Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of making a move on a Crosstour!!! Has anyone make the move from a Goldwing to a Cross Tour. Also considering the Vision once again??? Any input will be greatly appreciate!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Tough decision for sure. Almost all I've talked to that made the move are very happy. There's nothing like the sound of a big V-Twin taking it easy down the highway..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Have you taken a demo ride? The XCT and Vision are a little different from each other and both different from the Honda.
You owe it to yourself to make a qualified decision. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Apples--oranges--peaches. Neither is a Wing. I miss the drive train of the wing. I miss the security on the Wing, although I could pay more and get the reverse and fork locks.
The ride, handling, road manners, and comfort go to Vic.

You ride and then decide. Probably not a wrong answer, all 3 are great bikes.

Cheers

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went from a Wing to the Cross Country Tour. I didn't even demo the Victory. I liked the Wing for the riding I did but it was time to move on and try something different and I am very glad I went Victory XCT. Try the XCT and decide for yourself. It all depends on how you want to ride. One thing I liked on the Victory over the Wing is that all the switches on the Wing were mechanical and were prone to not working if overused or underused. Just the nature of the beast with mechanical switches. I also like the sterio setup and display on the Victory. But , take one out and give it a try, only you will know what you like.

Jim

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have never had the opportunity to ride a Goldwing. I have ridden the Vision and obviously own a XCountry. I will tell you that the vision so far has been the best bike I have ever ridden. The handeling and ride are in a class all by itself. Wind protection is superb like I am sure the Wing is. The Wings seating position doesnt suit me at all.

I was always attracted to the Vision. I really liked the looks of the Vision 8-Ball too but it was too stripped of Vision extras only reason I dont own one is because of the looks of the XC and the option of my removable trunk. The styling of the trunk on the Vision is the only thing I just cant seem to get past. You just gotta ride them all before you decide. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
There is a thread started Jan. 16 on another Victory Cross Country forum on that very topic; 30+ replies, most of them very informative. Not sure I'm allowed to name names and post links to other forums here, so PM me if you can't find it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never had the opportunity to ride a Goldwing. I have ridden the Vision and obviously own a XCountry. I will tell you that the vision so far has been the best bike I have ever ridden. The handeling and ride are in a class all by itself. Wind protection is superb like I am sure the Wing is. The Wings seating position doesnt suit me at all.

I was always attracted to the Vision. I really liked the looks of the Vision 8-Ball too but it was too stripped of Vision extras only reason I dont own one is because of the looks of the XC and the option of my removable trunk. The styling of the trunk on the Vision is the only thing I just cant seem to get past. You just gotta ride them all before you decide.

Ryan

I am going to test ride a XCountry Demo in about 3 weeks weather permitting. The salesman suggested that I may like the Vision handling & ride better since I am coming off the Goldwing. Also the Vision has a fixed fairing I may feel more comfortable since I have shoulder issues. At times I like the looks of the Vision but the top case when mounted throws the look of the bike. I know the case can come off. Really undecided. When sitting on both bikes I feel I sit in the bike rather than on top of the bike like the Goldwing. Something that I really don't like about the Goldwing.

·
13,188 Posts
Thinking of making a move on a Crosstour!!! Has anyone make the move from a Goldwing to a Cross Tour. Also considering the Vision once again??? Any input will be greatly appreciate!!!
You not saying where you live so don't know if you can test ride now.
Had a new harley and test road five visions and one cross country. After the fifth vision I couldn't buy one fast enough.

Down side not many after market parts but there getting more each month. Replacement vic parts have a good 90% mark up an most of us change our owen oil and not using there filter but using Wix and we think vic buys the filter from Wix.

Guys with cross country complain about the wind they for get there on a motorcycle not in a car

·
Registered
96 Posts
Went from an 08 GL1800 to a XCT. Yes, I do miss somethings on the wing but, the XCT is a lot more comfortable. Plus the XCT came standard with options that the Wing should have came with. For example 3 12v accessory plugs and no wobble in the stock forks. The Wing is a great bike but, I will keep my XCT.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Test ride!!!! WHEN you test ride a VISION, ensure you put some miles on it and it at least has a 1/2 tank of gas so you get the benifit of feeling how well balanced the bike is. 6 gallons of gas and I can toss it around like a crotch rocket... You will quickly see you get IN it not ON it.
Electric windscreen is a great benefit and have had NO issues with the heated seat/grips riding all but just a few days of this winter. Wind managment even without the lower deflectors is unbelievable!!! My travel time from work is 26 miles with 23 on highway at speeds of 65-75 and have rode with temps down to the low 30's with nothing but my leather jacket and dickies work trousers. I do have the lower deflectors and think they should be installed out of the factor as they make that much of a difference.
Fuel is Avg 200+ per tank at above 40mpg no matter how I ride until I sustain +80 then it is mid 30's. I added Lloydz 2nd filter and drilled the external baffle so got a good sound and much better performance. Plenty to read about that in other threads, just know it works and gets rid of the sewing machine sound.
Storage - Saddlebags look small but after looking at my Winger buddies bags they look fairly close. Trunk is great!
Sound/GPS/CB - Intercomm/CB. PISSED at how Vic packaged this up!!! Even if you just want the CB for your headset, you must buy everything minus the pillion's headset to get it working. WAY too pricey IMHO, over 1200 if you do it yourself but the intergrated controlls are GREAT so I guess you get what you pay for. Antena I went with Firestick, still need to update my thread there. GPS I installed my Zumo 550 so you don't need to blow 1G on the 660 and its mount. Again, plenty of info in the threads there and more coming. Iphone4 pigtail works like a champ with my phone and IPOD. Just upgraded to a IP5 so now use a IPOD and leave it hooked up. Presets work perfect with play lists. Speakers are OK, Radio reception SUCKS but you can pick up a splitter from firestick to resolve that. Havent done it yet but heard GOOD reports from those that have.
Removal of trunk. Piece of cake as long as you got TWO peeps to put it back on. So, two modes to ride it in but with no trunk you loose the CB and intercom.
Lighting - GREAT and plenty of options. Also, adding LED's and some other minor mods can really personalize.
Comfort - one word... UNBELIEVABLE! If your 2up, they may NOT be as comfy as on a wing BUT that seems to be up to the individual.
Cruise control is solid but I feel the center console leaves alot to be desired. Mounted my GPS in the middle and reach is a little weird but what the hey...

I still own my Touring Cruiser so when I got the need for speed and a bagger out it comes and if that is what your digging for cross country with a batwing style and feel, stay away from the Vision but if you like fixed fairing, the Gold wing or Road Glide then you will love the Vision.

Biggest draw back since I bought it??? Takes forever to fuel. Not just getting gas in the tank but EVERYONE wants to talk to you about your ride cuz they aint ever seen anything like it! And fueling aint a big deal either with the cross over split tank, just takes a steady hand and about 2 extra minutes. I will say for me, coming off the TC it took me at least 150 miles to really settle into the Vision. Once there, well I didnt want to get off.

Keep us posted!!!!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
78,0000 plus on an 2002 gl1800. I don't miss anything from the wing. I live in Palm Springs area. There is an area out here where riding in strong cross winds would make me inhale my gold wing seat rectally. The x tour handles wind hands down a hundred percent better. It's like night and day. My better half says the ride is like night and day as well. This is the first bike I've owned where I didn't have to replace the stock seat. I had the cams installed and I don't feel any loss of power. Simply put I have no desire to ever own a gold wing again. Lastly, I started looking for alternatives when Honda started building the bikes back in Japan. Little did I know I'd find a ride that I pers find so much superior.

My spouse says its nice to be back on a motorcycle again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
warnet

I have spent many miles on the Gold Wing though I never owned one. They are great bikes but to me the main reason I ride Victorys is the fun factor. The wing is just too electric for me, second reason for the Victory is I can move my feet around more so than any bike I know of. Third reason, I do my own service and a Victory is much easier. On a cross bike the bags come off so easy making wheel removal much easier when I need a new tire. Wings are great for a certain type of rider and I am not that rider. A friend of mine went to a wing from a Honda VTX 1800. He liked the VTX more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am not a goldwing rider eather I personally like a stripped down bike two wheel and a engine I fell all the extras take away the the experience of riding

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
632 Posts

I was always attracted to the Vision. I really liked the looks of the Vision 8-Ball too but it was too stripped of Vision extras only reason I dont own one is because of the looks of the XC and the option of my removable trunk. The styling of the trunk on the Vision is the only thing I just cant seem to get past. You just gotta ride them all before you decide. Good luck!
FYI, the Vision trunk can be easily removed in about 10 minutes or less....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I came off a 04 Wing, 90K miles, but would ride the bride's Vision from time to time. Great handling, comfort, power etc. I can say that it handled far better than the Wing, not saying the Wing is a bad bike but the Victory had it all over the Honda IMHO. Went to a older TC for awhile, loved it. Then went to a XC. Wife is now on a XC also.

I do most of my maint, easy enough for the routine jobs. Ever try to replace a air filter on a Wing?? Major PIA, shop will charge several hours for the tear down involved. Yes, you can do it yourself, not sure how many do. Valve check 34K or so on Wing, none on Vic. MPG is better on Vic, but you use premium fuel.

You can't beat the roll on speed on a Wing. The Vic is close but no cigar. Towing on both-no problem.

You could go on forever on the advantages of each over the other. Bottom line-they are both great bikes. It comes down to what you the buyer likes. I for one will never own another Wing after riding Victory, mine and my Brides since 05. Victory is USA made, Wing moved back to Japan if that matters on a purchase.

Good luck-hope it helps.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Check out the Victory Owners Group fo rdiscussion too.

Came off a 05 GL1800A, with 100K miles. There are some differences between the two bikes.

Wing power band is much broader wick the throttle on and you have power in 5th from 35 to the limiter 135mph.
XCT you will have to shift and be in the right gear.

Comfort the XCT wins in my opinion. Better air management for the rider and co-rider. Rain comes off the windshield and goes over your head. GL1800 it ends up in your face.

XCT is warmer to ride in cold weather, again air management and a big exposed twin cylinder heater, I am riding in 30 degree weather without my headed gear, just the grips and seat and very comfortable.

Cornering, the wing is a great sports bike with the right suspension uner her. Traxxion Dynamics did mine and turned it into a great machine. The XCT is great out of the box no additional $5000 spent making it handle. Gearing again be in the right gear at the right time, this is vastly different from the GL1800. Plus nothing drags on the XCT in hard cornering feet certainly do not slip off when you drag a peg like the wing.

Co-Rider comfort, the Wing has the best ergonomics for her in the business full stop. Take her for your test ride .. if she is not happy... you know the rest.

Storage, the XCT saddle bags are much bigger than the Wing, and for that matter so is the trunk.

Noise.... again the wing wins hands down smooth quiet sound from teh flat 6. The big Vee is a bit noisy in stock form but not too bad. Crack the throttle wide open on the XCT and it will make noise. Quieter pipes would be nice.

Mileage on the wing run in the high 30s, just getting to 1000 miles on my XCT 2013 and the mielage is about the same maybe a little better. So claim 50 mpg..... some claim mid 40s..... Best tank so far 42mpg worst 35 mpg 950 miles today. will be well 1200 by days end.

Hope this helps.

PS why did I give up the wing, Air management and handling out of the box. I do most of the miles on my bike, she rides on the longer rides in the summer months. cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Interesting note on American made....

Wiring harness comes from China on the 2013 XCT. Fuel injection from Boch (German)

Least the Honda makes all of it own parts in one country.

I would rather have parts from Japan than China.

American made is a rare case anymore, even HD is global, look at eh V rod, Engine designed and made by Porsche.....

Cheers

wacwacwac

·
Registered
848 Posts
Batt13... just noticed the handle...

You do some time in the bush?

EA3 guy myself.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts