Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I just finished coordinating a few days off in April. We have to make a stop in Maryland, then we are headed west to W. VA. We'll have two+ solid days to kill in the area. I'm going to be putting a route together this weekend. Anyone familiar with the area have suggestions for good MC roads or places we shouldn't miss? thx

·
Registered
34 Posts
What part of WV are you willing to travel to? The Greenbrier bunker tour in White Sulphur Springs is very cool but you have to make reservations in advance. And there are some decent roads in the New River Gorge area but both of those are in the westernish part of the state.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have ridden on a number of roads in WV but concentrated in four areas which I describe below along with one route that I have not been on but have heard about. First is in an around Welch, WV in the southern part of the state. I attend a Honda VTX group ride on a weekend there each summer. There are tons of fantastic roads in this area but they are small unknown roads which would be hard for a nonresident to find. Fortunately for us, we are guided each ride by a local resident who knows all of these roads. One good motorcycle road that nonresidents could find is US52 from Williamson, WV to Bluefield, WV.

Second is on tiny road over and down/up the "grand canyon of the east". The official name is the New River Gorge. Ride over the bridge. Go to the visitor center. Go to the scenic overlook. Then ride down to the bottom of the gorge and back up the other side on the narrow switchback road. Watch for sand in the corners of the switchbacks.

Third is US50 from Parkersburg, WV all the way to Winchester, VA (including a short length in MD) but especially the portion from Grafton, WV to Winchester, VA is a good road. It is not a great switchback road ala the Dragon or southern WV backroads but it has lots of sweeping turns that are fun at 50-60 mph.

There are lots of good roads in the area around White Sulphur Springs, WV. In particular (although mostly in VA), VA311 from I64 to Paint Bank, VA and then continuing into Roanoke, VA is great.

Lastly, US33 from Elkins, WV thru Seneca Rocks and then on to Harrisonburg, VA is a very famous motorcycle road. I have not been on it but will be this June.

Have fun on the ride and let us know what you find to ride on.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm willing to travel to any part of the state and hope to hit most of it. I just don't want to waste time riding in bad areas :wink
I'll take all those suggestions into consideration when I start putting something together this weekend. Thanks again.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Don't wander in between duelin' banjos. :grin

Beautiful country. Love riding out there.

Reactions: SubDude

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I stayed in Staunton VA one year and rode in WV for 5 days. I really liked county road 250 going to Monterey. We also swung by Green Bank and toured the electron telescope thing. Probably one of my favorite trips.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
+1 Highway 50--yee haw! :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Google " Back of the Dragon". I've rode it and it was good. I think it is hwy 16, but can't remember for sure and don't have a map nearby.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Plans changes a little, Day 1 we are leaving early making our stop in Ellicott City, Maryland and will finish up in Fort Royal, VA. From there the fun really starts we'll pick up the Skyline Dr.(have to say I've done it) probably down to Staunton, VA and on into W.Va. There we will start picking up some of the routes you all suggested, I'll be doing that plan through out today......Then counting the minutes until I can get going on this trip...only a month to wait :crzy:

·
Registered
21 Posts
WV Riding

I am in Ellicott City so if you need assistance let me know.

I am planning a ride this year in VA, TN & WV area.

Last year we rode along Skyline Drive on our way to the Tail of the Dragon, we had a nice ride along the way to break up some of the highway miles.

This year we plan to ride 340 South to Waynesboro and pickup the Blue Ridge Parkway to Roanoke, VA. We plan to take the BRP down to Asheville, NC getting off to ride the Devil's Whip in TN. Then heading to Wheels thru Time museum.

Coming back we plan to ride in WV doing the Back of the Dragon and working our way up to RT 50 and then heading east. I have heard nothing but good things about the routes (BRP, Devils Whip, Back of the Dragon) so we are excited to ride. We have 4 days planned on the trip.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On a 9 day, 10 state 2500 mile trip a few years ago, me and two friends rode the full length of southbound Skyline Drive. I cannot emphasize enough how TERRIBLE this was. The scenery is okay at best and only in a few spots. Most of the time is spent in woods with no view. The worst part is the 35 mph speed limit for about 100 miles which is interminably slow and the cars all going this speed or slower and slowing or even stopping when the slightest sign of wildlife is seen make it much worse. We rode it on a weekday in the summer so you may have less traffic in the spring. I don't know. At the southern end of Skyline, we spent the night at a little dive hotel, ate pizza, drank beer, and continued the next day on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). All three of us hated Skyline but loved the BRP. We thought the speed limit on the BRP (45 mph) but you can go 50-55 mph easily was much better and the road curves on the BRP were more fun. We scraped pegs multiple times at 50-60 mph. The views from the BRP are also MUCH better. So my advice is to skip Skyline completely. Bust south on the highway, pick up the BRP, ride it south to Roanoke, and then take any of the awesome roads north and northwest into southern WV.

Advice is like a$$holes... Everyone has one and most of them stink so no offense whatsoever if you ignore or if someone disagrees with my advice. Have fun and ride safe. Post about your trip as you go or when you get back.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've heard great things about "Back of the Dragon" from friends who are coming to Welch, WV from the south (NC, TN, VA, SC, etc.) for an annual event each July. Back of the Dragon is not in WV. It is Rt. 16 from roughly Tazewell, VA to Marion, VA and lies southwest of Bluefield, WV and due south of Welch, WV. It comes highly recommended but is also a little further away than some of the routes being discussed in WV.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Vinish, I've heard Skyline can be a bitch sometimes from others besides you. Maybe I'll look for an alternate route south.... or have a plan to get off Skyline if we hit it at a bad time.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The planning is going well....
I talked with my buddy, it is off-season and we are going to leave Fort Royal very early in the AM. So Skyline is a go(I did plan an alternate in case its a mess). Plan is to follow the mountains( down to Marion, VA, stay there overnight and attack "Back of the Dragon" first thing in the AM. From there we'll head north on W.VA.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
From the southern end of Skyline, consider riding the BRP southwest as far as you want to take it - for example, to Fancy Gap, VA. Then west to Marion on some other road/highway and north up the Back of the Dragon and then on to WV.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
A buddy and I just finished coordinating a few days off in April. We have to make a stop in Maryland, then we are headed west to W. VA. We'll have two+ solid days to kill in the area. I'm going to be putting a route together this weekend. Anyone familiar with the area have suggestions for good MC roads or places we shouldn't miss? thx
Suggestions.....hmmmm.....take the long road.
I don't know the area but I always just follow my front wheel:smile

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
From the southern end of Skyline, consider riding the BRP southwest as far as you want to take it - for example, to Fancy Gap, VA. Then west to Marion on some other road/highway and north up the Back of the Dragon and then on to WV.

G'day,

Vinish
You're right!....I mapped staying on the BRP south until rt58 west to rt71 to rt81 into Marion. That gives about 8.5 hours of ride time(Fort Royal to Marion), not that much different from the route I picked getting off Skyline before the BRP. I've been looking at these roads for years, I might as well take this opportunity to ride them :)

Suggestions.....hmmmm.....take the long road.
I don't know the area but I always just follow my front wheel:smile
That's because you only have that little island where you live to run
around on....LOL

·
Registered
42 Posts
My wife and I just put the finishing touches on the plan for our WV ride in June. Many of these suggestions look familiar. We are staying 2 days in Elkins and exploring out of there (Seneca Rocks Rt. 33, Smokehole Caverns, Blackwater Falls, Cass, radio telescope, Spruce Knob, etc.)

The we are heading south to Beckley and New River area. We have 3 days down there to explore. Don't have as much planned, know no of winging it in the southern part. I look forward to reading about your ride. Maybe we can incorporate some of your roads.

Stay safe and have fun!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 40 Posts