Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The incremental upgrades are going on. I got my VFC3 and Lloydz AF installed and the bike seems to be running good. Just got the timing wheel and am putting it in this weekend. Job seems easy. Question I have is what to set the thing to? I'm thinking about +2 or 3 tops. I'm running 89 octane right now and I'm hoping I don't have to bump it up to 91. (I'm a cheap bastard) I'll do what I have to to make it run strong. I'm just trying to set my expectations...I do plan on hitting Bentley's Saloon during Bike week for a dyno tune...thoughts?...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I set mine at +4 when I installed it and never thought about it again. And I also use 89 octane, but I have mistakenly filled up with 87 and the bike ran the same.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
And ..... Start your wheel at +4 , no less .

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'll start at +4 then! Mags, I know you live near me. Wouldn't mind a meet & greet ride one bit. I'm thinking about a breakfast run on Sunday morning to Parkers Maple Barn in Mason NH. Likley bring my daughter with me....good eats, then more riding....Don't worry, she's done 500 miles with me in a day more than oncethumb up

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm running 89 octane right now and I'm hoping I don't have to bump it up to 91. (I'm a cheap bastard) I'll do what I have to to make it run strong.
Most of the times you fill up it's only 4 gallons of fuel. So it cost an extra $0.40. It might be worth the extra money. I used to run 87 in my 99 HD Fatboy and just switch to 91. I got a couple of extra MPGs on long trips, I have only been running 91 since. My 2014 XC has 1600 miles on it since January (in New England) and it only gets 91. Switch and do the +4 like everyone has recommended.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
bikes vary

lots of factors contribute to pinging or not, your living at cooler temps helps. our engines are well built but not a blueprint motor, variations of a few more or less cc's in the cylinder heads can raise or lower compression. if it works its good, run the most advance without hearing any ping with the octane you choose. i always use 93 octane, started with 4, now at 6, its easy to change + costs $0, may try a little more if its ok with the summer heat. Pa is a little warm but summer humidity resembles water injection at times!!

·
13,177 Posts
+4 is the overall best setting for the ATS
if you go farther then +4 and the temps get above 95 degrees you'll get some pinging and then you should go to 91 octane.
If you do a lot of hill country use 91 octane if you do meet youker hills and flat land use 89 octane

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took everyones advice and went with +4. I don't think any changes to the VFC settings are really needed! The main thing I noticed is it is smoother and pulls harder. Overall, I think it was money and time well spent! I'm glad I got the reuseable gasket too. The factory gasket broke when I took the cover off....Next step is plugs, accel wires and maybe coils...:D

·
13,177 Posts
your stock coil will work great for you. There will be no improvement with a MSD one on a stock motor

·
Registered
445 Posts
How does a stage 1 flash effect having an ATS?

Read a post saying the flash has timing changes. Is it worth going back to stock flash?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
none i noticed

my 13 hammer had the stage I tri-pro pipe + filter from the original owner. i added a ness filter first, butt dyno said it helped + the great intake sound, later i added the timing wheel set at 4+, again butt dyno said it improved performance. i could pull from a slower speed in a higher gear, an indication of better torque IMO. i always run 93 oct gas, never any pinging. since i installed the dobeck AFR+ and advanced the wheel to +6, bike is running best it ever did. this winter i put the RPW thor on it, again it feels stronger, butt dyno is all i will ever see, the hammer has lots more balls than i do. i enjoy wrenching so i stay with bolt on upgrades done by me, keeping the $$$$$ at a reasonable level. all the great info came from the 2 excellent Vic forums from experienced owners, i am prolly still breakin in with 4500 miles on it

·
13,177 Posts
How does a stage 1 flash effect having an ATS?

Read a post saying the flash has timing changes. Is it worth going back to stock flash?
stay where your at. The Vic flash will add about 2% more fuel to the motor and will advance your overall timing about 2%.
Two percent is nothing.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
good info

thanks johnny, i figured the stealers hands were kinda tied with tuning related to Ma Vic. its common knowledge most of the factory tuning upgrades are minimal + overpriced, only plus is warranty friendly, but a lot of that depends on the stealer!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
i enjoy wrenching so i stay with bolt on upgrades done by me, keeping the $$$$$ at a reasonable level. all the great info came from the 2 excellent Vic forums from experienced owners, i am prolly still breakin in with 4500 miles on it
I agree 100% with this quote. These forums saved me a lot of time, effort, and money by showing me what to do and how to do it so it was done right the first time. I did pay someone much smarter then me (Mr Greer) to tune my bike. If I had a AFR+ I would be adjusting it every time I rode it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
my 13 hammer had the stage I tri-pro pipe + filter from the original owner. i added a ness filter first, butt dyno said it helped + the great intake sound, later i added the timing wheel set at 4+, again butt dyno said it improved performance. i could pull from a slower speed in a higher gear, an indication of better torque IMO. i always run 93 oct gas, never any pinging. since i installed the dobeck AFR+ and advanced the wheel to +6, bike is running best it ever did. this winter i put the RPW thor on it, again it feels stronger, butt dyno is all i will ever see, the hammer has lots more balls than i do. i enjoy wrenching so i stay with bolt on upgrades done by me, keeping the $$$$$ at a reasonable level. all the great info came from the 2 excellent Vic forums from experienced owners, i am prolly still breakin in with 4500 miles on it
reading this and assuming stage 1 adds only 2% as said by Johnny I believe adding the timing wheel to the stage 1 can only be good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts