Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I didn't see one started here or really close to the top in the history so why not.

I'm a musician... a working one, I'm never going to make it big but I play for decent money and the fun of it. I kind of like a lot of music, Opera, Classical, Rock, Blues, Metal, even older rap when it was good... now it seems like most of the crap is stolen and sampled. SO just wanted to see what everyone is listening to... maybe some lesser known bands than your normal top 100 classic rock hits.

Couple of my favorite bands...
Social Distortion. Classic blue collar rock

Nekromantix Necro-billy... this song has that classic rockabilly western structure, except it rocks out at the end and is about zombie hookers.... fun for all.

Rammstein - probably one of the best industrial metal groups ever to exsist.

I was going to post another one besides Rammstein but honestly I think that almost 90% of people would be offended by them...

ALRIGHT WHAT DO YOU GOT! I'm not here to piss on what people like, just like to see what else is out there!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
I like anything that leaves a melody in my head so I can hum or whistle it after it has ended. I'm big on the old standards for that reason and because I can understand the lyrics and the lyrics aren't screamed or yelled at me. I do like my hearing and make every effort to protect it.
I have a "stump the piano player" tune that only one musician knew in over 50 years of me asking. Without looking it up, I'll bet you don't know "Celery Stalks at Midnight."

·
Registered
742 Posts
I listen to almost everything from Hildegard Von Bingen to Dave Brubeck to Tool... Grew up on Classic Rock and branched out from there. Favorite Opera is Puccini's La boheme. Favorite post punk band, being from D.C., is Fugazi. Just got done listening to White Stripes "Icky Thump."

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like anything that leaves a melody in my head so I can hum or whistle it after it has ended. I'm big on the old standards for that reason and because I can understand the lyrics and the lyrics aren't screamed or yelled at me. I do like my hearing and make every effort to protect it.
I have a "stump the piano player" tune that only one musician knew in over 50 years of me asking. Without looking it up, I'll bet you don't know "Celery Stalks at Midnight."
you mean Will Bradley? Yeah I'm a HUGE big band and swing fan. I love going to the P's man cave and listening to his old big band and 20's and 30's music.
LOVE ME some Benny Carter!

The fact that Brian Setzer actually drew people's attention to that style of music in the 90's still amazes me. However I do feel he really did capture the essence of swing era on a larger scale...

ALRIGHT more!!! Someone post a video of a song they like!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
you mean Will Bradley? LOVE ME some Benny Carter!
I gotta hand it to ya Bubbles, you nailed it. Hearing that Alto Sax of Benny's reminded me of one of my faves, Earl Bostic. Once you've heard his version of Flamingo, you're convinced it was written just for him.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gotta hand it to ya Bubbles, you nailed it. Hearing that Alto Sax of Benny's reminded me of one of my faves, Earl Bostic. Once you've heard his version of Flamingo, you're convinced it was written just for him.
WHAT AN AWESOME VERSION!... seriously it makes me sad that I wasn't alive to experience those great eras of music... I'm just thankful that such technology existed that I can still listen to it now.

Wanted to add Living Sacrifice
I've never heard of these guys before... mainly because I guess I don't usually listen to Christian Metal and all, but WOW this song is GREAT!

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Wanted to add Living Sacrifice
If that's what helps you to make it through the day, then have at it. I was born too long ago to have developed a taste for that. That's why there's so many types of music, eh?cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
WHAT AN AWESOME VERSION!... seriously it makes me sad that I wasn't alive to experience those great eras of music... I'm just thankful that such technology existed that I can still listen to it now.

I've never heard of these guys before... mainly because I guess I don't usually listen to Christian Metal and all, but WOW this song is GREAT!
I just got into Living Sacrifice myself. I listen to lots of stuff but I am a 41 yr old metalhead and keep finding new stuff that speaks to me all the time.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Pretty much anything Mike Patton is amazing.
Tool is my favourite rock band of my generation
The Heavy - great rock/shockabilly
Coheed and Cambria
the mars volta - new age pyschedellic rock
...basically this question is too loaded...

I like anything from tori amos to the dillinger escape plan. Lorde to Marylin Manson (his first two albums are incredible).
Classics like the dead, floyd, the band, never go out of style...basically I can appreciate anything I deem took some talent to create.

I'll argue Rammstein with you though. Their first album was decent...but skinny puppy is the best industrial band ever...practically defined the genre..then ministry...then maybe rammstein.

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Born in 1936 and mom was what we called a housewife--an honorable title then. She kept the radio on, so I grew up to the songs and music of the 20s, 30, and 40s. I was a school kid during WWII, so the songs of that time are especially poignant. So I developed a taste for ballads and the harmony of groups such as the Modernaires, the Mills Brothers, the Andrew Sisters, etc..
When my folks put me to bed, I can remember from my earliest days, they would play classical music albums on the 78rpm record player. That gave me an appreciation for the classics.
Many trips to Hawaii exposed me to their wonderful musical culture. There's a huge music industry there that involves all types of music and they don't give a hoot how its done on the Mainland, they do it their way. We've all heard Israel Kamakawiwo'ole singing Over The Rainbow, but have you heard Willie K, The Makaha Sons, the Beemers, Gabby and so many more. More than half our music collection is Hawaiian.
Aloha Nui Loa da kine Brah.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Sorry for the shitty cut and paste link. Im at work and youtube is cock blocked. This guy....this is Andy McKee. He is my favourite guitar player and I bet youll never here is name outside of youtube...a shame to...AMAZING
It came out great on this end, thanks BigK. That guy is a real guitar technician...he really works it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Pretty much anything Mike Patton is amazing.
Tool is my favourite rock band of my generation
The Heavy - great rock/shockabilly
Coheed and Cambria
the mars volta - new age pyschedellic rock
...basically this question is too loaded...

..then ministry...then maybe rammstein.
You are right on the Ministry part... I didn't really feel this was a question, I just wanted people to post up different things for everyone to experience like the Andy McKee song you posted was GREAT!

The Andy McKee was a GREAT addition BigK! Thank you for that one!

If you liked Andy McKee then you'll love Keith and his handmade 27 string guitar as he is a master luthier.

oh and I forgot my favorite band of all time... Here is a lesser known song by them but embodies all of what makes them great!

·
Registered
530 Posts
And youre right i did love Keith. That was amazing. Thanks!

Tool is my favourite band. Some of you here wont like it im sure. But they have the best drummer currently drummin in the world. Their singer is an ex marine/microbiologist, guitar player is a special fx artist that (before tool made him rich) worked on things like jurassic park, and terminator 2. So their early videos were all produced and done by him. AMAZING videos. Then they met up with the artist Alex Grey and after a few peyot fuel romps in the desert came out with some really trippy concept videos. Here's a taste of tool (hope you don't mind ten min tracks lol);

Later stuff with Alex Grey inspired art;
http://youtu.be/HfZAh9t3pXM

For those of you who don't like harder rock here is that same track covered by a japanese koto ensemble;
http://youtu.be/dm2glu3WLGk

earlier (angrier) stuff made by the guitar player;
http://youtu.be/hglVqACd1C8

and one more because its a great song;
http://youtu.be/Ge5giteZxto

The evolution of tool is unreal. Started off as a garage side project full of angst. Since I was an angsty teenager at the time it was perfect. But from album to album, unlike some mainstream bands, tool strived to get better. Maynard (the singer) took vocal lessons and you can clearly see his progression from screamy metal band to a solid rock singer. He is unreal. Dont get me started on Danny Carey the drummer. He plays a 46 piece like nobody's business. The other thing tool got my respect for is going almost 8 years between albums. Why does that get my respect? Because in this day and age of money hungry musicians they refused to put out an album until they/it was ready. Maynard says it in a documentary (used to be on netflix might still be). They got rich off their first three albums. There are armies of tool fans out there. Tool had a distinct sound. Very critical of society covering themes like child abuse, drug, abuse, and the capitalist destruction of america. In his own words he said people had come to expect that tone from the band. Its really hard to be angry when you own a winery in arizona. So he took a hiatus and just made wine...in the fucking desert for a few years. I can respect that. Not rushing a half assed album for the cash. Blood Into Wine. Good doc. Check it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfF4QLO-L_4&sa=U&ei=KKUnU7XaBMbIqQGSm4DgCQ&ved=0CDcQtwIwAg&sig2=kLCz32raB_s-7rHj2GYtWg&usg=AFQjCNHwfL4X9svOha5pa-KImXmpBZ-u8g

Sorry for the shitty cut and paste link. Im at work and youtube is cock blocked. This guy....this is Andy McKee. He is my favourite guitar player and I bet youll never here is name outside of youtube...a shame to...AMAZING
Man, that is exactly the kind of stuff I like to listen to while I'm driving. A smooth groove like that just seems to help the miles roll by. Here's one from my driving playlist that my band covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDr7YmNWpkg

·
Registered
530 Posts
Man, that is exactly the kind of stuff I like to listen to while I'm driving. A smooth groove like that just seems to help the miles roll by. Here's one from my driving playlist that my band covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDr7YmNWpkg
Jazzy that stuff would be great fun to play all day and anyone can just slide right into a groove like that. More so than the 90s angsty rock like i just posted (but still lovethumb up).

My wife and her brother and his wife are all super talented musicians...im lucky to be able to keep up just around the campfire. Wifey is the type a gal that can pick anything up and figure out how to play it. Me on the bass...i can throw down the funk when I need to, but it seems to come so naturally to them. Im pretty calculated.

Where do you lean to in your band?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
oh and I forgot my favorite band of all time... Here is a lesser known song by them but embodies all of what makes them great!
Maiden is amazing. Definitely my favorite band of all time, as well. Got to see them live at the USANA Amphitheater in SLC in 2012. Coheed and Cambria opened for them...killer show. Guys have been tearing it up for almost 40 years, they get out on stage and play for THREE AND A HALF HOURS. Bruce Dickinson's voice didn't waver one bit. Just freaking spectacular.

When I get out for long rides, I bring my MP3 player, which holds 8 gigs and is full...just barely enough for all of my music. A lot of guys my age are filling up 40 gig iPods these days, but I can't rightly understand how anyone can own that much music and possibly listen to it all and really appreciate it. I put that bad boy on shuffle and repeat and that's plenty for me.

I'm a rock guy, no doubt about it. Played in a couple bar bands, so I know lots of 90s radio rock lol, and enjoy it since it was often what I heard growing up. My favorite modern rock act is probably Foo Fighters, because honestly anything Dave Grohl gets involved with is just going to be awesome.

Most of my collection is metal of many varieties ranging from the original purism of Iron Maiden, to power metal like Blind Guardian, symphonic metal like Nightwish, melodic death metal like In Flames and Dark Tranquillity, even a short foray into more mainstream-friendly black metal with Opeth.

I also dig a lot of classic acts and have plenty of Sabbath, Led Zep, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, etc.

I don't buy much music anymore. In my early twenties a rather large portion of my paychecks went to CD purchases. Last CD I bought was Black Sabbath 13, which was last summer.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts