Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a GPS for my XR - In the past, satisfied with a map and compass.
However, another rider informed me that GPS is the way to go. Has anybody found a good one for motorcycles, readable, good audio, etc.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
528 Posts
I used the garmin 2610 for several years. Very helpful. Unless you use the cigarette plug there is no audio. You can add a external speaker.
I got a zummo 660 to replace it. I really like it. Victory carries a mount that connects to the factory radio for audio. It will interrupt what you are listening to for announcements. I haven't adding it to my XC as of yet but will very soon now that it is starting to get riding weather.
You can add a SD card for music or you can go with the zummo 665 which has XM radio.
I am impressed with the 660. Unless you want a custom map (roads of your choosing) there is no need to add maps to the zummo, It is fast. Easy to use.
Hope this helps.

dd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is helpful - I was looking at the Zummo 550 3.5 inch screen but I am slightly more in favor of the 660 4.3 inch screen as I think the added size would make it much easier to read.
As far as audio, I haven't figured that out yet as my XR does not have audio built in and that means I would need some type of Wireless Bluetooth connection.

Thanks for the input.

Charro

·
Registered
528 Posts
If ya check around like I did you can get the 660 for the same price or less than the 550. The 660 has the speaker built in so you may not need a blue tooth.. more than likely you will check the screen anyway to see what lane you need to be in. The 660 has lane assist, it's still rather new so not all cities has it yet. Lane assist shows ya what lane you need to be in when there is multiple lanes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Garmin zumo 660 4.3-Inch Portable GPS Motorcycle Navigator by Garmin
Buy new: $628.41

35 new
Only 3 left in stock - order soon.

Garmin Zumo 550 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator by Garmin
Buy new: $589.97

Only 2 left in stock - order soon.

you should be able to beat the Amazon price but not by much.
I paid $590 shipped. Had to wait for 2 weeks so I could get it with the new updated map.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My buddy Marc has a ZUMO 660, I purchased his 550. I believe the 660 does NOT offer XM. This, of course, may not matter, or you may already have the factory XM.

I think there may be a new ZUMO, the 665 which does support XM?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Zumo 660 vs Zumo 665

My buddy Marc has a ZUMO 660, I purchased his 550. I believe the 660 does NOT offer XM. This, of course, may not matter, or you may already have the factory XM.

I think there may be a new ZUMO, the 665 which does support XM?
I can confirm that is correct. Zumo 665 is the Zumo 660 plus XM.

The Zumo 665 costs more, and comes with XM. Along with the extra monetary cost, you'll also get 2 hours less of battery life. Zumo 660 has 5 hours, and zumo 665 has 3 hours.
zumo-665-1.jpg
zumo-665-2.jpg

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Shouldn't it be plugged into a power source all the time anyway?
It can be plugged in, but it doesn't have to be. You can hop in someone's car and take it with you. Or you could ride somewhere, then take it with you as you go for a hike. Even though your hike route is not mapped, it can track back the position where you left the road, making it easy to find your way back to your horse.

Obviously if your have it plugged in while riding (which you probably would), battery life is not of any concern - but it's still a difference between the two models, and that's why I thought I'd mention it. :eek:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Shouldn't it be plugged into a power source all the time anyway?
Doesn't "need" to be, but I plug mine into the XC power source on the dash. I mounted the GPS on the left, so very convenient. Easy to disconect for and/or put on another bike.

·
Registered
573 Posts
It can be plugged in, but it doesn't have to be. You can hop in someone's car and take it with you. Or you could ride somewhere, then take it with you as you go for a hike. Even though your hike route is not mapped, it can track back the position where you left the road, making it easy to find your way back to your horse.

Obviously if your have it plugged in while riding (which you probably would), battery life is not of any concern - but it's still a difference between the two models, and that's why I thought I'd mention it. :eek:
CC, I replied before you reply was posted. You have a good point...is the reduced battery life all the time, or just when you are using the XM? I take mine with me off the bike often, have a car charger as well.

·
Registered
528 Posts
If your using the zumo on the bike then it will be in a mount of some type. So why not use a power source form the bike. On trips I doubt you want to use the zumo's battery power any way.
The zumo 660/665 has 3 icons that can be used: motorcycle/auto/walking. it can also be used in town for hunting stores when shopping.
When you are plugged into a power source and the power (bike turned off) you will be given a option of it staying on and running on the batter or it to be turned off. When the switch is turned on (power source) it automatically turns on.
With the map source (it comes with the zumo) you can add routes or multiple routes on 1 route with tags (stops) On map source you can also have it to cut a route and then you can drag the route to the roads you want to ride. Very simple and fast.
You can find almost anything with either the map source or zumo easily. I have mounts and hardwired for my zumo for each of my 4 bikes. I haven't add it to my XC yet but will in the next few weeks.
I only use the zumo for trips or doctors office's/malls/stores out of town.
I made a route for a trip last fall, 2,600 miles. I added 3 routes from map source for my first 3 days which had 9 stops at 700 miles. the other routes I added while in my hotel room using the zumo.
Personally speaking I haven't seen anything yet that will outperform the zumo
I do suggest getting a knob lock or gps lock. this will help keeping the mount or gps in case someone decides they want it. The zumo mount hard-wire is somewhat costly. I use the mount lock only because the zumo pops right off and it comes with a protective hard case

dd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts