Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Gotta Love RPW

6K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  ashmostro 
#1 · (Edited)
Thor pipe.

Pros:
1. Pipe is light as a feather. Picked up the box and couldn't believe there was a complete exhaust system in there.
2. Pipe is sh!t simple to install. A 12 year old girl could probably get it done without the directions. It was harder to get the Bassani off.
3. The split flanges they use at the header connections are PURE GENIUS. All pipes should have these.
4. The package was complete and nicely executed. The pipe fits tight to the bike and the finish is good. Looks good. Sounds good. Makes the best overall area under the curves of any pipe on the market right now.
5. Pipe was cheap. $532 shipped to my door.

Cons:
1. The connection between the collector and the muffler was a little out of round. Used a U-shaped muffler clamp for a car to 'persuade' it. Tighten, loosen, rotate, repeat. took off the U-clamp, applied some high temperature sealant tightened the band clamp on there... voila!

I read horror stories about installing this pipe, you probably have too. All I can say is this exhaust is as easy to install as RPW Slash (AKA SlashNess) pipes are. Piece of cake.

See less See more
#4 ·
I liked the way the Bassani sounded and it makes great horsepower... but it dragged on the ground when I got aggressive in the twisy stuff. The Thor will make better overall torque, it's higher and tighter to the bike.

This is what I should have bought in the first place 5 years ago... Back then it was the Ness 2-1.

#6 ·
Rode the bike today and it runs EXPONENTIALLY better. Much less vibration (I wouldn't have believed it). I used to have to keep the RPMs over 2200 because below that the bike was so abrupt it was un-ridable. Not any more. Pulls cleanly from 1800 RPM. It's quieter everywhere except full tilt boogie. Sounds awesome.

I figured it would be torquier but would lose a little horsepower. Wrong. It winds right out to 6200 RPM without any sign of the power rolling over. Tach is taped off at 6200 so I can't see the needle after that.

I'm still going to have Dr. Dyno put a final tune on it at the end of April... but seriously, it's almost perfect.

#13 ·
damn nice price, wish I hadnt bought the guitar kit and sissybar lol

Now, that has to get flashed right? I have the stage 1 swept pipes on my 09 KP, I would like to get those pipes

#17 ·
Niiiiiiiiiice brudda ;)

glad you pulled the trigger!

I seriously think it's not just a great-performing pipe, but the best looking pipe out there...

I still love mine.

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah when you get on it, it turns heads man. I know you like the overall output, but I'm so glad I baffled it- toned it down at moderate throttle to exactly where I want it, but the WFO output is still earth shaking, which I also wanted. Best MacGuyver mod I've done to her.

BTW, I also had the sealing issues you had at the same joint. Also ended up reforming the profile and also used an exhaust sealant- addressed a leak perfectly.

Did you use new gaskets?

#20 ·
Did you use new gaskets?
Of course! Lloydz gaskets, I bought 2 sets so I'd have some here. I also changed the final drive belt while the pipes were out of the way.

I'm going to visit with Dr. Dyno for a final tune. When this set of tires wears out it'll get a new front brake rotor and a fork oil change with the new shoes. That should do it for this season.

Hey, post a picture of your bike for me, please.

#21 ·
Yeah I used fel-pro gaskets. I like the crushable gasket approach- really helps when your sealing surfaces aren't all that flat (in the case of the RPW's, it's a weld so it's definitely not flat).

Latest pic is one you've already seen, but here you go:

and an older one that's clearer:

#27 ·
Beautiful ! Absolutely awesome looking KP ! I have a question about the peg conversion..... Did it increase your lean angle at all ? And, are you happy with it ? I am more comfortable on my bike than any bike I have ever ridden, but the boards drag, a LOT ! I would think pegs would help alleviate that some, but how much comfort will I lose ?

#22 · (Edited)
Also, your posts about gearing changes have me considering it....

I took my duc down from 15/42 to 15/44 and really liked the balance of torque and top speed. I agree that the Vic stock gearing is pretty tall.

#23 ·
Also, your posts about gearing changes have me considering it....I agree that the Vic stock gearing is pretty tall.
That was the one of the first mods I did to the bike. After I got the 104" motor done I went on a long trip so I put the stock pulley back on. I regretted it the WHOLE TIME. As soon as I got home the 31 tooth went back on to stay.

Your bike looks GREAT!!! Chrome pipe really sets it off.

#24 ·
Thanks man. Gonna do custom bars next... get the perfect hand position for me while also looking more badass than the puny stock setup.

#26 ·
Gettin mine custom built by BR Custom... I wanted a different angle than the flys.

I just sent him the drawing and its gonna be here in 6 weeks! Can't wait!!

#30 ·
You're in luck then. The early model peg mounts are MUCH cheaper.... Do it!

#31 ·
ashmostro.... From looking at your pics, it looks as if you didn't cut the frame bracket to install your RPW. Is that what I'm seeing ? I ordered a big slash and I am waiting for it to get here, so obviously it isn't installed yet. Just wondering if it is something that needs to be done.

#34 ·
I in fact did cut the frame rail as required for this exhaust. Its really not a big deal as the rail to cut is not structural and it is replaceable. I would advise not to make a purchase decision based on the rail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.