Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good place to get the oil kit from? Since I assume all the kits are the same, I am most concerned with getting a good price. Where do you guys get yours from, and for how much? Thank you.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My local dealer seems to be the best price so far: $55.99 + tax

Other places I've looked, like Amazon, eBay, etc. had a lowest price of $58.99 + tax.

I'm happy to give business to my local dealer, especially when the price is right!

thumb up

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I was at another local dealer for the Fuel It demo, I looked to see if they sell the oil kit for the same price as the other dealer. Nope! $65.99! $10 extra!

On top of it, they want your name, phone number and address, even if you're paying with cash, or else no sale. The guy in front of me argued about it, and the parts guy told him those are the rules the management made, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Wow. My first and last visit to my closest dealership. This was Mission Motorsports, in Irvine CA. I suggest staying away from their parts department.

I'm very happy with Cycle Dragon in Cerritos, CA - even though farther from my home, they have prices, service, and knowledgeable staff you can't beat.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
C'mon now CR, I've read enough of your posts to know you are pretty with it kinda guy. Put your money where you want to continue doing business, even if they area bit higher. You ain't that close to going to the poor house are you? Eveyone complains when a locally owned store goes under, usually saying, "If I only had shopped there instead of Walmart." Or something like that. Be a sport CR.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C'mon now CR, I've read enough of your posts to know you are pretty with it kinda guy. Put your money where you want to continue doing business, even if they area bit higher. You ain't that close to going to the poor house are you? Eveyone complains when a locally owned store goes under, usually saying, "If I only had shopped there instead of Walmart." Or something like that. Be a sport CR.
LOL. :ltr:

Both dealers are close enough for me to consider them local.
12 miles away is Mission Motors (Irvine, CA), who want $65.99 for the oil kit
14 miles away is Cycle Dragon (Cypress, CA), who want $55.99 for the same oil kit

Not sure if you read my entire post, but it wasn't the price alone that swung the pendulum here.

I'm all for supporting my local dealer, but when you have my luxury of having 2-3 local dealers, you gotta give the business to the honest one, who also happens to charge less. ;)

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Let's see...2 more miles saves me $10. Gotta think on that one. ;-)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I gotta ask.

CrossRoads, what's the big deal about giving your phone number and address to a Victory parts department? It's not like they can steal your ID with it. It's most likely policy and the people at the counter probably dislike having to ask more than the customers complain about having to give it up.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
CrossRoads, what's the big deal about giving your phone number and address to a Victory parts department? It's not like they can steal your ID with it. It's most likely policy and the people at the counter probably dislike having to ask more than the customers complain about having to give it up.
I don't like to receive phone calls with various offers. And I already get too many offers in the mail. The big deal is my privacy. If I want to buy something, I will look into it - I don't like to have people call me trying to sell me something. Is it just me? :)

It's not their sales person's fault - I understand he's just following the orders his superiors gave him. But why would I support a dealer that operates like that, when my other local dealer is nothing but friendly, flexible and professional?

Why would they need name and phone number for a cash transaction? To make sure they can find me if my dollar bills weren't green enough?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't like to receive phone calls with various offers. And I already get too many offers in the mail. The big deal is my privacy. If I want to buy something, I will look into it - I don't like to have people call me trying to sell me something. Is it just me? :)

It's not their sales person's fault - I understand he's just following the orders his superiors gave him. But why would I support a dealer that operates like that, when my other local dealer is nothing but friendly, flexible and professional?

Why would they need name and phone number for a cash transaction? To make sure they can find me if my dollar bills weren't green enough?
I just give them the number to the local Pappa Johns when I get asked.... But I agree most places ask "Can I get your number?" and I say no and they just move on with the transaction. If they were to get Salty about "policy" I would have walked too! Just the principle of the matter!

·
Registered
243 Posts
CR the wife was telling me that it is now against the law to ask for your zip code, don't knoww if its just Calif. or the entire U.S.

steve

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I've been watching this thread with some interest.

When someone asks me about my phone number or email address I just give them som phony address like [email protected] and 333-4444 or something similar.

You don't always need to be completely honest with people who are just doing what their boss's are telling them to do. Chances are they could care less one way or the other for the most part.

My point is; don't be anal about the small stuff. There are much larger concerns going on right now. :)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My point is; don't be anal about the small stuff. There are much larger concerns going on right now. :)
You might be right. But what other concerns do you have? It's a good sign when everybody's bike is running well, and the only topics to discuss are rating our local parts guys. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I gotta ask.

I take it as a big deal anytime I engage a business that approaches me with an attitude of I have to do things their way for the privilege of doing business with them. There are reasonable exceptions, of course, like signing an estimate or service contract but if I run up on a shop that can't make a simple cash sale, my spidey sense starts tingling.

If they want to push me around over $5 what's going to happen if we disagree over real money.

This shop is sending its customers a big signal about how much it values them. I'd go pretty far out of my way to return the favor.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Used to be I always filled out the question-ares with the same bogus info. Especially back in college when they had all the free stuff for filling out a credit card application. Bob Barker. phone number was whatever area code plus 867-5309 of course. [email protected]
Or sometimes I'd use Herman Munster at 1313 Mockingbird Ln.

Anyways... Totally agree. I wouldn't purchase from them on principle. If they refuse to sell me something without my info then I would just say thats fine. My money spends down the road too.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I don't think they use your phone number to make sales calls. They might use it as an identifying number to look you up in their data base. Much better than a SSN or credit card number.

My dealer also calls me when parts I've bought from them come in and just recently when there was a Bike Night event they felt I should know about. If they start making sales calls that were not invited; I'd have a talk with them about not doing it again.

I don't see this as a big deal but I do respect how some might feel they are giving up too much personal info.

·
Registered
111 Posts
numbers

I've been watching this thread with some interest.

When someone asks me about my phone number or email address I just give them som phony address like [email protected] and 333-4444 or something similar.

You don't always need to be completely honest with people who are just doing what their boss's are telling them to do. Chances are they could care less one way or the other for the most part.

bbob: thats funny, i always use - [email protected]

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Since I was at another local dealer for the Fuel It demo, I looked to see if they sell the oil kit for the same price as the other dealer. Nope! $65.99! $10 extra!

On top of it, they want your name, phone number and address, even if you're paying with cash, or else no sale. The guy in front of me argued about it, and the parts guy told him those are the rules the management made, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Wow. My first and last visit to my closest dealership. This was Mission Motorsports, in Irvine CA. I suggest staying away from their parts department.

I'm very happy with Cycle Dragon in Cerritos, CA - even though farther from my home, they have prices, service, and knowledgeable staff you can't beat.

When we sell things over the counter we also ask for this information. For the fact our system wont let us sell things with out a name. I don't know about other dealers but most run off the same system. We don't force people to give it to us, but it helps in the long run. If you say no and you aren't ordering something. We have two names we can sell it under in this case. so either you will be Ohio Cash Sale or Johnny Cash.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Oil kit

At $60. with Ca tax. Buy five get the 6th for $11.00. My kingpin loves this stuff. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts