Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up to this today...

My street never floods but it decided to today. Had a lot of water and some small twigs and other debris go up the left tailpipe.

After the water went down I went out and the bike started right up. A bunch of water came shooting out. Let it run for about 5 minutes and seems like most of it is out now.

Anything I should do to make sure there's no internal damage?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If it fired right up and ran fine , I would say you are good to go !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did. Ran for about 5 minutes on idle before I gave it any throttle. When a did give it some gas a bunch more water sprayed out.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You're ok, When my kids were young they would hydro-lock my ATC in the pond, I would pull the spark plug and pull the recoil starter to pump out the water and all is well.. Being your bike was not running at the time don't worry... thumb up

·
Registered
199 Posts
At worst harden up the fiberglass inside making it less able to absorb sound. Just make sure to run it long enough to burn out as much extra moisture and find something to stuff the exhaust to help block out new moisture from the air from living in such a humid environment.

·
13,031 Posts
I would say go for a hour ride get everything good and hot to burn off and water and special get water out of the wheel bearings

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would change the oil. Just in case any water got in. I would also unplug and spray wd40 in any electrical connections that were the under water

·
Registered
132 Posts
WOW!!!! That's some rain storm!! That's one of the reasons I live at the top of a hill. Plus, just in case the bike doesn't start it's easier to push start.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Another thing a long ride will do is get the water out of the calipers. BTW, if the rear brake reservoir was under water, do a complete brake fluid flush and bleed. Do not use them. +1 on spraying WD-40 on ALL electrical connectors that were submerged. WD stands for water dispersant and it does a good job of it too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Holy crap! I would definitely change the oil. If you see any water in the oil when you change it, change it again and again until it is clean.
Never heard of using wd-40 on electrical connections before. I'd just blow them out with some compressed air and put some dielectric grease in the connections.
Glad it still ran after being under that much water.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Holy crap! I would definitely change the oil. If you see any water in the oil when you change it, change it again and again until it is clean.
Never heard of using wd-40 on electrical connections before. I'd just blow them out with some compressed air and put some dielectric grease in the connections.
Glad it still ran after being under that much water.
You must be too young to have had cars with distributors. They can get condensation in them and spraying WD-40 under the cap would get rid of it. Ah, those were the days.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
WD 40 is awesome for electrical connections. It will disperse the water and prevent corrosion. Dielectric grease works well on dry electrical connections. If my connections got wet I would use WD 40 first then some grease.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
The breather on the tranny could have let some water trough .... So i agree with the changing of oil .... Or if the oil is "new" to drain and re-use if financial is an issue ?

Yup and some cans of WD40 / starter / elec parts / etc, and a LONG ride .....

·
Registered
44 Posts
You must be too young to have had cars with distributors. They can get condensation in them and spraying WD-40 under the cap would get rid of it. Ah, those were the days.
I've owned more than a few cars and a a bike or two with distributors. I can't recall any of them that had a condensation problem that wasn't because of a cracked cap and if that was the case I'd end up letting it dry out and replacing the cap. I will keep the wd-40 for electrical connections idea in the back of my mind in case I ever need it. Learn something new everyday.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
If water has got into anything it needs to be stripped down and cleaned out. The water will have some dirt and thats BAD!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Pull your dipstick , if there is water in the oil after you ran it , it will look milky colored ..... +1 on the rear brake fluid , at the very least make sure no water got in under the cap ...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed that it looks like that POS car is parked in the yard up out of the water but that poor Vic was left to swim in the gutter.
Personally I think he should be taken away from him!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts