Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about the "Live TRAC G5 GPS Tracking Device"?

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have never used that particular unit but I use GPS trackers often. Most of mine are battery powered, not hardwired.

I assume you want to know pros and cons? Pros, they are pretty accurate and if hardwired, obviously last as long as you have battery power. Although they do lose the GPS satellite on occassion, which is the most frustrating thing in the world, for the most part, even in urban areas, the ones I have used have been pretty good. Keep in mind though, if you are driving through Chicago for example, adjust your accuracy accordingly, tall buildings can sometimes make GPS units useless on a vehicle.

There is likely a monthly fee on top of the cost of the unit which depending on how often you want updates, can be $30-40 a month. With that in mind, it doesn't take long if you are using it for anti-theft reasons, to make up the cost of your insurance deductible. One more thing to remember, the deeper you hide it on your vehicle, the more likely the unit is to deliver a marginal signal.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
If you have a smart phone and a google account you can set up Latitude for free and then add a friend or wife and they can see where you are. And they can also see you from the computor on ladtitude .

http://google-latitude.en.softonic.com/web-apps

Spotwalla is free also but it uses cell towers to ping your location and it looks like your all over the place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts