Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Good and bad.

There are a lot of good cops out there. Unfortunately for the good there are few bad that make there jobs harder. The bad cops make otherwise honest and good people not trust cops after something like this happens. My dad was a good cop I am happy to say. My dad himself said that there are good cops and bad cops. Growing up with a father as a cop made things different for sure,good and bad. I to have ran into a few bad ones I must say,makes you think different of them after that,yes they are human. Not all cops are in the business to benefit society,some are on a power trip sad to say.:(

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
What a D-Bag!

Call me crazy but I thought a cop had to have Reasonable Suspicion and the probable cause to search a car to include "detaining a car" long enough for a dog walk around.

This dude needs fired.

I like most cops, hell one of my best friend is in Knoxville Police Department. But this guy is out of line.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call me crazy but I thought a cop had to have Reasonable Suspicion and the probable cause to search a car to include "detaining a car" long enough for a dog walk around.

This dude needs fired.

I like most cops, hell one of my best friend is in Knoxville Police Department. But this guy is out of line.
To me it isn't even about a cop, but an authoritarian nanny state. If you were a truly *free* adult, no one could hassle you even if your car was loaded with plants and nekid women charging for sex acts.

We ain't near *free*.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
To me it isn't even about a cop, but an authoritarian nanny state. If you were a truly *free* adult, no one could hassle you even if your car was loaded with plants and nekid women charging for sex acts.

We ain't near *free*.
+1 We aren't nearly as free as we use to be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a cop and I find that officer pathetic. I'm used to seeing rants and raves about everything police do, even if it's necesary to protect their lives.

That tape was unconstitutional, and even if the guy found somthing out of pure chance ( not good police work) it wouldn't stand up in court.

Traffic stops, and the time it takes to investigate any crime relating to one, must be reasonable. Sitting on the side of the road that long waiting for a backup officer is rediculous, especially if you don't have a single charge or violation. Not to mention these guys couldn't look any further from drug traffickers.

And for the record, I have been stopped by a bad cop in Nebraska, driving through on a ski trip. I was given a ticket after I used several cuss words. I was even told by the officer he couldn't believe I was treating another officer like that. I responded by saying he was lieing and deserved everything I gave him.

I was angry a. because I was stopped for somthing made up, and b. it was the third year in a row we were stopped in omaha for total bs. It was a result of out of state plates.

ANYWAYS. My point is to be respectful to officers. I know of one I can think of that pushes the limit. That is out of over 50 guys I know well. We all work at places that have bad apple employees. At least when cops are bad, there's judges that step in and negate the action. A simple complaint is enough in most departments to start an internal investigation. Don't you wish you had that at you're work??

Anyways. I'm done venting.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1 We aren't nearly as free as we use to be.
What, you don't like getting fondled prior to air travel or something?

Saw yesterday that the conservatives on the Supreme Court have ruled it ok for police to strip search anyone being arrested for anything. The case was brought by a guy who was wrongly arrested for supposedly not paying some parking fines or some such and then subjected to a couple of strip searches and lice baths.

At least we're still free to shoot one another...

·
Registered
520 Posts
There's just way to much of this kind of thing going on in the name of "revenue". My son was pulled over at 3 am, the officers reason for pulling him over was that he was driving 5 mph under the limit and "weaving within his lane", have you seen the potholes on Michigan roads! Of course they gave him a breathalyzer and he blew .03 which for a 20 yr old in Michigan is illegal as he's under age. Of course they have now collected many hundreds of dollars from him for this "offense". How about all the no turn on red signs placed well back from sight when you're stopped at the light. Yes, we are far from free these days. The tragedy of it all is that it's breeding disrespect for the law and the police.

·
Registered
123 Posts

This dude needs fired.

I don't mind the bad cops as much as I mind the 'good cops' who give people the runaround when trying to get 'bad cops' off the force. I understand that things happen and that there are a few bad eggs in any system. That would be fine if police in general weeded out the dirtbags better. I don't get the sense that they do though. In massachusetts we seem to breed a 'cops vs everyone else' mentality. At that point it doesnt really matter whether you are a good guy or a bad guy. If you stand beside someone just because you're both cops, you're part of the problem.

I bring all that up because it's an easily glossed over part of the original video. The traffic stop is bad, but he mentions the stonewalling and coverup as well. That's much worse in the long run. One bad cop can be a bad egg, but coverups and stonewalling are systematic corruption.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not the fellow officers on patrol to blame. It's the brass that get all the complaints, and vented to by other officers, that sit on it and don't act. Probably because the bad cop's numbers are soo much better, because he is stretching the legal perameters of his job.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There's just way to much of this kind of thing going on in the name of "revenue". My son was pulled over at 3 am, the officers reason for pulling him over was that he was driving 5 mph under the limit and "weaving within his lane", have you seen the potholes on Michigan roads! Of course they gave him a breathalyzer and he blew .03 which for a 20 yr old in Michigan is illegal as he's under age. Of course they have now collected many hundreds of dollars from him for this "offense". How about all the no turn on red signs placed well back from sight when you're stopped at the light. Yes, we are far from free these days. The tragedy of it all is that it's breeding disrespect for the law and the police.
I think this is an example of bitching about the police simply for the sake of bitching. Driving too slow and "weaving within his lane" are signs of impairment that officers are trained to cue in on. As it turns out, the officer was correct due to your son having a .03 BAC. While that's not even close to being sloppy drunk, it's enough alcohol in your system to effect your driving. Michigan must have a law similar to "Absolute Sobriety" that we have in Wisconsin. Here, if you aren't of legal drinking age, it's illegal to have any alcohol in your system while operating a motor vehicle. Sounds like the police officer conducted a lawful stop, correctly applied the law and cited your son accordingly. I hope he learns from the experience and changes his behavior rather than look to put the blame on a police officer doing his job.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think this is an example of bitching about the police simply for the sake of bitching.
I think you made some valid points, but I think the other poster's comments are valid too.

I have long been of the opinion that police should get poor drivers off the road, period. To me, it doesn't make any difference if they are drunk, tired, or distracted. If they hit me, I will likely die, so the reason for their poor driving is beside the point to me.

If the cops dashboard cam showed that the boy was driving poorly, I wouldn't have an issue with the traffic stop. The zero tolerance laws are for sheepish bird brains however. If the cat is old enough to go sit in a desert and trade lead with disgruntled Arabs, I reckon he's old enough to have a beer without a lot fuss from the gov't.

The more salient point is that cops would NEVER give such a BS citation to a fellow fraternity member or their families. But when you've got a job that starts paying out retirement checks at age 50, the working public will need to be shake down accordingly. Freedom, heh, heh...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think this is an example of bitching about the police simply for the sake of bitching. Driving too slow and "weaving within his lane" are signs of impairment that officers are trained to cue in on. As it turns out, the officer was correct due to your son having a .03 BAC. While that's not even close to being sloppy drunk, it's enough alcohol in your system to effect your driving. Michigan must have a law similar to "Absolute Sobriety" that we have in Wisconsin. Here, if you aren't of legal drinking age, it's illegal to have any alcohol in your system while operating a motor vehicle. Sounds like the police officer conducted a lawful stop, correctly applied the law and cited your son accordingly. I hope he learns from the experience and changes his behavior rather than look to put the blame on a police officer doing his job.
.03 is like 1 beer so please don't try to tell me he was pulled over for weaving. We both know he was pulled over because he was a young guy out at 3 am and chances are they could " find" a violation. I didn't support my sons behavior, ripped him a new one and let him take his lumps with the court but we all know it was a bullshit ticket. I havn't had a drink in over 20 years and have no mercy for drunk drivers but I call bullshit on a lot of what's going on as it's all about the revenue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
.03 is like 1 beer so please don't try to tell me he was pulled over for weaving. We both know he was pulled over because he was a young guy out at 3 am and chances are they could " find" a violation. I didn't support my sons behavior, ripped him a new one and let him take his lumps with the court but we all know it was a bullshit ticket. I havn't had a drink in over 20 years and have no mercy for drunk drivers but I call bullshit on a lot of what's going on as it's all about the revenue.
I've been in law enforcement for 13 years and currently work as a supervisor and a trainer. The majority of my career has been on 3rd shift dealing with drunk drivers, etc. A driver is absolutely impaired at a .03 and I've seen it hundreds of times. Granted, the vast majority aren't effected a great deal but there is no question their driving skills are impaired by the alcohol in their system and "weaving" is very common at that BAC in some people.

It's not a "bullshit ticket" when the law states that the driver shall have ZERO alcohol in their system when operating a motor vehicle. Sounds to me like you should focus your disgust at legislation instead of the police officers on the street enforcing the laws.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been in law enforcement for 13 years and currently work as a supervisor and a trainer. The majority of my career has been on 3rd shift dealing with drunk drivers, etc. A driver is absolutely impaired at a .03 and I've seen it hundreds of times. Granted, the vast majority aren't effected a great deal but there is no question their driving skills are impaired by the alcohol in their system and "weaving" is very common at that BAC in some people.

It's not a "bullshit ticket" when the law states that the driver shall have ZERO alcohol in their system when operating a motor vehicle. Sounds to me like you should focus your disgust at legislation instead of the police officers on the street enforcing the laws.
The ticket was MIP, minor in possession, there wasn't any open alcohol in the car just what was in him. The municipality he was driving thru is well known for this. What happened to the days when they told you to go straight home instead of costing kids that are trying to put themselves thru school thousands of dollars for bullshit tickets?!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sounds to me like the officer did his job. Nothing personal. cheers
I guess the question then is what is the "job". I understand the politics involved these days, the patrol officer is under a Lot of pressure to keep their "numbers" up. The problem is there is a political agenda to all of this that doesn't serve the general public. The "job" is supposed to be to serve and protect not to harass and bilk the general public of their very hard earned dollars. You could give out jay walking tickets all day and be doing your "job" but is that really serving the public at large? There are just way too many patrol cars these days with radar guns sitting on our highways and damn few patrolling our neighborhoods and businesses, not the patrol officers fault however.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts