenger, etc.).

Stuff is pretty cheap. Mike, I bet you spent way more on exhaust tips and stuff like that over the years.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What @BBob said, re not looking through curved portion, nor is it necessary.

I had a KlockWerks Flare (not Vic Flip) for a season, which has a curved lip on top. I thought it was very good ... but only for my height/torso/inseam (I'm 5'9", 30" inseam). Shorter folks would be too close to looking through the curved portion, and taller folks -- my buddy Ken rode my bike for a while -- would get buffeting.

Fine for me, but just for the heck of it, and to be able to vary the flow to the pillion, I bought the Madstad brackets and 11" shield the next year. I find it slightly better in general, and of course adjustable for special occasions (rain, extra cold, windy day, passenger, etc.).

Stuff is pretty cheap. Mike, I bet you spent way more on exhaust tips and stuff like that over the years.
I have a 12" Gustafsson, as it sits now I see well over it so I have plenty of leeway for the movement on the Madstad brackets. If I don't like it or it obstructs my vision my plan is to purchase the 11" Madstad windshield(in dark grey)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How well would the madstad brackets work with the stock shield?
Better than the stock shield without the Madstad brackets...... :wink

1 - 20 of 74 Posts