Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally upgraded my manual charger to this CTEK 'smart' charger.

Hoping the reconditioning feature might breath a little more life in some older batteries, as well as extending the life of them all, in general.

$105 shipped from amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it's only 7 amps.

Impressions on it so far are looking good. It had no problems charging a drained deep cycle camper battery, dual battery setup in truck, and even a completely discharged car battery that read 2 volts.

I had to trick the smart charger for the completely drained car battery though. Hooked the dead battery to a good one with a set of jumpers, then put the charger on the good battery. Couple hours later the car battery had 12 volts an I removed the jumpers an charged it like normal.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I believe it's only 7 amps.

Impressions on it so far are looking good. It had no problems charging a drained deep cycle camper battery, dual battery setup in truck, and even a completely discharged car battery that read 2 volts.

I had to trick the smart charger for the completely drained car battery though. Hooked the dead battery to a good one with a set of jumpers, then put the charger on the good battery. Couple hours later the car battery had 12 volts an I removed the jumpers an charged it like normal.
Be aware that even though it took a charge, it may not HOLD that charge anymore.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah it might be toast, maybe not though so I'm keepin my fingers crossed.

Hopin the charger can work a little magic with it's recondition mode.

From their site, this is just a little rundown of the process.

CTEK’s 8-STEP
CHARGING PROCESSS
DESULPHATION
CTEK wakes up a sulphated or “dead” battery. Most chargers can only revive a battery with around 6 volts remaining – CTEK can recharge from as little as 2 volts.
SOFT START
CTEK tests that the battery is in suitable condition to receive charge.
BULK CHARGE
CTEK’s bulk (main) charge delivers maximum current to charge the battery to about 80% capacity.
ABSORPTION
CTEK maintains the voltage at a steady level until the battery reaches 95 to 99% charge capacity (with a minimal fluid loss).
ANALYSIS
CTEK tests that the battery is retaining the charge that has been delivered.
RECONDITION
Optional high-voltage charge phase to recondition deep discharged batteries, reducing acid stratification (for a longer service life and restore its capacity).
FLOAT MAINTENANCE
CTEK charges the battery to 100`% capacity and maintains it for a maximum of 10 days. Many other chargers continue to float charge for maintenance, risking overcharging and boiling the battery.
PULSE MAINTENANCE
CTEK recognises a fully charged battery and delivers a pulse ONLY when battery voltage drops. This is the SAFEST way to maintain a battery long term, WITHOUT the risk of overcharging and boiling your battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts