Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to find a threat on this topic. I have a 2012 XCT and want to ram mount my GPS to the left handle bar and connect to a switched power source. Does the XCT have accessory leads in place? (My RSV had an accessory lead under the seat.) Do I look under the seat? Fuel tank? Or should I pull the front of the fairing? I was thinking of going with the faring, but after reading the instructions thought that might be a bigger job than the seat and fuel tank. Just don't want to take things apart and discover no solution for my wiring. What do you all suggest as the easiest solution?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm not sure if the three power outlets on the XCT are switched or not. I'm pretty sure they are not, but perhaps there is someone who may know for sure or if there is a switched power source available. Ride safe and often.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Just curious why you want the power to the GPS switched? If you are leaving the GPS on the bike overnight or even a couple days it does not draw enough power to deplete your battery. If you are worried about the power cord when the GPS is not mounted, you could make a pretty simple boot for it to protect it from the elements.

Not flaming here, just curious why it is important to have a switched outlet.

I have a ram mount attached to the plastic filler piece under our windshield. When I mount the GPS it is dead center just above the instrument panel. For now (local 1 day rides) I am relying on my GPS battery. I have a spare power cable on order from Garmin and plan on tapping off the back side of the fairing power outlet and running it up and out thru that plastic filler piece.

Pulling the fairing outer is pretty straight forward, pull the headlight and then there are 6 or 8 screws to remove and off she comes exposing everything inside.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree with LazyDawg, unswitched is the way to go. That way if you need to pull over and look at some options on a route, etc, you can do so with the engine switch off. But you can just pull the headlight out and find a power source in the faring to power a GPS - no problem.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As to why I want it switched, that is just how I've done it in the past. All the other accessories on the bike and in my cars shut off with the switch, so I hadn't even thought of not switching. When I do pull over and shut the bike off, the GPS asks if I want to continue on battery power. So I don't see that as an issue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Outer front fairing is really easy to pull. I found an unused two wire switched connector inside fairing on my '12 XCT; which I simply pushed my bare zumo wires into and wrapped with electrical tape. Has worked fine 11,800 miles and 8 months.

;

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have never had my GPS tied to a switched line. My main reason is that, when stopping for gas or a short break and you are on a route, you have to wait until the GPS reboots to get it back up and running.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Outer front fairing is really easy to pull. I found an unused two wire switched connector inside fairing on my '12 XCT; which I simply pushed my bare zumo wires into and wrapped with electrical tape. Has worked fine 11,800 miles and 8 months.

;
Any chance I will find the connector by just pulling the head light?

·
Registered
164 Posts
You should be able to find it with just headlight removed.

/

·
Registered
20 Posts
can you post pictures so we can see what your doing ?
I too want to switch my GPS and Power outlet. (but was planning on using a switch (on the dash) as I have one for heated grips and the other will be used for power outlet thru a relay. then all will be good.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Xcanada,
I just finished the job. While in there I was wishing someone would have taken pictures and posted, but of course didn't think to do so myself. The most difficult part was pulling off the chrome headlight trim. I couldn't get a hold on it so wedged a plastic spatula in one side, then place a couple of cardboard pieces to hold that side while using the spatula on the other. Thne four bolts to take out the headlight housing and unplug the two connectors from the bulbs. When sitting facing the bike I reached in on my left side and found a two wire connector - it looks just like the connector on the lower head light bulb. It had a tag on it saying "upper light". No idea what that's about, but I plugged in the wires for my GPS and it works. Comes on when the ignition key is turned on, goes off when the key is shut off. Just the way I like it!

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
My GPS has a USB type connector with a lighter plug on the other end. Are you applying 12v directly to the wires, as if you'd cut the lighter plug off?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a hard wire kit from the Mount Guys for my Nuvi 550. One end plugs into the GPS the other end is a red and a black lead. It comes with the insulation removed from the very ends and the stranded wire soldered. Pretty handy as they are stiff enough to plug into the connector. Between the two ends of the wire there is a black box (smaller than the one on my computer chargers) as well as a round plastic piece. I wasn't sure if my car charger could be cut off and hard wired - it does not have the "box" in the lead so I didn't want to experiment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts