Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several Garmin GPS units over the years and seem to have them break on me. So a while back I read something about using a GPS app on my iPhone 5. I downloaded a couple and today I decided to give one of them a try. GPS copilot. I must say I was impressed. It seemed easy to plot a route (although plotting on my iPad is obviously easier due to the size), and it never steered me wrong. I plotted a 225 mile ride with several waypoints and she never got me lost. I think I may stick with this solution for a 1700 mile ride I have planned with my girlfriend in September. I'm not sure how many of you use GPS units - versus paper maps - or how many have tried a GPS app for your phone. I for one came away pleased with this one.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Good feedback. I run a garmin 550 and recently came across a 660 but am not that impressed with it. Maybe I just like the bike features of the 550 for trip statistics while rolling and such. What is your plan for bad weather? I was riding in the storm that came through the east coast last week and my dry gear leaked as well as my travel bag due to the volume of water. Of course I figure not looking at the gps in a mess like that but you get the point. I don't have the tough case on mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim, I have a waterproof case on my iPhone already so no worries about weather. I need to figure out a cleaner way to run the iPhone power cord from the power outlet to the Ram mount I am using. But that should be easy to solve. Today was all about finding out if it worked or not. And it was very warm here today. Call it 105 in some places and the phone didn't seem to have any problems with it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
WAZE

/end thread

Just kidding, but if you haven't looked into it, it's available for Android and iPhone. It is user sourced traffic. That means, if there's an accident 10 miles up and another "Wazer" reports it, the GPS will route you off the highway... around the accident, and back on.

It's gotten so detailed that it will actually kick me down a sidestreet or two to avoid a long traffic light.

Oh yeah.. and police are also part of the reporting :)

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I love Waze for what it is. However, if you are in an extended no-service area, you'll lose maps and connection to information until you get service again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I love Waze for what it is. However, if you are in an extended no-service area, you'll lose maps and connection to information until you get service again.

Good point broggyr, I had let cell signal slip away on theis topic. Got paper as backups as in WV a few weeks back and knew I would loose signal but not where I did. Gps powered on through like always but the family got nervous not hearing from what I though was last check point. When's the last time you used a pay phone. Lol. Realized I had no change.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I bought Garmin's app for the iPhone. It was $50, but I figure I bought the "guts" of a Garmin without the hardware. Works just fine with a waterproof iPhone case.

The best part is, you download the entire map (a region, multiple regions, or the whole country!) ahead if time, and it does not rely on a cellular network connection.

·
Registered
329 Posts

I do believe that Waze caches the route for just this reason.

If I remember, I will test this by using Airplane mode later on when I leave work

·
Registered
539 Posts
I bought Garmin's app for the iPhone. It was $50, but I figure I bought the "guts" of a Garmin without the hardware. Works just fine with a waterproof iPhone case.

The best part is, you download the entire map (a region, multiple regions, or the whole country!) ahead if time, and it does not rely on a cellular network connection.

This is what I use as well. I have it on my old IPhone 3. I have found that my IPhone4 would get very hot on warm sunny days, and I wasn't comfortable letting it get that hot. It would shut down quite often due to the heat, especially inside a weather proof case.

So I remembered I had an old IPhone 3 sitting in a drawer in the house and since you don't need cell service with the GPS app I decided if the 3 gets damaged it's not a big deal. I have since added a heat sink to my case and that seems to be working. It still gets pretty warm, but it hasn't shut down on me yet.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had several Garmin GPS units over the years and seem to have them break on me. So a while back I read something about using a GPS app on my iPhone 5. I downloaded a couple and today I decided to give one of them a try. GPS copilot. I must say I was impressed. It seemed easy to plot a route (although plotting on my iPad is obviously easier due to the size), and it never steered me wrong. I plotted a 225 mile ride with several waypoints and she never got me lost. I think I may stick with this solution for a 1700 mile ride I have planned with my girlfriend in September. I'm not sure how many of you use GPS units - versus paper maps - or how many have tried a GPS app for your phone. I for one came away pleased with this one.
I use this exact program on my Android and love it.....the best feature, unlike Google maps it stores the map data ON the phone so if you dont have data - you can still use the GPS.

Excellent program......and for that reason alone I think its necessary if your going to depend on your phone while traveling.

Between CoPilot and Google Maps I havent used a dedicated GPS in over 5 years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used CoPilot for a trip from Halifax, NS down to Key West, Fla a few years back and it worked incredibly well. No cellular service required, just update maps set route and go. Great for those cross border trips that eat up the cell time in a hurry. Had it on a tablet but should work on smartphone just a great. If you have Bluetooth you should be able to hear the turn by turn instructions too.

Great app.thumb up

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

Is this the new Garmin Viago app?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts