41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Pretty sure I'm going to be pointing myself in the direction of the Tennessee/N.Carolina border for my solo ride vacation during the 1st week of July

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Pretty sure I'm going to be pointing myself in the direction of the Tennessee/N.Carolina border for my solo ride vacation during the 1st week of July
Hey, have fun, Mike!

Vacationing in the area myself, at Fontana Village, a couple of weeks later than you. Dot, her daughter, and grandkids will be going down in a minivan, and I'm riding down a couple days earlier.

If you feel like studying up before hand: https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Appalachians-3rd/dp/0760352682 . I have a much older edition.

Here's the Asheville daughter, in 2005, when she lived in Sylva, NC. Preggers then, and we did a father/daughter short road trip (by car) to Maggie Valley:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bill, we took a ride down to Sylva NC a couple of weekends ago to attend the town festival. What a cool little town, and we were able to stretch out the ride there to 2 hours, 90 minutes coming back with the threat of rain.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Madstad did manage to get my order out this time, I thought they might "provide good customer service recovery" and maybe upgrade my shipping or some such action after loosing my 1st order, but nope :( They shipped UPS Ground so I won't expect any early delivery miracles...I should have the parts by early next week.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, we took a ride down to Sylva NC a couple of weekends ago to attend the town festival. What a cool little town, and we were able to stretch out the ride there to 2 hours, 90 minutes coming back with the threat of rain.
Yes, it's a very pleasant area, for residing and riding (I rode down there for some visits, in my Valkyrie days). That daughter and her husband lived around there for two+ years, when they were going to Western Carolina U (Cullowhee). After they graduated, they moved to Asheville.

Glad you're having fun down south!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Me and my Pops got the Madstad brackets installed and I test drove the two windshields I had (Gustafsson 12" Euroflip / Madstad 9" full cut). First I have to say, I can hardly believe the difference. The 9" in its lowest position is better than the 12" in the traditional mount, there is zero buffeting. In the full up I can see well over the windshield and up to 90mph its smooth as glass. I love this set up :D The Gustafsson also works great on the brackets but even in the lowest position its higher than in the regular mount, when full up its completely in my line of site, this doesn't work because it has an extra dark tint and a flip. It also a unanimous decision(around here) that the 9" shield looks better than the 12" shield on the bike.

9" Madstad

12" Gustafsson

·
Registered
75 Posts
I told you you would love it!

·
12,968 Posts
PaiN
I don't remember do you have a Billet Ace wind deflector or something ell.

Rides are fun when things work for us good for you

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Madstad Height Change?

This is interesting, re the height.

I bought my Madstad windshield and brackets in April 2013, about a year after I bought my XCT. At the time, I'm sure that Madstad recommended different height ranges for the XCs. (Naturally, I had long before that removed the XCT's special brackets for their extra-tall stock windshield, which, for windshield purposes, made my XCT an XC, and I had a KlockWerks Flare on.)

I had corresponded with Mark Stadnyk -- the co. head and chief engineer -- even before that, via email, with some questions. This included going over my height and "look-over" requirement.

I'm 5'9" tall, with a 29-30" inseam, which makes me fairly normal size (okay, yeah, I'm overweight, but that's not relevant here). That is, I don't think I have a particularly short or particularly long torso.

Anyway, I ordered -- four years ago -- the 11" Madstad windshield. And I look over it just fine. I will admit/state/note that most of the time I keep the shield in its lowest, laid-back, state, i.e., what I think is most aerodynamic. I raise it rarely, and may put it more towards the vertical, maybe when it's raining, or maybe with my wife out back.

However, I just looked at Madstad's XC page -- https://madstad.com/collections/victory/products/victory-cross-country-2010 -- and they have guidelines that must have changed sometime in the last four years. They now read:

5'8" to 5'10" 9"
5'11" to 6'1" 11"
6'2" and taller 13"

The shield looks the same (I have what they call the "standard," i.e., with the opening in the bottom), and the brackets look the same, so I guess what's changed is rider experience and feedback to Madstad. That's my guess, regarding why they seem to have changed the shield vs. height recommendations.

I've ridden with PaiN, and I'm definitely a runt compared to him. So, maybe it's not all that critical. If I were buying a Madstad system -- brackets and shield -- I'd drop them an email, and ask for their comments on this change.

Here are a few pics -- the windshield, and then a couple of me on the bike. One note: I'm sitting on beads, which raises me up about a half of an inch (that's what she said), and also wearing overpants:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
This is interesting, re the height.

Anyway, I ordered -- four years ago -- the 11" Madstad windshield. And I look over it just fine. I will admit/state/note that most of the time I keep the shield in its lowest, laid-back, state, i.e., what I think is most aerodynamic. I raise it rarely, and may put it more towards the vertical, maybe when it's raining, or maybe with my wife out back.
I believe the Drag Specialties seat I have is lower than the stock seat and you sit on those beads, which makes you higher in the seat than me .....I'm debating with myself on ordering an 11" to try out. The 9'' is very low in the full down position, if I put an 11" on I would still be seeing well over it. Whatever the case, the 9" works, so I'll probably hold tight for the next few weeks until I can really start riding again to give this 9" a good shake down.
btw: All the testing I did today was with the windshield at the recommended 60 degree angle

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the 11 inch Madstad set in the lowest and most laid back position. I can see well over the top in this position. Could probably raise an inch or more and tilt forward a bit and still see over the top. For reference; stock seat - 5'10" w/ 30" inseam - proportionately configured.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Have MadStad's 13-inch smoke-colored Victory-original-shaped shield. I am 6'1" tall, with a 34-inch inseam. I look through, over or right though the line, depending entirely on slouching or sitting up straight. All positions work for me. Looking through the line (the top edge of the shield) doesn't bother me because I have gotten used to it and the optics of this shield are good.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I'm 6'1" and I'm using the 13" clear. Perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hmm.....Maybe I'm 5'-11 3/4" :nerd

·
Registered
316 Posts
I only want to buy a shield once... they are too expensive to keep replacing for me. That being said is the Madstad bracket and screen setup the best way to go over stock brackets and Vstream or anything and is the Madstad shield a straight cut at the bottom anymore rather than the notch cutout?

I'm 6'2" and although it says I should use a 13" screen I'm afraid that I will think that is just too big and odd looking so considering the 11". I won't complain about riding with the stock shield but man when I lean down and get in that clean air pocket where everything is calm and I can hear the radio I see what I'm missing and want more of that.

I am planning on learning from Pain's Pain and getting the fork deflector also along with the shield.
I drool over getting hard lowers too so I will have to get me a pair of those some time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I only want to buy a shield once... they are too expensive to keep replacing for me. That being said is the Madstad bracket and screen setup the best way to go over stock brackets and Vstream or anything and is the Madstad shield a straight cut at the bottom anymore rather than the notch cutout?

I'm 6'2" and although it says I should use a 13" screen I'm afraid that I will think that is just too big and odd looking so considering the 11". I won't complain about riding with the stock shield but man when I lean down and get in that clean air pocket where everything is calm and I can hear the radio I see what I'm missing and want more of that.

I am planning on learning from Pain's Pain and getting the fork deflector also along with the shield.
I drool over getting hard lowers too so I will have to get me a pair of those some time.
I am 6'2" and was going to try the 11" based on folks experiences.

:smile I also have a 2015 Challenger Scat Pack :smile

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

Yes Madstad is the best way to go...and at 6'2", based on my experience with the 9" at 6' tall, I'm sure the 11" windshield will work fine for you.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts